• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What's the "Corps Franc d'Africa"?
03-14-2011, 01:54 AM,
What's the "Corps Franc d'Africa"?
I've seen them in Tunisia 43 but i can't figure what are they, even searching internet. Was it a French corps integrated into the commonwealth? Or maybe Canadian French speaking troops?
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2011, 03:28 AM,
RE: What's the "Corps Franc d'Africa"?
If you take the time to read the designer notes.......;)

"Finally, there is the French unit known as the Corps Franc d'Africa that was organized by the British in Northwest Africa, and it was neither Free French nor not Darlan. These units equipped by the British and were very different from the US re-equipped Vichy units. So in game terms we made these units as “Commonwealth”, so they would stand out on the map as different from the ex-Vichy Darlan French units. This too is not technically correct, but the Corps Franc does not serve near any Australian and New Zealand units so we felt this was a better way to distinguish them among all the allied units on the map."
03-14-2011, 03:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-14-2011, 03:58 AM by Arkan.)
"Corps Franc d'Africa" is not a french name... it should be "Corps Francs d'Afrique"

I join an extract of french wikipedia page about free corps

" * Jean Sassi (Corps Francs d'Afrique)

Voir aussi[modifier]
Bibliographie sur le sujet[modifier]

* Archives de la 2e division blindée, De Giraud à De Gaulle : Les corps francs d'Afrique, par Romain Durand
* Georges Elgozy, La vérité sur mon Corps Franc d'Afrique, Monaco, 1985.
03-14-2011, 05:19 AM,
Big Grin he! thanks, i should read the notes more carefully... So in a nutshell, they were French citizens from Algeria and Morocco that formed a corp, organized by the Britons.
03-14-2011, 06:16 AM,
If you can find Les Forces Francaises dans la lutte contre l'Axe en Afrique -La campagne de Tunisie 1942-1943 by Spiva and Leoni (service historique) you will see page 311 up to page 325 all about the birth and operational use of the corps franc d'Afrique.
Created by the initiative of Giraud on November 25th 1942, made up of volunteers who were not assigned to the army. At the beginning it was supposed to be constituted of 2 half-brigades of 3 battalions each. The 2 first battalions equipped with British material (no artillery and only light armament) are then send on the left of the British army. etc..
Send this user an email
03-14-2011, 10:14 AM,
(03-14-2011, 03:54 AM)Arkan Wrote: "Corps Franc d'Africa" is not a french name... it should be "Corps Francs d'Afrique"

I'm not going to get into foreign language spelling.:)

Its called "Corps Franc d'Africa" in my copy of "Bloody Road to Tunis" by Rolf, but you can change it as you see fit in your OOB if you don't like my spelling.

Glenn
Send this user an email
03-14-2011, 12:40 PM,
(03-14-2011, 10:14 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote: Its called "Corps Franc d'Africa" in my copy of "Bloody Road to Tunis" by Rolf, but you can change it as you see fit in your OOB if you don't like my spelling.

Glenn
On my copy of The Bloody road to Tunis I have at the bottom of page 295 "Corps Franc d'Afrique" which is the oob section of the book Appendix A.:whis::laughing:
And in another of your primary sources: United States Army in World War II - Mediterranean Theater of Operations
page 505:
Quote:Two French battalions of the Corps Franc d'Afrique (CFA) protected that trail and elements of the British 139th Brigade, the road junction.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-...WA-26.html
Send this user an email
03-14-2011, 12:59 PM,
You say tomato, I say tamato...
03-14-2011, 12:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
OMG it is an error!Big Grin
I dunno how that happened but Blackie can tell you all stories abiout my skill with words. LOL Spelling and grammar has never been my strong suit.

Corrected now - will be in the first patch for sure:smoke:

For now if someone needs the spelling corrected right away - drop me a line and I will tell you how to do it. I am easy to get a hold of.

Glenn
Send this user an email