• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

John Tiller DRM!!! [Problem solved]
02-10-2011, 11:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 08:40 AM by jomni.)
John Tiller DRM!!! [Problem solved]
The John Tiller DRM has hit me. After working fine for some time, I am now unable to play Modern War in my notebook (my 2nd install) as it now asks for a serial number. Once I enter my number it says there are no available activations.

The good thing is that support is responsive. But so far there are no solutions.

Will keep you guys updated.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM,
RE: John Tiller DRM!!!
(02-10-2011, 11:17 AM)jomni Wrote: The good thing is that support is responsive. But so far there are no solutions.

You never have to worry about their tech support. The are the best in the business and they will not blow you off, hoping you'll go away.

What operating system(s) are you using on your two activation computers?
02-10-2011, 01:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011, 01:09 PM by jomni.)
Desktop = Vista 32
Laptop = Windows 7 64.

They also asked me about the internet connections that I use. The laptop goes around and it uses different connections in different countries and places. Could that be the culprit?

Then he sent me new .exe files. But still didn't work.

Now they asked for my serial number.
Send this user an email
02-10-2011, 01:25 PM,
Rest assured, you are in good hands! They are the computer version of Allstate Insurance; "You Are In Good Hands with Allstate! Big Grin

I'm sure they will get you back up and running, before you know it!
02-11-2011, 12:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 12:57 AM by Rabbit.)
I assume you didn't replace any components in your laptop recently, particularly your hard drive. Some programmers protect their application's licensing by taking advantage of your hard drive's unique identifier number. Unfortunately if you replace your hard drive, those apps will no longer work unless can you re-register them or change your disk ID number back to what the previous one was.

Just a wild guess here, but perhaps Modern War's serial number gets associated with the MAC address of your network card. MAC addresseses are unique numerical identifiers and your wireless network connection will have a different MAC address from your wired network connection. (I don't work for JTS or HPS, this is just a guess by me that they might associate the installation/serial number with the MAC address, particularly since they asked about your Internet connections.)

You might try installing Modern War while connected to the Internet in the same fashion as when you had first installed it. In other words, if you first installed Modern War while you had an Internet cable plugged into your laptop, try disconnecting or disabling your wireless connection and install Modern War while you are plugged directly into the network. If you first installed Modern War while connected wirelessly, try unplugging your network cable and install Modern War while connected wirelessly.

HTH,
Rabbit
02-11-2011, 08:39 AM,
Problem solved. I use a 3G USB modem once in a while and it apparently reset the MAC address. My problem is now fixed as they have reset their servers for me to be able to reinstall. I would still be able to use the 3G USB modem.

I don't care much about the presence of DRM as long as there are people who will give me quick support like Rich from John Tiller Software.
Send this user an email
02-11-2011, 09:00 AM,
RE: John Tiller DRM!!! [Problem solved]
Good News! It is good to hear that it turned out to be a quick fix!
02-12-2011, 12:31 AM,
Nice!
Send this user an email
02-12-2011, 06:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2011, 06:07 PM by Gasbag.)
I'm glad to hear that your problem has been solved. However your story has convinced me not to purchase any JTS product though (as long as he has this DRM policy). You should not have to go through this kind of trouble in order to install or play a game that you legitimately paid for.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
02-13-2011, 02:11 AM,
(02-12-2011, 06:04 PM)Gasbag Wrote: I'm glad to hear that your problem has been solved. However your story has convinced me not to purchase any JTS product though (as long as he has this DRM policy). You should not have to go through this kind of trouble in order to install or play a game that you legitimately paid for.

You shouldn’t use this experience to write off all current and future John Tiller game titles. This experience should easily back up what a lot of John Tiller HPS/JT Software game owners already know, that they offer the best customer support in the industry.

In the 15+ years of my computer gaming, I’ve had my fair share of tech problems. I’ve had several cases where after emailing or posting threads seeking tech support help, I never receive a single response, not even from other game owners.

With all of the different computer configurations and technology changes that occur from year to year, there is no 100% guarantee that a newly published game will work problem free.

John Tiller HPS Games/JT Software have never been in business to just release a new game without it having countless hours of play testing and development to help prevent game owners from experiencing problems or bugs. If problems or bugs do appear in the development and play testing stages, they are addressed before a game is released. They don’t half-heartedly release a game, knowing that game owners will experience certain problems and hope for the best.

Through out the years, there have been countless numbers of games that have been released by companies who knowingly had problems because their new game budget was exhausted or figured that a future patch or two would someday fix already known pre-released problems. Also don’t forget about all of those games that were released in unplayable condition. In this situation, if game owners were lucky, a group of talented people would work together trying to create a the perfect mod to fix numerous problems that should have been addressed before a game was ever released.

John Tiller’s crew pride themselves on the quality of their games, and they will not prematurely release a game until it meets their own high standards! They have great customer support and are very active on the forums, interacting with future and present game owners. Also they are very open to receiving suggestions on new game features, and listening to possible future game ideas. Last but not least, they are very good at answering game questions that come up.

Jomni’s problem was quickly fixed in less than 24 hours. You can’t beat that for a reported problem that hasn’t been seen before. And to top that off, Jomni decided to share his problem and solution with the rest of us, in case someone else experienced a similar problem. I challenge you to find a better first class operation!

When I purchase a new John Tiller game, I known that I am buying a game from a company who has first class customer support, and a proven track record. I don’t have any reservations on whether or not the game will work on my computer or be full of bugs, and you shouldn’t either.