• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Radios
11-04-2010, 07:04 AM,
Radios
If you are playing a battle with some of the vehicles and some of the infantry being equipped with radios however, there is no air or artillery support available, what type of game assets would the radios provide?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2010, 07:20 AM,
RE: Radios
For music, of course. Helps morale. ;)

But seriously, I believe they and similar items (such as NV goggles and binoculars) are often included by the scenario designer for additional realism, even in scenarios where there wouldn't be any use for them.

Personally, I try to remember to go and ditch any unnecessary equipment like that on my first move.
11-04-2010, 07:54 AM,
Is there any reason for dropping unneeded equipment?
I can only imagine that I´ll get a better overview of the troops, weapons etc.?
Or will I get any advantage for reduced wheight or something like this?
11-04-2010, 08:45 AM,
Anything like a radio, NV goggles, etc, is considered the weight of another weapon, like a rifle, Panzerfaust, etc. Dropping stuff can really increase your movement points. If I have to really hustle, I'll even drop Panzerfausts since 2 of them can slow down a 9 man squad.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

11-04-2010, 01:41 PM,
Gamey? Since the platoon still need the radio for command and control purposes in real life.
Send this user an email
11-05-2010, 02:33 AM,
It depends on how you look at it, really.

The realism part of it is nice, but if the radio (or equipment/weapon) serves no useful purpose in that specific scenario, such as to call in support, then the designer probably would have been better off simply not having it in there.

The extra equipment can really drag down the movement of a squad, probably in a disproportionate way.

Unlike Mad_Dog, however, I'd never drop a Panzerfaust!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
11-05-2010, 12:05 PM,
I dont see it as gamey, you are lightening your load for tactical reasons during a battle. If Sgt Elias isnt around to carry it for you , then pick it afterwards.
Though like Alan I dont ever drop the panzerfausts
244 games with legend that is Richie61
11-05-2010, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 11:36 PM by Gasbag.)
(11-05-2010, 12:05 PM)Laza Wrote: I dont see it as gamey, you are lightening your load for tactical reasons during a battle. If Sgt Elias isnt around to carry it for you , then pick it afterwards.

I agree. "Sgt Crapgame" isn't always there to lug the extra equipment around.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
11-06-2010, 01:33 AM,
(11-05-2010, 12:05 PM)Laza Wrote: I dont see it as gamey, you are lightening your load for tactical reasons during a battle. If Sgt Elias isnt around to carry it for you , then pick it afterwards.

Awesome reference, Laz.

What's the matter boy, he ain't gonna bite you.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4