• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question regarding how Supply is calculated
01-02-2011, 07:28 AM,
RE: Question regarding how Supply is calculated
What is the role of the new, supply HQs depots, etc (which as far as I can see are only present in the Red Army)?
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2011, 07:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2011, 07:16 AM by Von Earlmann.)
(01-02-2011, 07:28 AM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: What is the role of the new, supply HQs depots, etc (which as far as I can see are only present in the Red Army)?

I think they were added for use in the campaigns I run. I did think they were available for Germans also...........working on one now but will probably be a while before I get it all ready.......anyway they can be used to help supply in my campaigns as can the trucks.

VE
(12-31-2010, 04:13 AM)Huib Versloot Wrote: I feel unhappy in VE scenarios because of this omission and complain about it a lot to my opponents... Not many disagreed with me though.

I learned years ago there are many ways to look at many things. I like beef, not everyone does, I don't like broccoli so I don't eat it. I don't complain about people who do like broccoli and don't like beef tho.
My best advice here would be don't play VE scenarios :-)
No offense intended and non taken.

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
01-03-2011, 07:49 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote: What is the role of the new, supply HQs depots, etc (which as far as I can see are only present in the Red Army)?
von Earlmann replied:
I think they were added for use in the campaigns I run. I did think they were available for Germans also...........working on one now but will probably be a while before I get it all ready.......anyway they can be used to help supply in my campaigns as can the trucks.
VE

I presume if they work in a campaign, they should also work in a scenario.
Things like supply dumps were pivotal in the desert fighting, and are annoying to simulate. Objectives are of no use because the position is given away as soon as the scen is opened. A bunch of fixed trucks is adequate, but I like the "eye candy" effect of the depots. And as you say if they fulfill a real function, their being subject to elimination adds a realistic dimension to supply.
I should love to see them for WF.
01-03-2011, 09:25 AM,
[quote=)

I presume if they work in a campaign, they should also work in a scenario.
[/quote]

They don't actually do anything in scenarios. They work in my campaigns because I can simulate what they do when writing the next scenario. Also losing them in a campaign is expensive but not so in PBEM scenarios.

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
01-03-2011, 07:55 PM,
(01-01-2011, 10:13 AM)Scud Wrote: What happens to supply when you get a hit on an HQ, but don't destroy it, anything?

If it moves, is out of supply itself, or is disrupted it will not provide supply. If it is reduced in size but is in good order, and in range, it will. :chin:

cheers

HSL
01-06-2011, 08:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: In Supply, once again
(12-31-2010, 01:02 AM)Von Earlmann Wrote: I think the chain works from the top down as listed in your OOB file. Example a division hq supplies regimental hqs beneath it(and battalions or companies attached to it). They in turn supply Battalion hqs beneath them. Battalion then supplies company or platoons beneath them. Manual explains the benefit of keeping company units within range of their hqs. So, every turn division hq will check with base supply if it fails it is out of supply wether it moves or not. Regiment will check with division and if it fails it will check with base (I think). Battalion should work the same way. Platoons will check with battalion using the company adjustments. If they fail they have no where else to check and will remain out of supply.

One more time... (Bold emphasis by me)

I have put logistics as a key theme for my current battle (The "A Legend Is Born DAR" I am doing at the mo).

Can someone verify to me (one more time please, I am having a hard time trying to figure the whole logistics chain out...) the chain-of-command logic regarding the case where a lower-level HQ is making a supply check from a higher-ranking HQ, but the higher HQ is out of supply.

Is base level supply then checked, or not?

Case 1) If Regimental HQ is out, Battalion HQs still try the base level. Yes or No?

Case 2) If Battalion HQ is out, regardless of Regimental HQ status, the companies are out of luck. Yes or No?

Case 3) Does the Company command post (1st platoon) need to be In Supply, for the other platoons to receive Supply from a Battalion HQ, or is it enough the company remains close enough to Coy CP for the Battalion HQ to do its magic? Former or Latter?

Lots of questions, sorry... Thanks! cheers
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-09-2011, 10:22 AM,
[quote='Sgt K. Kat' pid='336112' dateline='1294266238'

Case 1) If Regimental HQ is out, Battalion HQs still try the base level. Yes or No?
I AM NOT 100% SURE BUT I THINK THEY DO CHECK ON UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND FOR SUPPLY.

Case 2) If Battalion HQ is out, regardless of Regimental HQ status, the companies are out of luck. Yes or No?
THE COMPANIES AND PLATOONS ARE OUT OF LUCK

Case 3) Does the Company command post (1st platoon) need to be In Supply, for the other platoons to receive Supply from a Battalion HQ, or is it enough the company remains close enough to Coy CP for the Battalion HQ to do its magic? Former or Latter?
I DON'T THINK IT NEEDS TO BE IN SUPPLY TO EXERT IT'S MODIFIERS TO THE DICE ROLL

Lots of questions, sorry... Thanks! :cheers:
[/quote]
01-10-2011, 07:53 PM,

Thanks again cheers
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM,
(01-09-2011, 10:22 AM)Von Earlmann Wrote: [quote='Sgt K. Kat' pid='336112' dateline='1294266238'

I AM NOT 100% SURE BUT I THINK THEY DO CHECK ON UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND FOR SUPPLY.

THE COMPANIES AND PLATOONS ARE OUT OF LUCK

I DON'T THINK IT NEEDS TO BE IN SUPPLY TO EXERT IT'S MODIFIERS TO THE DICE ROLL

8.0 Pages 92 and 93

HQs – An HQ can only provide supply to units under its command “umbrella.” In addition, an HQ is never able to provide supply on any turn following a turn in which it changed its location (this simulates the Headquarters having to set up and re-establish communications). Besides that, each Headquarters (exception: Army-level HQs) must also make a supply check at the beginning of each turn. Like a normal combat unit, the Headquarters first checks supply based on the distance from its parent Headquarters; however, if that supply check fails, it then checks using the base ammo level listed for its side.

Effects of being Low on Supply – A combat unit that attacks using Direct Fire will only attack a number of times equal to its Strength Points divided by two, fractions rounded up (keep in mind that such a unit normally is allowed a number of attacks equal to the number of Strength Points it has). A Low on Supply artillery (Indirect Fire) unit cannot attack (this actually represents that battery not receiving proper fire orders, a breakdown in communications, or it is being used to support other units in a nearby battle). A Low on Supply Headquarters is unable to provide supply to other units under its command. Note that units are never out of supply; a unit that is Low on Supply can still attack, albeit at reduced effectiveness (exception: Indirect Fire units and HQs reported as “unavailable”). Any Low n Supply unit that assaults does so at 3/4 effectiveness.

cheers

HSL
01-12-2011, 04:24 AM,
I figured I don't actually need to understand all the internals, as long as I understand how to use the units in a correct way.

I guess the original question as whether there is a bonus for having the complete chain-of-command available to a frontline units pays out... As in, it the platoon fails the supply die roll from Bn HQ (in supply), it then tries again with Reg HQ (in supply), the Div HQ (in supply).

But as I said, I am happy to use the units in a correct manner, and hopefully to enjoy the benefits to a maximum as well.
Visit us at CSLegion.com