• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scandinavian testers needed
02-28-2011, 09:31 AM,
RE: Scandinavian testers needed
(02-28-2011, 01:16 AM)low_bidder Wrote: Actually it ties in with Scenario AFNORTH #3 pretty good. IN that game, the USA is setting up an experimental ABM site along the coastline of either Sweden or Norway. Not sure which nation the little town belongs to.

Lakselv is Norwegian. In that region any deployment of NATO forces, especially non-Norwegian units, would be seen, by the Kremlin, as an outrageous provocation vs the USSR .

In the 60s the Soviet massed units in the border area, even driving AFVs up to the border itself, because they were unhappy with NATO excersises.
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2011, 07:48 AM,
That would be a great place for ABM missiles. You would have the angle and could pick them off in boost phase.
I decided to go ahead and change out the Soviets in 'Village of war.' I spent all morning doing the French half of my France to the rescue scenario. Then I clicked the wrong place and it vanished into cyber space. So as long as I'm re-doing stuff.
03-03-2011, 08:41 AM,
(03-02-2011, 07:48 AM)low_bidder Wrote: I decided to go ahead and change out the Soviets in 'Village of war.'

The Finns have garrisons in Sodankylä like the Jeager Brigade - but if these follow the Swedish pattern the 'Brigade' will be a training installation, not a field unit. A Swedish "regiment" does not mobilise in time of war, it is a sort of traning depot.

I would imagine the Jaeger Brigade at Sodankylä is also responsible for training and equipping various other units, like "Local Defence" formations made up of older conscripts etc - that would mobilise in time of war. IIRC they also have an artillery unit stationed near Sodankylä (although it is possible it ended up there after the end of the cold war). The Finns are great believers in artillery and made very good use of it during WWII.

Units of the Jeager Brigade used Swedish type Bv206 same as Swedish Norrlandsskytte (Arctic infantry) - good mobility off road, good mobility regardless of snow coverage (wide tracks and light weight makes it float on the snow). A serious tactical drawback however is the fact that it is not armoured, it is made of plastic.
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM,
Sodankylä would equip and create troops from the men in training in times of crises, they should be rather like conscript than regular but they would be in use within a day of the event. If the situation had been tense for a longer period then there would be all sorts of units available but in a situation that had gone from bad to worse in a matter of hours I doubt that there would be anything but men in training.

"Noppa" or "Dice" for you English speaking fellows is indeed unarmoured but very mobile piece of equipment, placing a MG on top does not make it a good combat vehicle though. For a purpose of Jaeger Brigade it's a good choice. If you look at a map of Finland you easily notice how few roads lead to the East border. Blocking the few roads is easy for even a smaller force. Jaegers need to be able to move in the forests and swamps even during winter.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
03-05-2011, 04:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2011, 04:29 PM by low_bidder.)
In this scenario, The Pact has been conducting combat operations in Central and Southern Europe for 6 to 8 weeks. They have stopped (been stopped?) almost into France. A flood of war material is pouring across the Atlantic. Soviets counter with a thrust toward Norway's coast, withthe idea of setting up air bases to try and stop the NATO convoys. That is foiled by Sweden and the US Marines. So the diplo's are negotiating. So far MAD has held. This scenario is based on the US trying to throw Mad out with an ABM system.
I managed to turn an LST into a FFG by putting Hawks in the weapons slots. I have a bunch of civilians representing technicians. Now I just have to try and change the SAM's I'm using to represent the ABM's into something that the Russians can load on their Mil-8's and fly off with that NATO units won't shoot up Trying to fool the game engine here.
03-16-2011, 08:05 AM,
(02-24-2011, 04:54 PM)Vesku Wrote:
(02-24-2011, 05:01 AM)low_bidder Wrote: The closest I've come to Scandinavia is Copenhagen, which a Norwegian once assured me, isn't Scandinavian.

Scandinavia is the piece of land north of Denmark, there's some water between them to make it easier to tell them apart :)

Hmm.. don't believe the Norwegians..they just try to forget that they in the past was the weaker part of a union with Denmark;-)
Denmark is a part of Scandinavia (Vesku..shame on you).. but we have no midnight sun (but that counts for 75% of Scandinavia)
Lessons over for today!
03-16-2011, 01:00 PM,
I set vis at 4 for a zero-dark 30 para drop. 14 for a hour before dawn attack, would that be about right for July, August?
03-16-2011, 03:30 PM,
(03-16-2011, 08:05 AM)Stonefire Wrote: Denmark is a part of Scandinavia (Vesku..shame on you).. but we have no midnight sun (but that counts for 75% of Scandinavia)

Didn't see the smiley there? I find it funny that someone from Norway doesn't count Denmark part of Scandinavia.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
03-18-2011, 03:39 AM,
(03-16-2011, 01:00 PM)low_bidder Wrote: I set vis at 4 for a zero-dark 30 para drop. 14 for a hour before dawn attack, would that be about right for July, August?

I think that visability would depend on what latitude you are on, and the actual weather (is it clear, cloudy, foggy, raining etc).

Latitude 68 N:

July 01 -/- (no sunset)
July 11 -/- (no sunset)
July 21 Sunrise at 0051/Sunset at 2235 (Swedish time).

August 01 Sunrise at 0157/Sunset at 2132
August 11 Sunrise at 0243/Sunset at 2044
August 21 Sunrise at 0325/Sunset at 1959

(Lakselv, Norway - if that is where the paradrop takes place - is even further north will have even more sunlight - at the same time it is common with heavy fog in that area limiting visability to 5-10 meters).
03-18-2011, 06:38 AM,
(03-16-2011, 03:30 PM)Vesku Wrote:
(03-16-2011, 08:05 AM)Stonefire Wrote: Denmark is a part of Scandinavia (Vesku..shame on you).. but we have no midnight sun (but that counts for 75% of Scandinavia)

Didn't see the smiley there? I find it funny that someone from Norway doesn't count Denmark part of Scandinavia.

Sorry - missed the smiley - my turnip must have been paralysed in the moment of writing (or rather reading).