• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"collatereal" objective hexes
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM,
"collatereal" objective hexes
Can an expert explain these colattreal objective hexes; my cowboys just shot up one of these and I believe it has cost me the game:(....if I don't shoot at the bad guys hiding in these collatreal hexes...how can I eliminate them ? confused in west Texas
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2011, 12:27 PM,
RE: "collatereal" objective hexes
I don't understand totally myself, but when you cause a casualty in them, that is a point against you. You can take them by assaulting them however. Here is what the manual says:

Collateral - The point value of these objectives increases when enemy fire affects the hex they are in. Collateral Objectives can be assaulted however without causing the point value to change. Collateral Objectives do not change side. If a Collateral Objective has a positive value, then that value is awarded to the owning side (regardless of who occupies it). If a Collateral Objective has a negative value and is occupied by the opposing side, then that value is a penalty

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

01-25-2011, 06:37 PM,
(01-25-2011, 10:49 AM)PK Powers Wrote: Can an expert explain these colattreal objective hexes; my cowboys just shot up one of these and I believe it has cost me the game:(....if I don't shoot at the bad guys hiding in these collatreal hexes...how can I eliminate them ? confused in west Texas

Welcome to Iraq.

Yes, if you shoot at them you lose points, which represent the media coverage of you shooting onto buildings with civilians.

Carefull play is the key. And remember, you can always assault them without losing points.
01-26-2011, 12:18 AM,
I always understood a collateral objective to be basically a hex that represents innocents on the battlefield. Taking that objective, I believe, gains you nothing, so if you can avoid them, do so. Certainly don't fire into one. Assault if you have to, but even then, unless it's crucial to the gaining the upper hand, I'd just by-pass them if at all possible.

It gives a very nice representation of some of the limitations placed on US forces in theatre.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
01-26-2011, 12:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2011, 12:24 AM by GrayTalon.)
I learned about these hexes the hard way also and it likely cost me the game. One of the transitional difficulties for me from ES to MW. I learned my lesson though, so no more firing into collateral hexes!
01-26-2011, 01:16 AM,
thanks for the help everyone ; I will avoid these objectives in the future