• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Seeking opinions
12-09-2010, 10:08 AM,
RE: Seeking opinions
(12-09-2010, 05:51 AM)GUNSLNGR Wrote: The only problem I would have would be the AI/computer deployment of my forces...particularly for a meeting engagement. I often groan at how my forces are deployed in senarios, but that is often based on historical data. In a typical "meeting engagement" or as the attacker in a "advance/defend" game, I would like to able to deploy my guys myself as I have found the AI is often very quirky about how it does it. But if the design is to truly have a "play the cards you're dealt", then maybe the AI should deploy as well.

Overall, it's not a bad way to go at all...IMO :)

The best way,would be AI/purchase and HU/deploy set-up.

The AI is not bad on buying, but is very weak on deploying,thats why it loses most of time:)

I would play with the forces dealt, but would perfer to depoly them.

A third party set-up should stop any cheating, but as Imp pointed out, to an experenced player,it would be very clear, if P1 purchased his units and set P2 to on AI buy.
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2010, 11:39 AM,
(12-09-2010, 10:08 AM)Gila Wrote: A third party set-up should stop any cheating, but as Imp pointed out, to an experenced player,it would be very clear, if P1 purchased his units and set P2 to on AI buy.

Trust is the name of the game...if you can't trust a player to play you in BASIC, then you probably shouldn't play him it all. If a guy would go as far to set their deployment to HU and opponent to AI, then they'd be the same type to play the turn a few times until they got the outcome they wanted. That type of stuff would become very obvious after a while. I've never encountered that in the blitz community, and hopefully I never will.

GUNSLNGR

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push."

12-09-2010, 01:44 PM,
Hi GUNSLNGR That you not interested in the purchase by IA not take it as discredited. I respect his position. And I'm not offended. I think the purchase should be by AI but the deployment should be human.
With regard to play scenarios are working in two tournaments. I think we should consider a special score to avoid imbalances. That's why almost nobody plays scenarios. Personally I consider this game as a tactic to play against humans. Against IA I can see scenarios, campaigns, historical maps etc.
12-10-2010, 04:14 AM,
Hello Fellows,

reading briefy, and not to detail,

May I suggest a 'moderated game'.. this is something I cooked up a few years ago, and will on occasion post an offer to help..

Here's the Idea: The AI sucks (IMHO) at unit purchases.. never gives you a FO, and always seems to be artillery heavy, or air heavy even when set on 'xxx'.. always seems to favor tank heavy mechanised forces.. and leaves you shaking your head in frustration at the deployment.

how to make it better..

easy - enlist the help of a 'neutral' 3rd party

The 3rd party picks the map, contacts the respective players to find out game particulars (points/air/artillery/'0' size limits for instance) then purchases for both players using basic PBEM mode..

Once purchase is complete.. 3rd party then save game before deploy and passes files to both players, including passwords for PBEM.

I've done this a number of times in the past for players who have been interested.. thus far it's been a success, with all the people who have participated saying the games were a lot of fun, and well balanced..

Unfortunately, only BASIC security will work for this as the Full setting won't let the game proceed to finish..

If any of you are interested in playing a game after this manner, just give me a shout, I'll be glad to set something up for you

Greybeard
12-10-2010, 10:31 PM,
I played a battle that Steve / Greybeard set up as he has just described.
He did a very sensible buy and it became a very interesting and enjoyable battle.
Highly recommended.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
12-10-2010, 11:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-11-2010, 12:00 AM by low_bidder.)
That is what I was talkin' 'bout. I was just curious if the Tournament option could be used with full security.
It's been a while since I read up on that but I got the impression that it would work.
IIRC, In tourney mode, the tourney 'master' sets up one password to access the game files and each player sets their own password as part of their set up phase. Not sure if the player deploys or if the 'master deploys.
We ( the collective we, not the royal one) should test this feature out.
Cammo Group went thru all the trouble to code it so we should be gracious enough to use it.
I can't right now ( RW issues) but after the holidays I will post an ad and see if their is any interest.
12-11-2010, 03:24 AM,
(12-10-2010, 11:59 PM)low_bidder Wrote: That is what I was talkin' 'bout. I was just curious if the Tournament option could be used with full security.
It's been a while since I read up on that but I got the impression that it would work.
IIRC, In tourney mode, the tourney 'master' sets up one password to access the game files and each player sets their own password as part of their set up phase. Not sure if the player deploys or if the 'master deploys.
We ( the collective we, not the royal one) should test this feature out.
Cammo Group went thru all the trouble to code it so we should be gracious enough to use it.
I can't right now ( RW issues) but after the holidays I will post an ad and see if their is any interest.

Hello John,

IRRC, I think the tourney password thing only works if you have the CD for the game.. I don't yet - but it's on my wish list for Christmas this year..

Otherwise I think we are stuck in basic security unless both parties have the CD version

hope you have a good holiday

Greybeard
12-11-2010, 10:31 AM,
I might have the time to help with a trial on that. I have CD version.
Let me know when it's happening.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
12-12-2010, 07:56 AM,
My plan (tentative) is to re-read the manual, then build a battle,post it and see what happens. Before Xmas, I hope.
12-13-2010, 01:56 AM,
(12-06-2010, 10:12 AM)roman Wrote: PBEM play saying the purchase of units in charge of the IA?

Im up for a battle like that in either winspww2 or winspmbt. Ship a battle over to [email protected] and lets get started!
No retreat no surrender