• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Questions for Glenn Saunders
10-27-2010, 05:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2010, 05:22 PM by Indragnir.)
Questions for Glenn Saunders
Hi Glenn,

I was reading Glantz's works about Kharkov and Stalingrad battles, he provided some detailed TO&E for russian forces.

Regarding TO&E in your games, I presume every unit under BN structure is integrated on the counter.

What about with regimental-level assets? Let me explain.

Glantz stated a russian division (1942) TO&E at regimental level have 6xAT guns bty a 4x76mm artillery bty and a 6x120/82mm mortar bty.
That would be 3 counters plus 3 BN counters.

What I want to ask is: by the design philosophy you integrated those regimental levels assets on BN counters?
I'm confused since infantry guns are quite consistently represented (german side mainly) across the games (barring Korsun and Normandy, those games are special, historical TO&E to the max.) but not the other regimental assets.

On a divisional level I presume (same example) 6x 37mm AA would be integrated on the infantry counters, wouldn't be?
However Tank Brigades (Kharkov) have small AA unit counters...

Another question.
Glantz stated a FULL strenght russian infantry division by 1942 should have 44 artillery guns (36x76mm + 12x122mm).
In the games they range from 12 to 24, in your experience the russian division artillery were so understrenght (almost in every tittle) or it's a matter of balance?

BTW: did you receive my second e-mail (replying you)?

Thank you in advance.
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2010, 08:59 AM,
RE: Questions for Glenn Saunders
Yes I recieved your emails

On the OOB info - I didn't actually build the Russian OOBs - those were created by someone else so I can't answer you question on # of guns and number of counters per unit ect.

I can say that guns have not been removed for Play Balance purposes. Some fire effects of Reginmental guns or Btln AT Guns might be included in the combat values of other units in order to reduce the amount of Arty firing and in recognition that AT guns for a formation would be deployed and unit among the infantry those guns support. AA Guns are often factored into AA values for units because if you give playes too many counters, some may drown in them and others will just put them to use as Tranch and IP builders and generally use them for some purpose other than to provide AA fire.

I do know that many small Arty counters just add firing with a lot of no effects and nothing to the overall game play.

You are also correct that the Normandy OOB and Korsun were created by someone else again and have there own differences.

In any case you have the editors and are free to build your own OOB from scratch if you feel there is insuffient detail in the OOB that came with the game.
Send this user an email
10-28-2010, 05:37 PM,
Thanks Glenn,

Really I was trying to figure if regimental assets (russian side) were integrated into BN counters. I know german ones (Infantry guns) are usually on map.

I agree about AA units. If you put them they will serve as everything but AA cover. Maybe some day John Tiller add them a "flag" to make them unable of digging, paired with no ZOC (like a HQ unit) and low attack/defense values (but for AA values).

Bests
César
10-29-2010, 12:34 PM,
(10-28-2010, 05:37 PM)Indragnir Wrote: Really I was trying to figure if regimental assets (russian side) were integrated into BN counters. I know german ones (Infantry guns) are usually on map.

César

I hear ya - but I am not sure - as it wasn't me who went through the info as you are doing.

That said I think putting these guns in the btln and factoring them into your values would likely bethe way to go because the russan systems were very tight and adding extra counters would give a soviet player more flexibilty than he should have.
Send this user an email
10-29-2010, 05:35 PM,
(10-29-2010, 12:34 PM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
(10-28-2010, 05:37 PM)Indragnir Wrote: Really I was trying to figure if regimental assets (russian side) were integrated into BN counters. I know german ones (Infantry guns) are usually on map.

César

I hear ya - but I am not sure - as it wasn't me who went through the info as you are doing.

That said I think putting these guns in the btln and factoring them into your values would likely bethe way to go because the russan systems were very tight and adding extra counters would give a soviet player more flexibilty than he should have.

Glenn,

It sounds good to me. Thank you.

At regimental level I'm leaned to factorized AT/AA assets into BN counters for both sides and give the germans a separate counter with heavy mortar/IG.

Bests
César