• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Patch em all up please ...
12-15-2010, 07:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2010, 07:05 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: Patch em all up please ...
(12-15-2010, 04:35 AM)enigma6584 Wrote: Well I got to say this is disheartening. I guess I always assumed you guys were going to bring everything up to the same level in terms of features and such.

Glenn is not saying that they won't all get updated, he is saying that they gradually get updated. To sit down and update all (how many?) PzC titles every time an improvement is introduced is just simply not possible. This is a direct result of there being so many titles in the series. But don't worry, they have and always will be gradually updated.

Name one PzC title that is still at "1.0" (other than Kharkov '43 obviously).
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2010, 07:07 AM,
Thanks for the clarification Volcano Man...now get back to work on that playable T-72! :)
12-15-2010, 07:14 AM,
(12-15-2010, 07:07 AM)enigma6584 Wrote: Thanks for the clarification Volcano Man...now get back to work on that playable T-72! :)

...all in good time. cheers
Send this user an email
12-15-2010, 07:19 AM,
And in addition to what Glenn and VM have stated, realize that the game engine is constantly evolving even week to week at times. As Glenn mentioned, there was a Budapest update released, only to be followed a week later by a Sealion update that includes a change not present in the Budapest update. So they are already out of synch.

The risky method would be for John to just update everything at once - you download it, then a week later another download as he updated again, followed a week later by more updates because a bug was found. John rights extremely clean code but there are still bugs, and they sometimes take awhile before being spotted. So anyway, with the constant changes and the need to test each patch separately, Glenn's point is that it is near impossible to have each game at the same exact release point, unless the updates are ended and the game is left static for a year maybe.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-15-2010, 08:04 AM,
I think another side issue related to this discussion is the visibility of which titles are updated to which level of features, i know myself it is a pain to keep checking the "changes" text file to see if a particular title has which new rules/features (for example by coincidence i had to look if Sicily had the new Commando rules just the other day), i have scratched my head about how this could be shown in a user friendly way, any ideas from PC savvy members would be welcome? :chin:

A guy called Rui Valente created this PDF file (which needs updating), i don't know if this is the best to display this information??
[attachment=3054]
12-15-2010, 08:14 AM,
I was thinking the same thing foul, but didn't have a suggestion to resolve it.

The spreadsheet mode attached to your post is good.
12-16-2010, 07:28 AM,
The main update that I have been waiting for is the following:

NOTE: Starting with this version, no CD-check is performed by the
main program and all documentation is supported only in PDF format,
available from the Help menu in each application.

It seems to be an easy fix to make and should be applied to all of the games. It was promised quite awhile ago and the only PZC game that has been updated with it so far is Budapest. Of course now that John Tiller has pulled his new games out of HPS the determination to do this may not be as strong.
12-16-2010, 08:17 AM,
Yes the CD thing is the biggest for me.. I hate having to find/use CD's! One of the big pluses about DD games..
12-16-2010, 10:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 10:03 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
(12-16-2010, 07:28 AM)Bioman Wrote: It seems to be an easy fix to make and should be applied to all of the games.

Anytime an EXE is generated - it must be tested

Quote:It was promised quite awhile ago and the only PZC game that has been updated with it so far is Budapest.

Actually Sealion has no CD check either

Quote:Of course now that John Tiller has pulled his new games out of HPS the determination to do this may not be as strong.

Hey now - let set the record here. John Tiller did NOT pull his new games out of HPS.

HPS decided to not produce new games on CD - this was what Tiller had used the services of the Publisher for.

Here is an example. Its like your gas station deciding to not sell gasoline anymore - but they will sell you AUTO propane by the gallon if you want to have your car converted by him. John decided to do his own conversion and to buy his own storage tank where he can purchases Propane by the pound instead the gallon - but first absorbing the up front cost of the tank.

Anyway - how two updates in the last week to Panzer Campaigns translates to "determination to do this may not be as strong" is beyond me.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-16-2010, 11:41 AM,
(12-16-2010, 10:02 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
(12-16-2010, 07:28 AM)Bioman Wrote: It seems to be an easy fix to make and should be applied to all of the games.

Anytime an EXE is generated - it must be tested

Quote:It was promised quite awhile ago and the only PZC game that has been updated with it so far is Budapest.

Actually Sealion has no CD check either

Quote:Of course now that John Tiller has pulled his new games out of HPS the determination to do this may not be as strong.

Hey now - let set the record here. John Tiller did NOT pull his new games out of HPS.

HPS decided to not produce new games on CD - this was what Tiller had used the services of the Publisher for.

Here is an example. Its like your gas station deciding to not sell gasoline anymore - but they will sell you AUTO propane by the gallon if you want to have your car converted by him. John decided to do his own conversion and to buy his own storage tank where he can purchases Propane by the pound instead the gallon - but first absorbing the up front cost of the tank.

Anyway - how two updates in the last week to Panzer Campaigns translates to "determination to do this may not be as strong" is beyond me.

Glenn

While every EXE update must be tested it just seems to me if all you do is add the No CD check update then the testing should be very easy.

Sealion and France '14 have no CD check but they both came that way so no update was needed.

I am confused. HPS has stated that they will continue to produce games with a CD. John Tiller has stated that he will not produce new games with a CD. So how do you get from that fact to "HPS decided to not produce new games on CD". I am sure that I am missing something simple.

What I should have said was that John Tiller chose not to offer his new games through HPS and not that he pulled his new games from HPS, even though the effect is the same. John Tiller has every right to do this as it is his business and he can do what he wants.

The determination to do this may not be as strong statement has only to do with the No CD check upgrade. Since the new games will not have a cd a no CD fix is of little importance. Both of my messages have only to do with the no CD check upgrade only. I realize that quite a bit of work is involved to do a full game update as has been done in the past.

I will say that John Tiller and everyone involved has done a fantastic job of keeping up the upgrades over the years at no added cost to us the user.