• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Counter Battery Results question
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM,
Counter Battery Results question
Some months back I was playing the full Normandy campaign as the Allies.

It was in the midst of the storm (like at least 2 game days into it -with the 1 hex visibility).

I was the Allied player, and had made sure that I had kept my ships well out of the line of sight of any Germans (this was up around Cherbourg).

One turn I noticed that all of a sudden my BB Pennsylvania had managed to have 4 turrets destroyed.

Now the optional rules in play required the other side to have some sort of line of sight with a unit from the firing units' parent unit (and there was none in this case).

I was wondering if the storm itself could damage turrets, and if not, what exactly could have? I really wished that I had been playing with encryption off so that I could have sent this over to the design team and they could have worked out if this was some sort of programming glitch, or some other odd occurrence.
Bydand
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2011, 02:42 PM,
RE: Counter Battery Results question
(01-22-2011, 10:54 AM)trauth116 Wrote: I was wondering if the storm itself could damage turrets, and if not, what exactly could have?

No Styeve - litkely a programming glitch, or some other odd occurrence as you suspected.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2011, 02:11 PM by Compass Rose.)
(01-22-2011, 10:54 AM)trauth116 Wrote: One turn I noticed that all of a sudden my BB Pennsylvania had managed to have 4 turrets destroyed.

It looks like those "No Smoking" signs posted in the powder magazines need to be printed a little bigger! Big Grin
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM,
Well, the one thing I can think of is that any artillery, including ship, when fired can show in the enemy turn as a ? unit within certain limits. These ? units can be fired at under any of the spotting rules, so my guess would be the BB showed as a ? and drew arty fire in return - or if you were playing a human, Steve, he could have launched an air attack on the ? hex.

Not saying it was that but it is one explanation for it.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM by -72-.)
(01-23-2011, 01:48 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Well, the one thing I can think of is that any artillery, including ship, when fired can show in the enemy turn as a ? unit within certain limits. These ? units can be fired at under any of the spotting rules, so my guess would be the BB showed as a ? and drew arty fire in return - or if you were playing a human, Steve, he could have launched an air attack on the ? hex.

Not saying it was that but it is one explanation for it.

Rick

I didn't think I was able to target '?' units unless I had an los on that unit (whether ID'd or not).

It couldn't be an air attack, as under storm rules, the LOS was 1 (and had been for at least 2 or 3 game days before hand), and air was not flyable. Although I don't believe that the Germans have any air assets in the full Normandy campaign.

I appreciate the answers. :)
Bydand
Send this user an email
01-24-2011, 02:19 AM,
Hey Steve,

I just setup a Normandy test to make absolutely sure, and with the counterbattery rule on, I was able to fire artillery at "unspotted" ? naval units that had fired at me in their turn - that is the whole reason for the counterbattery rule, which I assume you had/have on in your game. Just pull up the artillery dialog when you are playing and you will see artillery able to target ? units at times, those would be artillery units that fired at you. I am playing a Budapest game now where I have killed probably 75 enemy guns using counterbattery fire that were in ? hexes.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-25-2011, 08:26 PM,
RB:

Thanks for that, I will have to give it a try. It all might start making sense now.
Bydand
Send this user an email