• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer Campaigns Korsun
11-24-2010, 01:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2010, 01:59 AM by Philippe.)
Panzer Campaigns Korsun
I haven't formally announced it and I don't even have any screenshots yet, but the Korsun mod is available for download at Task Force Echo Four.

The features are generally the same as with all my other mods, and include the new damage marker that I developed breaching anti-tank ditches in Kursk. This version doesn't include any new images (yet) but does have unit symbols rearranged on the unit image so that everything is clear and as little as possible overlaps. I had toyed with the idea of producing a version with snow camo and a version without, but it may take me a while to even figure out if it's worth the effort. As a result I've left the German artillery pretty much alone -- to see what not leaving it alone means take a closer look at Kursk (lots of dunkelgelb) and Stalingrad (lots of white snow camo).

The big development (and the real reason for this post) is that I now have a better handle on what my size constraints are. Unless I've miscalculated, the missing sound files will fit for the time being. If and when the mods start getting too bulky I'll strip all the sound files out and create a single master set of everything that's missing -- so if you don't care about sound effects you won't have to download it. This is what HPS should be doing, and I'm hoping to be made redundant in this respect as soon as possible. Squandering all this bandwidth on things that should be in the official patches is preventing me from rolling out the last main feature of my mods.

In the meantime, my Korsun mod deprives the Russian partisans of their Hollywood silencers. If you have a partisan and he shoots at something, you'll now hear it. Before he was firing in absolute silence. I've gone through all of my other mods and added in sounds here and there -- mostly storms and weapons -- that seemed like they should have been there in the first place. I haven't added in movement sounds yet because I think there's a glitch, and I'm also holding back on night sounds.

So even if you don't use my mods, it might be a good idea to check what I've got in the media folders. Some of these sound files look like they've been MIA for three years or more.

P.S. -- I don't usually trouble myself with replacing missing HPS files, but Volcano Man made these files and they're very good.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
Quote this message in a reply