• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What's a Greenhorn General to do?
10-18-2010, 12:03 AM,
RE: What's a Greenhorn General to do?
Set up what you want and I'll play. Side doesn't matter.
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2010, 02:53 AM,
(10-18-2010, 12:03 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Set up what you want and I'll play. Side doesn't matter.

Ok, file is heading your way. It is 20 turns Yartsevo. I am Germans.

Thank you for reply!

Skryabin.
10-18-2010, 06:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 06:30 AM by Dog Soldier.)
(10-16-2010, 09:01 PM)Foul. Wrote:
(10-16-2010, 09:04 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Now where is my head? RickyB took it off in our last tournament game in the AAR section.....could he please return it? The trophy is probably in a box in his garage now as he has many others to display on the shelf. Big Grin
I am shocked! :eek1:

Does he have the bear hat as well????? :( :(

No, I still have the bear hat. Looks strange on my shoulders without the head. But it does scare some opponents (in a Sleepy Hollow sort of way) so I can not complain.

Halloween is coming soon.....
[Image: aac0423b79headless%20horseman%201.jpg]

Dog Soldier
(10-17-2010, 08:53 AM)Al Wrote:
Quote:Are you talking here about 3D map specifically?

I don't want to speak for Dog Soldier but I don't believe that he was referring specifically to 3D alone - although it can help.

Since I usually play CG's I have no problem with my opponent checking out initial dispositions (like most have said, it doesn't last much past the first turn) but what I look at is 1) the locations of objective hexes and 2) likely avenues of approach such as roads, valleys or clear terrain and 3) strong defensive positions.

From my experience these have significant impact on the games.

Al is correct. A of study of the ground can be enhanced by looking at the 3D display. Al's three points are a great place to start. All through the game, one has to look to how to choose the ground where the fight will be. If you can make your opponent stand or come to you on ground of your choosing, then you have a better chance of winning.

[Image: 10cf3ef791Bowling%20Alley.jpg]
"Worst ground I have ever seen....."

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-18-2010, 06:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 06:45 AM by Skryabin.)
(10-18-2010, 06:14 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: All through the game, one has to look to how to choose the ground where the fight will be. If you can make your opponent stand or come to you on ground of your choosing, then you have a better chance of winning.

And what are the things you are usually looking for when choosing the ground for a battle? Some kind of terrain or location?

Skryabin
10-18-2010, 07:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 07:54 AM by Dog Soldier.)
There are far too many variables to set up any hard and fast rules to live by. Things to consider are:
What are the forces I have and what ground is best for them?
Is the enemy upon us or do I have time to prepare?
What is the status of my reserves? Can they get to this ground in a reasonable time affect the defense / attack?

These are just a few things. It really depends on the situation and your knowledge of what your forces are capable of. Look first to your plan, then to what ground will facilitate that plan.

Do you have significantly smaller forces? Look for a choke point in the terrain with secure flanks. Agincourt and Omdurman come to mind to illustrate this principle. Rorke's Drift is an example of what not to do.

Just a few examples from history....

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-21-2010, 03:01 AM,
if you are inf playing against tanks; find the woods and stay there

stay out of the clear lol!
10-21-2010, 03:27 AM,
(10-18-2010, 07:53 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Do you have significantly smaller forces? Look for a choke point in the terrain with secure flanks. Agincourt and Omdurman come to mind to illustrate this principle. Rorke's Drift is an example of what not to do.

[Image: 400px-Map_Agincort.svg.png]
Yes, this one is very interesting. The archers were like artillery in those days :thumbs_up:

Skryabin
10-21-2010, 03:52 AM,
Thanks for all of the suggestions and tips so far. They have been most helpful!