• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

F14. Routed unit stuck in Rail Mode
12-08-2010, 08:18 AM,
RE: F14. Routed unit stuck in Rail Mode
Anybody familiar with the song by Savoy Brown?

"I'm goin' down the road on a Hellbound Train
Take a long look lady, 'cause you won't see me again
Take a last look lady, hard and long
'Cause I'm goin' down the road on a Hellbound Train"
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM,
(12-08-2010, 07:53 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Of course the other problem here is that a unit might be on the train and have Max Fatigue, then suffer one man lost and possibly become Broken, at which points we assume the train apparently derails and explodes and sticks the unit in place for a day or more and blocks the track -- that doesn't quite make sense to me either. :(

We agree the broken unit being able to ride the rails but not leave is unrealistic and is not desired. I was only pointing out three good points for the current state out weigh one bad one. A judgment call to be sure. It you disagree Ed, that is fine. It is your game design and you know way more about what you intended to have than I do. Just wanted to help out by peeking around all the corners before making the call.

As for causing the unit to become fixed, that idea has merit. It is not representing the unit not being able to move. It represents the unit not being able to move and function as a unit. Could be every one for themselves when in a broken state.

As for the quoted paragraph above, I would advise not worrying about someone doing this. Seems to me one can not blame the fire, if one gets their feet burnt trying to get too close to the flames to warm said feet.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-09-2010, 12:29 AM,
I hope I didn't give the impression that I intended to be critical about your point of view on this rule question. The quoted paragraph was only intended to be in a joking manner in response to Rick's fantasy.
12-09-2010, 04:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2010, 04:55 AM by raizer.)
Bri you know me better than that...I had my rail unit no where near the k42 front was. It was tired-extremely tired, a B unit Cav unit that was in the red-prolly 20 hexes or more away from any enemy forces. So Im railing it back for rest and refit and air interdiction breaks it. Now its been waiting for recovery for a whole day now....and Ive always railed units way to the rear and stack em up for rest and refit-maybe not anymore because as this thing sits broken on the tracks, no unit can go past it either way
Its crazy cause you cant rail a disrupted unit so this unit went into rail and then broke a turn or 2 later

Now this took place in my Kharkov game-not F14 for whatever thats worth
12-11-2010, 08:33 PM,
Rob,

Somehow I got the impression is might have been another F14 game. But no matter. A broken unit from air interdiction is indeed rare as you describe.

I was figuring on a train getting spotted too close to the front at the beginning of a turn when the visibility goes up. The unit could then get hammered easily as trains take a lot more damage due to their vulnerability.

As for the situation you are describing, it will take the unit much longer to recover since I guess it is far enough away as to be out of command. That is assuming the unit has recovered enough fatigue to become alpha morale instead of "no morale".

Then the men have to go round up the scattered horses.... just imagining like Rick was. :)

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-12-2010, 02:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2010, 02:50 AM by raizer.)
yah-I dont see a problem with them being stuck-they routed, red w fatigue, and all screwed up generally-but they know the end is near :-) and the troops pulled a minor vic for me so they can do whatever they want with only 14 turns to go, up 1.5k in this monster K42- 1/2 campaign