• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stratagies of War - Economy of Force
11-02-2010, 02:41 AM,
RE: Stratagies of War - Economy of Force
(11-01-2010, 03:54 AM)JasonC Wrote: Firing at long range to delay the enemy, let alone this snippet of advice "it is you that must always outnumber and outgun the enemy. Doing so should cost the enemy more then it does you, and if this can be repeated over and over again" - don't work as economy in CM battles.
Boneheaded enemy play is the only other major force multiplier beyond even trades, available, and you can't force it by your own actions.
Dial down the ambition and dial up the professionalism. Settle for solid, sound play.

One man's opinion...

I will start with this little statement here as time is tight right now. I do not think that I told anyone to fire off weapons at ranges that render them ineffective in order to delay enemy movement. I am assuming that players out there are smart enough to know that infantry firing outside of their effective ranges and into great cover is a waste of ammunition, and reveals your positions to the advancing enemy. But there are times and opportunities to lay down some effective fire on enemy units, then scoot out of LOS and into new positions that are out of the LOS of the enemy. Now, not all maps afford this tactic to you every time, but there are times when this can and is used. If you choose not to use it when the situation presents itself, go right ahead, I pray that more of my opponents do so, I love dealing with a static defence. I say however; you are missing out on a chance to improve the odds of you comming out on top in the battle. To start off by brushing aside any tactic that may gain you an advantage might be your first bonehead play, and does not sound like one dialing up the professionalism.
As far as the snippet to outnumber and outgun is concerned. why this can't be done on a local level within the boundaries of a CM map might need to be explained to me. If you can use the tactic in a game of checkers, I am sure that you are quite capable of doing so in CM. Plus, I am just the messenger here, I think this is an "Art of War" startement, you might want to take it up with the guy that wrote the book. I believe that they have been teaching this for several years now, maybe you need to pen a new volume.
And lastly, to say that you cannot force the enemy to make a boneheaded play is absurd. It is called initiative. Sports teams do it all the time, make the other team play your game, not the other way around. Debates are won and lost with initiative, not just superior facts. CM is no different, it is a game just like football, hockey, checkers and others. If a person is forced to react all the time, he is at a great disadvantage.
When I have more time I will read your statements more closely, would be interested in knowing what others think of the ideas presented.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Stratagies of War - Economy of Force - by Ratzki - 10-30-2010, 12:37 PM
RE: Stratagies of War - Economy of Force - by Ratzki - 11-02-2010, 02:41 AM