• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC Game Question
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM,
PzC Game Question
Hello all.
I have a question concerning the Panzer Campaign games.
I just not too long ago got my first two but just now thinking about loading them up.
One thing that I struggle with when it comes to getting into these games is the command and control aspects or lack of from what I understand.
I just wanted to see what every else had to say about this and how you all handle this that play these games.

It is my understanding that you have to pretty much give orders to every single unit on the map that you want to move that turn. So there really is no giving of orders to HQ for a particular div or brigade? I didnt think there was but upon looking at the scope of some of these scenerios in Bulge and Kursk I can only imagine spending hours giving orders to every icon on the map haha.
Is this really the only way these games can be played and if so how do you all handle that.
I mean that really is not realistic in terms commanding such large groups so how do you all get around the unrealistic micro management of this system?

I have for so long wanted to get into these games but I also would like some kind of realism in terms of command and control.

Maybe just have to suck it up and micro MICRO manage huh?

Thanks much for any feedback you can give.

Todd
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2011, 11:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: PzC Game Question
Starting out, the best advice anyone can give you, is to make sure you read the manuals. I'm not sure which PzC titles you own, but make sure to go to the HPS updates section http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Updates/up_...es_PZC.asp and download the Bulge'44 PDF file. The PDF download contains the most up-to-date manuals for the whole series. Using the Bulge PDF manuals, even though you may not own the Bulge'44 game, will not cause any problems. There is alot of information in them. The manuals are written to cover the whole series not, just one game, by itself.

Also when starting out, only play small to medium sized battles. Trying to play a 200 turn, large sized map battle, with a 1000+ units is not going to do you any favors, when trying to learn the game system.

Yes, you will be required to select units, in order for them to move, fire, shoot, etc. If you are playing a small to medium sized battle, it may take a few minutes. Of course it will take longer, if you are just starting out. The more you play, re-read the manuals, and ask questions on the Blitz forum boards, the quicker and easier the learning curve will be. Also, don't rule out playing PBEM games from the start. There are club members who have patience and are very knowledgeable about the game system, who visit these boards on a regular basis, and finding someone to help you get started, will not be a problem.

Hopefully, you'll find like alot of us have found, that you will really enjoy the series, make some new friends through PBEM games, and find that you can't get enough of these games. If all goes well, you may find yourself someday, helping some else get started in the series.

I'll let some of the other members cover some of the other questions you asked.

Good Luck!
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM,
Thank you very much for your insights.
I will take your advice.

Todd

(02-08-2011, 11:31 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Starting out, the best advice anyone can give you, is to make sure you read the manuals. I'm not sure which PzC titles you own, but make sure to go to the HPS updates section http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Updates/up_...es_PZC.asp and download the Bulge'44 PDF file. The PDF download contains the most up-to-date manuals for the whole series. Using the Bulge PDF manuals, even though you may not own the Bulge'44 game, will not cause any problems. There is alot of information in them. The manuals are written to cover the whole series not, just one game, by itself.

Also when starting out, only play small to medium sized battles. Trying to play a 200 turn, large sized map battle, with a 1000+ units is not going to do you any favors, when trying to learn the game system.

Yes, you will be required to select units, in order for them to move, fire, shoot, etc. If you are playing a small to medium sized battle, it may take a few minutes. Of course it will take longer, if you are just starting out. The more you play, re-read the manuals, and ask questions on the Blitz forum boards, the quicker and easier the learning curve will be. Also, don't rule out playing PBEM games from the start. There are club members who have patience and are very knowledgeable about the game system, who visit these boards on a regular basis, and finding someone to help you get started, will not be a problem.

Hopefully, you'll find like alot of us have found, that you will really enjoy the series, make some new friends through PBEM games, and find that you can't get enough of these games. If all goes well, you may find yourself someday, helping some else get started in the series.

I'll let some of the other members cover some of the other questions you asked.

Good Luck!
02-08-2011, 12:57 PM,
Which games do you own?
02-08-2011, 01:41 PM,
Just Bulge and Kursk so far. I wanted one from each front to start with and I really love the Bulge time frame so I got that one. Probably not the best choice for small engagements :)

(02-08-2011, 12:57 PM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Which games do you own?
02-08-2011, 02:40 PM,
BTW, yes, you CAN give orders to units and have those units move on their own. Do this with the AI orders feature. Do this by selecting the brigade/division/corps HQ and then hold ALT and right click somewhere on the map (you will see arrows appear on the map). You can do this to move divisions to a given location. Some words of caution:

1) Do this ONLY for divisions you want the AI to move to specific locations in *rear areas*. If you have them move to the front line, give them a destination some distance from the front line where you will take over the management. I would not recommend allowing the AI to enter and fight in the front line.

2) You will have to delete the AI order once you want to "take over" the unit. If you do not, then the AI will continue to try to move to the location you specified, even when you start manually moving the unit away. Delete the order by going to (top menu) A/I > View / Delete A/I Orders. You will have to select the organization you want to take over and delete its order.

------------------

Anyway, this is a good way to have the AI move all those rear units that you don't want to deal with. I use/have used this method in Kursk '43 campaign as the Russians and it worked pretty well, saving me lots of time. Oh BTW, when units have A/I orders to move, they will do so automatically (if they have MP remaining) once you select the End Turn button.
Send this user an email
02-08-2011, 03:43 PM,
Hey thats at least good to hear. I will look into that option on a small scenerio to play around with it.

Thanks all for the great info!

Todd

(02-08-2011, 02:40 PM)Volcano Man Wrote: BTW, yes, you CAN give orders to units and have those units move on their own. Do this with the AI orders feature. Do this by selecting the brigade/division/corps HQ and then hold ALT and right click somewhere on the map (you will see arrows appear on the map). You can do this to move divisions to a given location. Some words of caution:

1) Do this ONLY for divisions you want the AI to move to specific locations in *rear areas*. If you have them move to the front line, give them a destination some distance from the front line where you will take over the management. I would not recommend allowing the AI to enter and fight in the front line.

2) You will have to delete the AI order once you want to "take over" the unit. If you do not, then the AI will continue to try to move to the location you specified, even when you start manually moving the unit away. Delete the order by going to (top menu) A/I > View / Delete A/I Orders. You will have to select the organization you want to take over and delete its order.

------------------

Anyway, this is a good way to have the AI move all those rear units that you don't want to deal with. I use/have used this method in Kursk '43 campaign as the Russians and it worked pretty well, saving me lots of time. Oh BTW, when units have A/I orders to move, they will do so automatically (if they have MP remaining) once you select the End Turn button.
02-09-2011, 09:06 AM,
I would say that even in the large campaign games not all units require orders every turn. A good number are in "quiet" areas. Others are, hopefully, in reserve waiting for the right time.

Even a large map battle tends to breakdown into sectors where the action is. It is not so overwhelming as it seems.

The best advice has already been given. Play smaller scenarios to understand the game mechanics and craft basic tactics to use. Once mastered, the goal of think operationally then executing the moves is not so big a deal. One does not have to think about every rotation of the bicycle pedal on a long day trip. Your focus is a little further out than that.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp