• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Close Run Thing
12-24-2010, 08:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2010, 10:01 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
A Close Run Thing - Turn 5
Turn 5: Chase Ends

[Image: e18ee4d885Turn5.jpg]

My foe's Engineers continue to attempt to escape in their trucks. I scratch my head, but I'll take it as good fortune. Easy kills are the best kills. One platoon of trucks drives towards Hill 368, while the other runs away out of LOS. Scout cars and light tanks are just too fast for the trucks trundling along cross country.

As the first group didn’t run fast enough, they are quickly overrun. My tanks and scout cars follow closely with artillery support. Artillery drives him into the tree line, but his escape is short lived as the tanks and scout cars annihilate the fleeing engineers as their attempt to evade has failed.

Larry comments on SOF Sector:

Still no contact in Salerno area. Recon platoon pushing south towards Brit main landing forces. Possible tenuous connection next turn or two. Brit SOF trucks starting shuttle of Rangers into Salerno and we are digging in and setting up OPs to watch for Kraut approach. Naval gunfire tasked on areas of likely truck or HQ concentration or movement.

Scott comments on X Corps Sector:

Almost reached HWY 18 by Salerno. Used x2 smoke and targeted 88mm guns with fire from Bishops. If I'm able to secure this area without a fight then I'll move the two beach groups north and pass to Larry to defend Salerno.

I'll move one of the 46th's Infantry Brigades to the HWY 18 area where my lead elements are now and hold that area. The other IB will stay near the beach area. The brigades can either support Salerno or a later move on Bat.

I did not use any naval gunfire or air assets. I think it would be a mistake to waste on trying to take our armored car spotters. Larry if you don't need them for any targets in Salerno then I guess the best thing is to plaster Bat and other areas where the Germans are traveling or concentrating. Saw some indirect fire make a truck retreat in Bat.

The London Division is moving south. It will take a long time for my infantry to reach the Americans. Hopefully the enemy is thinking I was to sneak up the river valley towards Battlipaglia. By the time they figure out I'm on my way to help Jim I hope my armor (that has just arrived this turn) can cut any help from behind.

Watching the replay it looks like the enemy is moving a division to contest the river crossing against the Americans.

For the next few turns, my attention will turn to Hill 368 and closing on the Sele River crossing sites IVO Ponte Alla Scafa.
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2010, 02:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2010, 10:09 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
A Close Run Thing - Turn 6
Turn 6: Harassing Attack

[Image: 8f908c8bccTurn6a.jpg]

In the inset, I show the enemy as they were beginning to set up their defensive positions during turn 5 on Hill 368. At the start of turn 6, the engineers are harassed in their attempt to establish positions on the hill. My scouts and tanks will continue to snipe at them them as they attempt to set up. I’ll call in naval gunfire to bombard their exposed positions. My tanks engage his fleeing AT Guns with just a little damage (1 SP K and retreat). My scout cars conduct attacks on the halftracks and 120mm mortars IVO Hill 368. I destroyed a few halftracks and one of the mortars. My scout cars back off to prevent any response from the enemy engineers. I superimposed some scout car counters to show where my scouts started, where they fired and then where they ended the turn. They rolled up, took some shots on a halftrack and the 120mm mortars, then rapidly backed off to prevent the engineers from mopping the floor with them.

Turn 6: March to Hill 386

[Image: 1af2f198f7Turn6c.jpg]

I’ll put my scouts and tanks near the hill to harass him. I can’t really hurt him until I close with my infantry regiment and get some fire support ashore; however, I don’t want him to get comfortable up there. I’ll snipe the AT Guns and Mortars as I’m not sure the small 37mm guns will have much effect on the engineers. I can’t get too close either, those engineers will carve my light armor up if I stray a little too close.

Turn 6: March to Ponte Alla Scafa

[Image: 963cc781c4Turn6b.jpg]

As the enemy turn unfolds, I see a lot of panzer-grenadiers moving into position just above the crossing locations at Ponte Alla Scafa. I’ve put out a cavalry screen and started moving the 141st and engineers towards the small town. I see a high value target as his artillery is setting up in the crossroads just above Ponte Alla Scafa. A long line of site works both ways in this and I pushed my scouts up to see what I could see. My forward observers are going to pay big dividends here as I’m going to drop a ton of steel on target from the nearby ships operating in the Gulf of Salerno. While this is a target rich environment, I only have limited support at the moment. So I’m prioritizing targets AND those howitzers of his are going to get extensively worked over as long as I can see them. They are the biggest threat at the moment to my infantry heavy force moving towards the Sele River crossing sites. I’m hoping that they don’t load up and drive away this turn. If they don’t, then the arty will blast the tow vehicles and the enemy guns will be pinned under a torrent of steel rain. May the logistics rolls be kind to my guns the next few turns as they pour it on.

Scott Comments on X Corps Sector:

Most of London Division is now in the river valley. One Beach Group is really making the Germans think our advance will be up the river valley to Bat and the 2000 VP hex. They will play cat and mouse with the armor's LOS. The rest of the Division will rush south with trucks, and on the tanks. Hopefully they can cut the highway behind the German division defending the river crossing against Jim.

The 56th Midlands Division has reached HWY 18. Two beach groups head north to clear obstacles and then transfer to Larry's command (once they clear the river I'll turn over to you) . I'll leave an Infantry Brigade to guard the HWY where my engineers are now. The rest of the division will be held in reserve. Once the London Division is engaged heavily with the enemy then I would like to use the rest of the Midlands division to advance on Bat, hopefully after they have been bombarded for many turns and they send their troops to help against the Americans and the London Division.

Larry comments on SOF Sector:

German infantry entering northern suburbs of Salerno. Expect contact in two to three turns. Not sure they are aware that I could see them so layed in some artillery to hopefully give them a nasty surprise. Hold off on air tasking on that German armor, I suspect they'll do the same thing that the ACs are doing, scooting about hoping to make us commit air support and then drive away before it arrives.

I'm glad we're really zooming along with turn around times for this game. What a good set of players on both sides.
I have to echo Larry's sentiments about everyone involved in this team game. Everyone was dedicated and didn't sit on the turn for any length of time. On some days we were turning the game two or three times. That pace really kept the interest in the battle high.

My comments on VI Corps Sector:

141st is moving forward down RTE 18... 142nd is moving off the coast into the interior... I'm going to clear the engineers off the hill overlooking Paestum with arty and infantry (142nd)... I'll use my cav/light tanks to pin him down... he either walks out of LOS, or he sits in place for my attack... Upon mission complete, they will move forward onto the 141st right flank...

My other regiment, the 143rd will move up the coast behind the 141st... I want to keep their movement screened so they will travel in the water, then slide on shore to avoid the coastal battery (which I plan to assault in two turns with the m8) spotting them... They don't know for sure just how much infantry I'm moving up... they may suspect it, but they won't be able to confirm it until they are actually up front... I'll rely on my follow on forces to serve in a reserve role if so required...

I continued sniping with the cavalry and light tanks.. I finished off the squirter I was chasing.. and shot up some halftracks, the 120mm mortar, and the limbered PAK40's... I wanted to assault the mortars, but the damn halftrack retreated into the mortar pits... I followed up with some 5"...

Added some 5" to the German arty battery setting up... I'd plaster that all day... fired off one of my 105's into the mass of German infantry moving towards the crossing...
12-27-2010, 07:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
A Close Run Thing - Turn 7, Part 1
Turn 7: 36th Division

[Image: a2f987fb23Turn7a.jpg]

Awesome, my guns are starting to hit the beach. I’ll move them up along the coast, but out of sight. I don’t want my opponent to get any shots at my artillery. These guns are critical to my troops and I can’t hazard them to enemy fire.

I push my cavalry to overwatch positions along the Sele River. I want to see what my foe has waiting for me over there. If he has any tanks up front, I’ll find out soon enough as my scouts will start burning.

I’ll push several of my scouts past Hill 368 and push them deep into the interior. I want lots of lead time should anything start moving my direction.
Naval and Arty Barrage

[Image: a9701ec91dTurn7b.jpg]

As the enemy establishes defensive positions on Hill 368, I begin to bombard him with my naval gunfire and artillery. This will soften him up for my infantry when they close on the hill. My light armor will continue to harass his specialized units. His antitank guns take more fire and suffer more casualties. My artillery is also softening up the position.
Naval Barrage

[Image: d4fe5cee4dTurn7c.jpg]

His Arty is taking it on the chin.

More high value targets in my zone, I continue to get fire support from the nearby British ships as well as one of the US destroyers. An enemy headquarters unit is visible! Oh, I’ve got something for him. I’ll continue to pound on his artillery as well. Additionally, I’ll drop some rounds on the enemy panzer-grenadiers moving to defend the crossing fords that are critical for the link up operation with the X Corps. Again, more targets than firepower so I have to prioritize targets: Arty, HQ, Infantry.
01-04-2011, 03:41 AM,
RE: A Close Run Thing
Wow !!! Great stuff, your effort much appreciated!

I am working (just for fun) on a DAR on A Legend Is Born, I really need to up my game if I am ever goig to upload it here! cheers
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-04-2011, 09:56 AM,
RE: A Close Run Thing
Nice, I'd be very interested in seeing that one... just finished it against Jason as Germans and still playing against Antoni as Allies...

There is lots of time and different strategies available... and the LOS limitation meant I felt like I was just a knife's edge away from getting a punch in the nose as I moved around...

I just returned from Phoenix and New Year's trip, so I'll start pushing more on the AAR this week after I catch up on everything..

Jim
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
A Close Run Thing - Turn 8
Barrage on Hill 386

[Image: 923d52dab1Turn8b.jpg]

My artillery begins to increase its presence on the battlefield. I’m hammering the most likely positions his troops will attempt to defend. I’m going to feint toward the hill top, then sweep in on the flanks to support follow-on units moving straight on the hill.
PAS Barrage Continues

[Image: 165f09bcf6Turn8a.jpg]

Lots of target and too few guns. I’m just going to make him bleed in his defensive positions as my guys march up from the beaches. As I suspected, he’s blown one of the bridges, probably both. However, there are crossing fords nearby. Of course, won’t he be surprised when my engineers build a crossing site away from his guns. I don't plan to attack the crossing sites until I'm sweeping up the river on his side with Scott's London Division slicing in behind him. Prior to that, I hope to suck him towards the coast to investigate my crossing site so when the British forces show up in the area we can bag the whole lot of the defenders.