• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Triple A Tournament
10-02-2010, 10:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011, 08:28 AM by Mad_Dog.)
Triple A Tournament
Standings

Rabbit: 130
Laza: 110
Nikb: 60
Landser34: 50
hero_33: 95
tallin: 125
cazart!: 135
fastphil: 90
scots greys: 45
Checkmate King 2: 90
Ozgur Budak: 150
Phatman: 50
Cyrano: 80
Sir Killalot: 50
Scenario Scoring:

25 = Major Victory
20 = Minor Victory
15 = Draw
10 = Minor Loss
5 = Major loss

Tourney Bonus Points:

1st Place -- 100 points
2nd Place -- 75 points
3rd Place -- 50 points
All Others -- 25 points

Updated Oct. 3 with a new zip file that should work for everyone.

Here is the scenario and matchups for Round 1 of the Triple A Tourney.

Blocking Action at Lipki

designed for PBEM
Type: Meeting Engagement
Weather: Normal Conditions

Victory Conditions:
Germans or Russians capture 4 objectives: Major Victory
Germans or Russians capture 3 objectives: Minor victory
Germans or Russians defend their 2 objectives: Draw

Near Borisov, July 3rd 1941: During the opening stages of Barbarossa the first great pincer movement on the Central Front occured between the cities of Bialystok and Minsk Pocket, the Soviet Command was forced to commit whatever units they had available in an effort to form a new defensive line. Time became the prime objective that the Soviet Command was fighting for. To gain the required time, a crack unit, the 1st Moscow Motorized Rifle Division was sent to intercept Guderian's 18th Panzer Division as it struck towards Smolensk. If Smolensk were to fall, Moscow would be no more than 230 miles behind the fighting lines. The panzers had to be slowed down if they could not be stopped, no matter what the cost. It was a little more than 6 miles east of Borisov, near the viillage of Lipki that the two armored spearheads met. This was to be the first meeting that the units of Army Group Center would have with the superior T-34 and 52 ton monster KVII tanks.

Make sure you note the special victory conditions. This is a small, shorter scenario, with a small number of units, so every move is really important. I would say it's almost perfectly balanced as well, and each side has a lot of mobility, so there should be some good fights. I think four weeks is a good amount of time to finish this one up, please try to finish around then.

Here is everyone's opponents:

Round 1:

Cyrano (Draw) vs hero_33 (Draw)
hero_33 (Minor Victory) vs Cyrano (Minor Loss)

tallin (Minor Victory) vs Nikb (Minor Loss)
Nikb (Minor Loss) vs tallin (Minor Victory)

Phatman (Major loss) vs cazart! (Major Victory)
cazart! (Minor Victory) vs Phatman (Minor Loss)

Laza (Minor Victory) vs Sir Killalot (Minor Loss)
Sir Killalot (Minor Loss) vs Laza (Minor Victory)

Checkmate King 2 (Major Loss) vs Ozgur Budak (Major Victory)
Ozgur Budak (Major Victory) vs Checkmate King 2 (Major Loss)

fastphil (Minor Victory) vs scots greys (Minor Loss)
scots greys (Minor Loss) vs fastphil (Minor Victory)

Landser34 (Minor Loss) vs Rabbit (Minor Victory)
Rabbit (Draw) vs Landser 34 (Draw)

Have fun, and good luck!

Attached Files
.zip   Triple A Tourney.zip (Size: 14.97 KB / Downloads: 13)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

01-02-2011, 10:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM by Mad_Dog.)
RE: Triple A Tournament
Here is the scenario and matchups for Round 2 of the tourney.

Directive Number 3

Scenario Size: Medium
2 Player Game?: Yes
AI Play?: German or Russian

Designers' Notes: Night Action

Scoring Conditions:
MAJOR VICTORY- Russians take 3 objectives
MINOR VICTORY- Russians take 2 Objectives
DRAW- Russians take 1 Objective
MINOR DEFEAT - Russians take 0 objectives and less than 125 pts in losses
MAJOR DEFEAT- Russians take 0 Objectives and over 125 pts. in losses

2300 HOURS 29 JUNE 1941 VICINITY OF DUBNO, RUSSIA

Scenario Description:
On 22 June 1941, Hitler's Reich unleashed Operation Barbarossa upon the Soviet Union. Unlike Armeegruppe Nord or Mitte, Armeegruppe Süd's first contacts would force them to fight through RKKA troops who were skillfully led and determined to defend their homeland. By 23 June Panzergruppe I managed to force open a breach between the Russian 5th and 6th Armies. Proving to be a dire situation for the Soviet Forces operating in the Ukraine, the German effort now concentrated towards Dubno in a effort to exploit this recently formed gap between formations.

In response to the growing German threat, General Timoshenko unleashed a massive armored counterattack comprised of six mechanized corps that aimed itself at the flanks of Panzergruppe I. Titled "Directive Number Three" the third great tank battle of the young campaign had begun and would escelate into a 4 day slugfest that involved several hundred German and Russian AFV's.

