• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Open Team Challenge
12-01-2010, 08:32 AM,
RE: Open Team Challenge
Larry and Jim will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all options except variable visibility is fine.
For ROE I would say the usual - no drawing fire with half tracks (not many in this game) or trucks. No using trucks to help surround a close assault.
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM,
I'm on board... all options except VV...

No issue with truck limitations... I have no plans to give free points by exposing them to danger...

On halftracks, I agree that they shouldn't be waved to soak up all opfire... or used to create unloaded halftrack swarms... I see them as combat vehicles and the limitations agreed to should not restrict them so they are only a glorified truck... after all, their VP cost when they get destroyed makes it such that I can't see us getting suicidal with them.. I think they should be allowed recon roles which on occasion may trip opfire... and coordinated usage with infantry in close assaults...

I think this is their historical and doctrinal usage... they are just a tad more than an armored truck... but not quite a tank...

Just my thoughts on it...

Jim
12-01-2010, 10:45 PM,
Optional rules were stipulated in the original challenge. As for ROE (my standard) I would suggest is basically along the lines below:

Troop carrying HT (TCHT) cannot be used for empty scouting - must be accompanied by their infantry. Armed, non-troop carrying HT (NTCHT) can scout all they like (and are generally treated as any other armored vehicle).

TCHT cannot be used in combat more than 500 meters from their passenger infantry (they can drive up, drop infantry, and retreat an unlimited distance - this caveat relates to them staying in the front line in the thick of the fray).

TCHT can assault non-armor units as long there are friendly infantry units (not necessarily their own) involved in the assault as well).

TCHT can help surround enemy armor for other units to assault (again, subject to the stipulations of combat usage, i.e. their infantry would have to be within 500 meters or so).

TCHT can be used as observers, again as long as their infantry are within 500 meters.

On trucks, players can use these however they wish, with one exception, empty trucks, alone, cannot be used to help surround enemy units. Key word here is alone - if a truck drives up and drops infantry in a surround position, and does not have movement points to drive away, that's fine.

Not as complicated as it might sound at first, and I think adds a lot to the reality of the game (such as it is).

If we're all agreed, I'll await the first Allied turn!

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
12-01-2010, 11:33 PM,
This sounds good to me.

Rob
12-02-2010, 12:39 AM,
Guys,

I think we're getting too far in the weeds when we're creating arbitrary distance limit on a halftrack... We played this previously and it was never an issue... I don't think it will be an issue in this game...

I'll be honest, I won't abide by a 500m limit because I'm not going to keep track of it.. if my halftracks need to be a click or two from their infantry due to open terrain and threat of M10, 17lber, or airstrikes, then so be it... If I need them to act as a screen in front or on the flanks of my infantry they screen as terrain dictates... commander's discretion... a realistic military mission...

I can promise that my halftracks will not act as a locust swarm.... they won't conduct unaccompanied raids... they won't assault armor... they will be used in a historic military manner...

I think we're saying the same thing, but I won't get into a discussion of limited distance because I don't want to get into oh your violating the ROE because that unit is 750m from an infantry unit... then what?

I have no interest in measuring distance between a halftrack and infantry hoping not to violate the ROE.. I have a hard enough time attempting to keep battalions together without having to worry about is that halftrack 500m from the infantry... If they are acting in the same sector as their infantry that should be the limit IMHO...

Just my take on it...

Jim
12-02-2010, 02:05 AM,
Well, let us Allied commanders know when you guys agree. I just don't want HTs drawing op-fire or assaulting disrupted armor alone.

Rob
12-02-2010, 02:06 AM,
I don't have a problem with any of that - the 500 meters is a rule of thumb (that's why I said simpler than it sounds).

LR

12-02-2010, 04:31 AM,
Actually it sounds like we agree... realistic usage... I have no issue with Rob's terms for ROE... no assault on disrupted armor alone AND no systematic drawing of OPFIRE... its how I play... I just don't want to worry about a 500m rule as well...

If you get an OPFIRE on one of my halftracks its because I didn't realize you were there... but those will be few and far between as I value my halftracks and their high VP cost...

Regards,

Jim
12-02-2010, 08:16 AM,
I know, and like I always say, if the enemy really really wants to use those trucks as a portable smoke screen, go ahead - I'll soak up those extra points any day.

LR

12-02-2010, 09:35 AM,
I think we are ready. Let the invasion begin.