• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What did you think about **Bitter Kuuterselka?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Liked it a lot
12.50%
1 12.50%
Liked it somewhat
0%
0 0%
Did not care about it too much
0%
0 0%
Hated it
0%
0 0%
Played it, but don't remember it too well
0%
0 0%
Have not played (yet)
87.50%
7 87.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Scenario of the Month - Jan 2011: **Bitter Kuuterselka
01-30-2011, 04:59 AM,
RE: Scenario of the Month - Jan 2011: **Bitter Kuuterselka
It seems to be a bit unbalanced, with a history of 15 games played (7-20-73).

Apart from that it looks interesting, and me, I am more interested of having good fun than ultimate balance.

In general, it would be nice to have more candidates. Maybe you should put a post on the main forum to remind everyone about this new "feature" of the forum?

I am certainly OK with this.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2011, 06:58 AM,
Will do.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM,
Bitter Kuuterselka:

Seven turns completed now and my Finns continue to hold a crumbling first line (score-135). In the south, weak but holding, in the northeast, busted or busting. My reinforcements are steadily arriving and hastily manning the second line, where I'm trying to fall back to, all the while delaying the enemy whenever/wherever possible. I've concentrated on his engineers, keeping them from dismantling barriers and mine fields. EA has helped immensely, but still we break as I knew we would. I can only hope the initial time and cost to the enemy has been enough.

My kingdom for artillery. So many targets and nothing to hit them with.

I think I really like this scenario.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
02-01-2011, 03:21 AM,
Glad to hear you are enjoying it :)

(01-31-2011, 01:25 PM)Scud Wrote: My kingdom for artillery.

Or just enough shells to load'em tubes that you have, eh? But no... :hissy:
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-21-2011, 09:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM by Scud.)
Finally finished. Fun scenario. Got new sound mods in at the end, which made it even more enjoyable.

I rated it well-balanced, although I got a major V as the Finns. My reasoning was that I believe my opponent got too bogged down in spots that should have been bypassed. Had he not done so, I think the score would have been way different.

Soviets should prepare for a brutal opening. The Finn's line, especially with extreme assault, is murder to crack. It goes eventually, but in my game, reinforcements were arriving to halt effective advance in the northeast.

Soviet focus in the south might be the best play for them, using enough force in the northeast to keep the Finns from driving all the way south to reinforce.

My opponent reached the southwestern exits with two tanks on the second to last turn, only to find my Finns dug in and waiting. Everything else had been stopped. His focus on the two western most objectives came two hexes short, his infanty there badly hurt and disrupted.

It will be interesting to see how well balanced the scenario really is as more results come in. Was my game a fluke?

Dave
Send this user an email
03-21-2011, 08:17 PM,
(03-21-2011, 09:35 AM)Scud Wrote: Finally finished. Fun scenario. Got new sound mods in at the end, which made it even more enjoyable.

I rated it well-balanced, although I got a major V as the Finns. My reasoning was that I believe my opponent got too bogged down in spots that should have been bypassed. Had he not done so, I think the score would have been way different.

Soviets should prepare for a brutal opening. The Finn's line, especially with extreme assault, is murder to crack. It goes eventually, but in my game, reinforcements were arriving to halt effective advance in the northeast.

The victory conditions do require the Soviet player to circle and capture the Finnish units in forward positions. Taking the victory conditions is not enough, alone.

My experience is the Finnish lines break surprisingly fast. One tactic would be to concentrate all the artillery to one breakthrough location at the time. Should enough forces be available for assaulting, especially the trenches fall soon.

(03-21-2011, 09:35 AM)Scud Wrote: Soviet focus in the south might be the best play for them, using enough force in the northeast to keep the Finns from driving all the way south to reinforce.

My opponent reached the southwestern exits with two tanks on the second to last turn, only to find my Finns dug in and waiting. Everything else had been stopped. His focus on the two western most objectives came two hexes short, his infanty there badly hurt and disrupted.

I guess the eastern exit hexes are the ones to worry. Breaking through towards Kuuterselka village, then swinging east to have the western forces joining with the eastern forces would be quite difficult to defend against?

Then again, the Finns can be a quite pain in the butt, given the good assault values the Jaeger units have. A bold counter attack often causes a lot of damage to an overly eager Soviet player.
[/quote]

(03-21-2011, 09:35 AM)Scud Wrote: It will be interesting to see how well balanced the scenario really is as more results come in. Was my game a fluke?

Dave

Thanks for your input! For one thing, I do believe the scenario is too short. It would need at least a few turns more. Otherwise, I've seen it can go spectacularly wrong for either side...

I hope KKR is able to return to forums one day, I am nearing the last turns against him, it can still go both ways...
Visit us at CSLegion.com