During the night of the 26th-27th, Ryabyshev's 8th Mechanized Corps recieved it's orders to advance towards Verba Berestechko. With his units still scattered along the MLR, Ryabyshev assembled a "mobile group" from elements of the 34th Tank Division that was to be assigned this delegated task.

Meeting inital success, Mobile Group Popiel blasted into the rear areas of the 11. and 16. Panzerdivisions as it started it's drive for Verba Berestechko. Quick to react, the German commanders assembled a kamfgruppe to stop the Soviet Armored thrust from reaching their isolated units in the vicinity. Popiel's Armored contingent managed to drive on for 2 more days despite, but by the evening of 29 July, 1941 all hopes of reaching their objectives were abandoned. By 2 July, the group was threatened with encirclement and began withdrawing towards friendly lines.

Sources:
ASL Scenario AP7 "Directive Number Three" - Bill Sisler

This scenario, by the great F. Lee Harmon Jr., is a lot of fun, with some early war tanks that I haven't seen in any other scenarios. I played against Phatman, and despite doing a ton of damage to his German forces, we ended up with a draw. Please note the special victory conditions, we'll be using those for the tournament. Here are the matchups:

Round 2:

fastphil (Major Loss) vs Ozgur Budak (Major Victory)
Ozgur Budak (Major Victory) vs fastphil (Major Loss)

Phatman (Major Loss) vs Rabbit (Major Victory
Rabbit (Minor Victory) vs Phatman (Minor Loss)

Nikb (Draw)vs Checkmate King 2 (Draw)
Checkmate King 2 (Draw) vs Nikb (Draw)

Landser34 (Minor Loss) vs cazart! (Minor Victory)
cazart! (Major Victory) vs Landser34 (Major Loss)

hero_33 (Minor Victory) vs scots greys (Minor Loss)
scots greys (Major Loss) vs hero_33 (Major Victory)

Sir Killalot (Minor Loss) vs Cyrano (Minor Victory)
Cyrano (Major Victory) vs Sir Killalot (Major Loss)

tallin (Minor Victory) vs Laza (Minor Loss)
Laza (Draw) vs tallin (draw)
Good luck!

02-28-2011, 07:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011, 08:27 AM by Mad_Dog.)
RE: Triple A Tournament
Here is the scenario and matchups for Round 3 of the Tourney.

A Knife in the Back at Sowchos 79
Designer: Jeff Conner

The Drive to relieve Stalingrad was on! The Chir River would anchor the left flank of the assault. However, the Russians were not content to allow the Germans to advance unhindered.

The 1st Tank Corps attacked across the Chir and thrust aside elements of the 336th Infantry Division that tried to stop them as the Russian armor seized Sowchos 79, a large collective farm deep in the German's rear. It was now imperative that the Russians be thrown back across the Chir if the attempt to relieve the surrounded 6th Army was to succeed.

Tasked with this job was General Balck's 11th "Ghost" Panzer Division, newly arrived from the Rostov area. Balck maneuvered his troops into the Russian's rear and then attacked from multiple directions. The panzers overran a column of Russian reinforcements and then struck the Russian tanks, which had finally turned to face the threat in their rear.

By the end of the day, Sowchos 79 was back in German hands, more than 50 Russian tanks were burning hulks and the Russians were in retreat back across the Chir, but the Ghost Division had been lost during a vital day in the drive to Stalingrad and the assault would eventually bog down, only a stone's throw from their beleaguered comrades.

I enjoyed this scenario a lot when I played it against Phatman. It helped that I had some amazing luck with my armour, while he had the opposite, but I wouldn't count on that happening for anyone this time. In my opinion, this is a big scenario, with a lot of units. The terrain works against the Germans as well, there are a lot of elevation changes, and this combined with the snow conditions means you have to plan movement very carefully. Lots of tanks, lots of infantry and a collective farm to fight over, have fun!

Round 3

Checkmate King 2 (Major Victory) vs Cyrano (Major Loss)
Cyrano (Major Loss) vs Checkmate King 2 (Major Victory)

fastphil (Major Victory) vs Phatman (Major Loss)
Phatman (Draw) vs fastphil (Draw)

tallin (Major Victory) vs Landser34 (Major Loss)
Landser34 (Major Loss) vs tallin (Major Victory)

scots greys (Major Loss) vs Rabbit (Major Victory)
Rabbit (Major Victory) vs scots greys (Major Loss)

Laza (Major Victory) vs hero_33 (Major Loss)
hero_33 (Minor Loss) vs Laza (Minor Victory)

Ozgur Budak (Major Victory) vs NikB (Major Loss)
Nikb (Major Loss) vs Ozgur Budak (Major Victory)

cazart! (Major Victory) vs Sir Killalot (Major Loss)
Sir Killalot (Minor Loss) vs cazart! (Minor Victory)