• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smoke
05-27-2011, 03:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2011, 11:42 AM by Troll.)
Smoke
Smoke

Any unit during WWII which could fire a smoke round should be added to the OB. This includes tanks etc.

Any artillery unit towed or capable of moving on foot (including mortars) and which are capable of Direct Fire, and also capable of firing smoke should be able to fire smoke in the same turn that they begin, and fire that smoke as Direct Fire. If these units are capable of firing HE as direct fire in the turn they begin, then there is no reason why they should not be able to lay/fire smoke as direct fire in the same turn they begin, as do engineers.

Just some thoughts
All feedback is welcome
Joe
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2011, 04:03 AM,
RE: Smoke
I'll second all that again...TJ
05-27-2011, 05:09 AM,
I'll third that notion! Big Grin
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
05-29-2011, 09:56 PM,
I believe all units that can (and did) fire smoke have the ability to fire smoke in CS.

As for smoke candles on tanks: that should not allow them the ability to place smoke like an engineer unit. The amount of smoke generated is too small to do much more than obsure the tank a bit.

I also agree that a unit capable of firing smoke indirectly should be able to fire it directly.

The programing is already present in the British A9, A10, A13 CS tanks who all can fire smoke directly. In fact they can fire smoke into any hex within range whether they have LOS or not.

Thanx!

Hawk
05-30-2011, 09:09 AM,
I agree with the Hawk! :smoke:

cheers

HSL
06-03-2011, 12:42 PM,
(05-29-2011, 09:56 PM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: I believe all units that can (and did) fire smoke have the ability to fire smoke in CS.

As for smoke candles on tanks: that should not allow them the ability to place smoke like an engineer unit. The amount of smoke generated is too small to do much more than obsure the tank a bit.

I also agree that a unit capable of firing smoke indirectly should be able to fire it directly.

The programing is already present in the British A9, A10, A13 CS tanks who all can fire smoke directly. In fact they can fire smoke into any hex within range whether they have LOS or not.

Thanx!

Hawk

This is my whole point regarding why engineer platoons should not be allowed to generate smoke in my opinion. No platoon had the hundreds of smoke grenades that would be necessary to create even a linear smoke screen two hundred meters long, especially not with WWII era materials. The engineers smoke in the game greatly unbalances the whole system from a historical perspective. No accounts from any side that I have ever read, professional or anecdotal, have even remotely the amount and types of usage of smoke we get in this game. My recommendation would be to limit smoke to tube artillery (the only delivery system that tended to reliably have the quantities of smoke generation ordnance required for repeated screens the way you see them in CS) since air craft cannot lay smoke in this game system (for example the huge smokes screens used for river crossings by the Russians tended to be laid both by artillery and aircraft). If we absolutely have to have smoke laid by engineer platoons, I would limit them to a single "puff" each (unless they have a truckload of smokes replenishing them ever single turn).

And above, I'm actually being generous, considering the screen to be linear only, while the game engine considers it to fill the entire hex. I just think it's silly. My grandfather, who fought as a combat engineer in both Europe and Korea (and was reported MIA in the Bulge) never described anything remotely like the smoke usage you get in this game.

Just my two cents.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.