• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

On War in the East
03-15-2011, 10:43 AM,
On War in the East
Here are my impressions of War in the East:

1) With PzC one moves battalions and manuvers divisions, In WitE one moves divisions and manuvers corps and armies.

2) It reminds me a lot of the old GDW "Fire in the East."

3) Great fun! AI seems competent, though I do not know how the AI could handle a full 41-45 campaign.

4) Lots of detail that one can ignore, or get into...such as replacing commanders, etc. Thus, rather a steep learning curve, but nothing unreasonable.

5) Overall...glad I spent the bucks on it, well worth the money.

6) I am playing a 41-45 campaign as the German via the Slitherine system...it is easy to use---when issuing a challenge remember NOT to set a password! I rather like Slitherine as it is easy to use once you run through it one time.
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2011, 12:32 PM,
RE: On War in the East
(03-15-2011, 10:43 AM)Aolain327 Wrote: Here are my impressions of War in the East:

1) With PzC one moves battalions and manuvers divisions, In WitE one moves divisions and manuvers corps and armies.

2) It reminds me a lot of the old GDW "Fire in the East."

3) Great fun! AI seems competent, though I do not know how the AI could handle a full 41-45 campaign.

4) Lots of detail that one can ignore, or get into...such as replacing commanders, etc. Thus, rather a steep learning curve, but nothing unreasonable.

5) Overall...glad I spent the bucks on it, well worth the money.

6) I am playing a 41-45 campaign as the German via the Slitherine system...it is easy to use---when issuing a challenge remember NOT to set a password! I rather like Slitherine as it is easy to use once you run through it one time.

How goes your campaign? What is your main 1941 objective? :)
03-15-2011, 12:44 PM,
I am going after Leningrad.

Got held up, perhaps fatally, with a multi-week problem in Riga. Engaged in a furious battle with army group south attempting to pocket much of the Soviet southern flank east of Tarnopol. Vicious Soviet breakout attempt, hope I can contain it...gosh knows.

Slower in the center and north than I would have liked---cursed Riga! Next turn going to try to force the Dnieper with 2nd PzG. Hope to grab Pskov next turn. Will push Hoth and the boys east into the land bridge and they hook north to Velenki Luki (sp), and hope to grab Leningrad before mud...looks grim though. I think I am taking too many German casualties for my own good.

A real nail biter at this point.
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM,
Well, I closed and smashed the pocket in the south..funny how satisfying it was to destroy those guys. Air recon shows still further lines of Soviet troops along the Dneiper.

I have found that one does not just cross a major river in the face of opposition. AGC got its nose nice and bloody in the vicinity of Mogilev.

Must be a trick to forced river crossings...

I am just getting into refit and changing commanders...

While a big game, the turns do not really take much longer than a PzC game.

Great work to the devs on this game!