• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ready to answer your Kharkov '43 Questions...
12-04-2010, 05:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 08:24 PM by Strela.)
RE: Ready to answer your Kharkov '43 Questions...
(12-04-2010, 02:38 PM)Lowlander Wrote: #220_01s_Manstein's Backhand Blow

Cannot move the two Russian units from rough terrain at location 219/139.

Sorry I've been out of the loop for at least a year so maybe I'm missing the obvious.

Thanks for spotting the issue of the units in rough.

Please find attached a temporary fix for #0220_01 & #0220_02.

Just unzip the attachment into your Kharkov '43 directory and overwrite the existing files.

These files will also be updated in the first patch.

For this fix to take effect you will need to restart your scenario.

Attached Files
.zip   Updated scenarios #0220.zip (Size: 18.07 KB / Downloads: 128)
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 09:55 PM,
Thanks for quick fix, no problem as I'm playing hotseat !!!.

Phew, I don't want to become embroiled in the heated debates in the other threads, enough said.
12-05-2010, 02:57 AM,
What is the reason behind the atrocious "on foot" movement cost?

Infantry can move 1(!) hex / turn on clear hexes.
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"
12-05-2010, 04:08 AM,
(12-05-2010, 02:57 AM)Sch Wrote: What is the reason behind the atrocious "on foot" movement cost?

It's in the campaign notes I believe, the weather was atrocious between the snow and mud and the movement rates are reduced considerably.
12-05-2010, 06:53 AM,
I have just noticed the word "interdiction" mentioned in the notes for this game. Can you explain how it works?

Are you just meaning air/artillery attacks on units I can see, or do you mean air/artillery units firing on a road junction that is unseen, in the hope it slows down units that move through?

Cheers
Neil
12-05-2010, 09:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2010, 09:23 AM by Strela.)
(12-05-2010, 04:08 AM)KG_RangerBooBoo Wrote:
(12-05-2010, 02:57 AM)Sch Wrote: What is the reason behind the atrocious "on foot" movement cost?

It's in the campaign notes I believe, the weather was atrocious between the snow and mud and the movement rates are reduced considerably.

Correct - it's in the designer notes on page 7 under movement and also page 10 of the designer notes.

In our first test version of the game we were finding everything was happening ahead of the historical movement rate. With the low unit density players were able to run rings around each other. Forces were getting cut off which never were.

We then slowed movement down with a new parameter file that increased the overall impact of bad weather and guess what, the historical advance rates fell out. Even nicer players had to look at the transport net and pick and chose how they went forward - which allowed the defender with his low density some idea where to defend.

And the final 'nice' outcome was that the different types of units came in to their own. Cavalry are great off road but not great for storming a position, infantry are great at assaulting but take time to come forward unless they get on a road and mechanised are good all rounders.

It was interesting to see the comments from the play testers - most found it challenging to begin, but then agreed that it felt right for the climactic conditions, Additionally, there was no rushing from one side of the board to the other - you had to think about where you were going and then you were committed.

It was a very important design decision and we tested it pretty extensively before including it - one tester even went as far as suggesting the other Eastern Front winter titles would benefit from this change.

(12-05-2010, 06:53 AM)Lien Leposh Wrote: I have just noticed the word "interdiction" mentioned in the notes for this game. Can you explain how it works?

Are you just meaning air/artillery attacks on units I can see, or do you mean air/artillery units firing on a road junction that is unseen, in the hope it slows down units that move through?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Interdiction is air interdiction - details of how this works is on page 55 of the user manual.

The change implemented is :

Change so that Interdiction attacks have twice the chance of Disruption and can cause the loss of up to half the movement allowance in movement points.
12-05-2010, 09:27 AM,
If you have Kharkov 43 already or are thinking about buying it, I recommend reading the designer & historical notes. This wasn't a pretty battle with much of it fought in "atrocious" conditions - even by east front standards.
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM,
How can I disable the scroll-wheel view changer? It's getting annoying, changing the view when I simply move the mouse...
12-06-2010, 02:12 PM,
bump - to keep it on the front page! :)
12-06-2010, 06:17 PM,
Has the dust settled? Can we come out from the fallout shelter and talk about the game now? ;)

Liebchen, to answer your question, I don't think this can be turned off in the game (at least I haven't see a method of doing that), but you might be able to adjust some sort of sensitivity of the mouse wheel in Windows control panel? I have done what you describe and zoomed the map by accident, until I made it a habit of taking my middle finger off the wheel.
Send this user an email