• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Supply Question
10-27-2010, 03:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2010, 03:50 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: Supply Question
(10-27-2010, 02:29 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote:
(10-26-2010, 10:44 PM)raizer Wrote: course the player never has to seek them out-he always knows where they are in the game and can simply move right to them without ever have to "seekout" or "decrypt ulta", whatever...just move to the hexes and end the game

Conversely, an Axis player knows where the Allied player is headed and can set a "trap". Just spotting a light Allied reece unit like this is enough in most desert scenarios to kill it.

There are several measures an Axis player can take for rear security in the desert.

1. Axis Reece units are plentiful and can be used as VM suggests to create a screen on the flanks making a flanking move by the Allied player impossible or at least a very long trip. This is a passive response. It also does not preclude the need to garrison the supply point. It does have an advantage of using the Axis A/C at the front then recalling them quickly to the rear if an intruder is detected.

2. A more aggressive move is to create Axis Reece hunter killer groups. Most scenarios will only require one as in the scenario example in this thread. The group is composed of two or three armored car units and one or two motorcycle infantry. Both unit types have the high MP to cover vast areas. The M/C will need to be mounted / dismounted during search turns, but can in some cases be left in travel mode.
A little advance planning by the Axis player will allow these groups to cover more than half the rear area each turn searching out any Allied infiltrators. The Axis A/C can locate and pin an Allied A/C while the M/C infantry move up to deliver the assault. In stock scenarios such an infantry assault will destroy the surrounded Allied A/C outright. In _alt scenarios you might need to delegate some PkwI unit(s) to do the same job.
An air strike, will also do the job in a pinch. Some Axis artillery is of a long enough range, to be positioned at times to cover both the front and the rear. In stock games an artillery shot on the spotted Allied A/C will end the argument with flaming vehicles. The better disruption chance of air strikes and artillery strikes on armor will at least cripple the Allied A/C so it can then be finished off by surrounding it and assault.

3. In either of the above strategies, be sure to garrison the supply points with a long range HQ, like Rommel himself or an one hex range ATG. I prefer the ATG approach in most cases as these units are often dead weight at the front and have the advantage over the HQ to dig in on the supply point. They may even end the threat with an ambush shot on an Allied A/C trying to occupy the supply point from outside LOS. Once entrenched they will last long enough against a small Allied A/C force until you can send help to eliminate the threat. A spare flak unit can also help out if available. This will keep Allied air strikes off your garrison and add a ZOC where needed.

4. As the Axis you only need to guard / garrison one of these supply points, not all of them, to keep your forces from a cheap isolation. He who defends everything defends nothing. The other supply point(s) can be used as honey pots to trap Allied intruders. Just keep an eye on them by long range recon. If you find a squatter, (I hope you were expecting to find one) have your hunter killer group in range to swoop in on the squatter. Using the board edge to your advantage to not allow the squatter an escape route is just as fair as squatting is in the first place.

Bottom line, I never concern myself too much with the gameyness of supply source squatting. Like encircling an infantry Bn with 3 vehicle flak units, there is a counter move to such tactics. One has to follow the cardinal rule of PzC and always keep a reserve for the unexpected. Protecting / disrupting supply in the desert can be a mini game in itself in most North Africa scenarios. A real chance for some cat and mouse play for both sides.

Dog Soldier

Thanks a bunch Dog Soldier! You sure gave a ton of information that I am trying to digest however, I'm not sure what some of the abbreviations, you used, stand for.

A/C = armored car
M/C = motorcycle or mechanized units ????
ATG= anti-tank gun
PkwI unit(s) = ????

Thanks Again!
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2010, 05:05 AM,
(10-27-2010, 03:48 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: PkwI unit(s) = ????
[Image: a423ded588Jag1.JPG]

I think he means the PzJag-1, a MK1 chassis mounting a 47mm gun, this has a superior hard attack value although it is lightly armoured.
10-27-2010, 05:25 AM,
Ahh, Ok thanks Foul!!
10-27-2010, 05:26 AM,
Sorry to disagree, but I think he means PzKw I. We'll soon find out, I'm sure he'll report in before too long.
10-27-2010, 06:02 AM,
(10-27-2010, 05:26 AM)alaric99x Wrote: Sorry to disagree, but I think he means PzKw I. We'll soon find out, I'm sure he'll report in before too long.

You can disagree no problem and you may be correct ;), it depends if he is talking generally or about the scenario in question as it does not have any PzKw1 units on the map. :chin:
10-27-2010, 06:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2010, 06:18 AM by alaric99x.)
No PzKw I in that scenario? That might just cause my theory to crash and burn.

But, as you say, it depends on whether he's talking about any particular scenario.
10-27-2010, 07:09 AM,
The tension is unbearable... :)

Jison
Send this user an email
10-27-2010, 07:21 AM,
(10-27-2010, 07:09 AM)Jison Wrote: The tension is unbearable... :)

Jison
Indeed, "to be or not to be a MK1" :smoke:

There is never anyone coming by with a Bear Hat on when you need one! :hissy: :whis:
10-27-2010, 07:44 AM,
I'm convinced that he's watching this little circus and not answering on purpose...
10-27-2010, 08:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2010, 08:57 AM by Compass Rose.)
Now you guys have really gotten my curiosity going.