• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Squad organization and labels
01-15-2011, 07:42 AM,
Squad organization and labels
Curious about how units are labeled and organized: I'm playing Modern War and I noticed units within a platoon will have the following designations on their counters:

1st Squad A
2nd Squad A
1st Squad B
2nd Squad B

How are these squads actually organized (command and control-wise) within the platoon in the game?

1st Squad, A and B teams
2nd Squad, A and B teams

Or is it

A team, 1st and 2nd squad
B team, 1st and 2nd squad.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2011, 07:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2011, 07:54 AM by jmlima.)
RE: Squad organization and labels
(01-15-2011, 07:42 AM)Ironwulf Wrote: Curious about how units are labeled and organized: I'm playing Modern War and I noticed units within a platoon will have the following designations on their counters:

1st Squad A
2nd Squad A
1st Squad B
2nd Squad B

How are these squads actually organized (command and control-wise) within the platoon in the game?

1st Squad, A and B teams
2nd Squad, A and B teams

Or is it

A team, 1st and 2nd squad
B team, 1st and 2nd squad.

I imagine the example is from a Mech Inf unit?

The game does not make that fine distinction. Inside the platoon , in broad terms, you have a commander and the 4 squads. I split them in A and B teams , but that distinction does not represent some form of in-engine command-and-control.
In that precise example they are slightly different in their individual components, but that's due to their RL organization.
01-15-2011, 10:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2011, 10:50 AM by Mad_Dog.)
RE: Squad organization and labels
I'll try to explain it, I think I'm right, someone please correct me if you know otherwise.

In a US Mech Inf platoon, there are two squads, and each squad is divided into a A team and a B team. THe platoon is commanded by a lieutenant, and each team gets a sergeant I think. This doesn't really matter gameplay wise, except for how many officers you have to rally pinned units. These guys have good morale, they don't pin anyway. ;)

Platoon

1st squad
A Team
B team
2nd squad
A team
B team

Read the book House to House for a good idea of how they worked in Fallujah.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier