• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What did you think about Giants on the Vistula?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Liked it a lot
40.74%
11 40.74%
Liked it somewhat
22.22%
6 22.22%
Did not care about it too much
11.11%
3 11.11%
Hated it
3.70%
1 3.70%
Played it, but don't remember it too well
11.11%
3 11.11%
Have not played (yet)
11.11%
3 11.11%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Scenario of the Month - Dec 2010: Giants on the Vistula
12-05-2010, 07:39 PM,
RE: Scenario of the Month - Dec 2010: Giants on the Vistula
On congress.... it sure as hell beats the Politburo (or the Duma).

Lots of cars in my history, good and bad. Favorite right now: 2006 GTO, modified and supercharged, 550 HP at the crank, 440 ft.lbs. torque at the wheels. 0-60 3.75 to 3.8 in street trim; 1/4 mile in high 11s low 12s. Not nearly finished with it... lol. Now sitting in garage waiting for me to pull intercooler radiator (not the blower side heat exchanger) and fix a leak caused by a small frame rub over the last 4 years. As a muscle car, this surely qualifies (big, high powered motor in a chassis/body combination that has not been optimally tuned for performance).

Cause I'm old, and I go through USAA, they don't charge me much for insurance....

Glad to see another car guy here.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2010, 02:40 PM,
From the front page

"Forum that highlights custom scenarios for CS.
Moderated By: Antoni Chmielowski (FGM), raz_atoth, Scud"

We are choosing the wrong scenarios...we should be picking custom scens, not stock
12-07-2010, 11:46 PM,
Thanks for pointing this out Rod. I see no benefit to critiquing these old classics.

Rob
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM,
I think Dog Soldier wrote that line when setting up the forum for us. Nonetheless, the key word would be "highlighting". Doesn't mean a stock scenario can't be nominated. Since there was only one nomination this month, especially.

We still need to come up with a good way to nominate scenarios.

Also, if we limit this forum to only custom scenarios we run the risk of scenarios that fewer members have played.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-08-2010, 12:12 PM,
I really enjoy Giants on the Vistula...

It is a good scenario for new guys to realize just how powerful a combined arms attack can be with Panzers and Panzergrenadiers... Not so much for the arty as the Germans don't have all that much... but the combination of heavy armor and weak Russian defenses make for a lot of shock action early...

Of course, with a good player, the game is literally over before the Russian armor comes trundling down the road network to save the day... tracked the entire way by mobile German scouts...

Way back in the day, Larry Reese schooled me hard on the stupidity of charging into the teeth of King Tigers, Tigers, and Panthers sitting in a defensive position with long sight lines... My Stalin's exploded and burned as they sought to close on the German position... it was a quick and brutal end...

Panzermeyer demonstrated on me the power of focused and aggressive tactics of German Blitzkrieg...

I got blasted, however, I did learn some tremendous lessons in those early matches...

Historically, the scenario just ain't real... Yet, that doesn't stop it from being an instructive battle... It may even be a little harder with EA...

I was developing a massive rewrite of the scenario that would not have been historically accurate, but would have made use of the entire map... However, a virus wiped out the hard drive... and I never went back to rebuild it...
12-08-2010, 03:29 PM,
I would have loved to see that rewrite of the scenario. There is an AAR I did of the last game of Giants I played a few years back. Man, that was a barn burner, let me tell you. I still think we've had some good experiences with this scenario.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
12-17-2010, 07:10 PM,
(12-08-2010, 09:27 AM)Scud Wrote: I think Dog Soldier wrote that line when setting up the forum for us. Nonetheless, the key word would be "highlighting". Doesn't mean a stock scenario can't be nominated. Since there was only one nomination this month, especially.

We still need to come up with a good way to nominate scenarios.

Also, if we limit this forum to only custom scenarios we run the risk of scenarios that fewer members have played.

Dave

I think it would be just right if we nominated (good) scenario's that have not been played a lot and are lesser known. People can then play it and discuss it on this forum. There are plenty of well made custom scenarios from members here that hardly ever get played.

Huib
12-18-2010, 03:05 AM,
(12-17-2010, 07:10 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote: I think it would be just right if we nominated (good) scenario's that have not been played a lot and are lesser known. People can then play it and discuss it on this forum. There are plenty of well made custom scenarios from members here that hardly ever get played.

Huib

Fine by me. It's already the 17th, so start thinking of January's now. Anyone who has one they'd like showcased can nominate it here and we'll pick the last week in December.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-18-2010, 12:42 PM,
I would like to nominate “** Fortress stirring the pot” one of the best of the custom made scn I have played in a very long time.

I have played thought the testing process for both sides and can say this will be a doable challenge to either player if both sides are of a same ability.

Thanks HSL for a good enjoyable game.
01-02-2011, 08:03 PM,
I would like to nominate EF **The Bitter Kuuterselka by Petri Nieminen. It's an historical scenario in the finest tradition. It's very challenging for both sides.