• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AFVs and Woods
10-12-2010, 10:12 AM,
AFVs and Woods
Hello,

When moving into a woods hex from a non-road hex with tanks or SPGs, I notice it is not uncommon to lose an AFV while doing this. Kinda makes sense but I was wondering what are the parameters for that loss was and where does that written rule show up?

Thanks,
Mike
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 01:35 PM,
RE: AFVs and Woods
This effect is known as vehicle breakdown and can happen on any hex really.
Send this user an email
10-12-2010, 01:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM by Volcano Man.)
Yes, (if I am not mistaken) breakdown depends on the amount of MPs expended by the unit. So, if a unit expends a lot of MPs in one hex, then it is most likely to lose a vehicle based on the breakdown probability value in the PDT. This is similar to the effect of moving a long distance in the open terrain. It is a very nice effect to discourage vehicle movement through built up terrain. :)

edit: clarificaiton
Send this user an email
10-13-2010, 12:10 AM,
any way to tell this apart from an interdiction?
10-13-2010, 01:40 AM,
If you mean while moving, I believe so - if a breakdown, I believe the unit just loses a vehicle, no report, while interdiction shows the losses on screen and the unit stops moving if it was a click and drag movement.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-13-2010, 04:58 AM,
As Rick said the vehicles just disappear without any report, so it can be very easy to lose a few vehicles out of larger units without even noticing! :(
10-13-2010, 05:45 AM,
are the breakdown percentages the same for all vehicles on one side, or are they set individually by vehicle?
10-13-2010, 06:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2010, 06:06 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
...from the rules....

"Depending on the value of the Vehicle Breakdown Parameter Data, it is possible that a unit consisting of vehicles will lose strength as it moves. The probability of this happening depends not only on the parameter data value, but also the quality of the unit and the movement cost associated with the move. However, a unit with a single vehicle is never eliminated by this process.

Given a movement cost of C for a given unit with V vehicles, a parameter data Breakdown value of B, and a quality modifier of Q, the probability that the movement will result in a strength loss of 1 vehicle is given by:

Probability = V * C * B / (40000 * Q)

Note that this probability is scaled so that when B = 1, then a 100 vehicle unit of C Quality will on average suffer a 1 vehicle loss when moving 100 hexes via primary road. The Quality Modifier is given by:

A Quality => Modifier = 1.2
B Quality => Modifier = 1.1
C Quality => Modifier = 1
D Quality => Modifier = 0.8
E Quality => Modifier = 0.6
F Quality => Modifier = 0.4

When a unit is flagged as being Low Reliability in the Order of Battle, then the probability of having a breakdown is 3 times the normal probability."

So value B is set for all vehicles of a particular side by the PDT, then quality and low reliability come into play.
10-13-2010, 06:04 AM,
The same, but individual tank types can have a flag set for extra breakdowns - they are more unreliable. I am at work, check the manual for details, I think it is double the breakdown percentage.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-13-2010, 06:07 AM,
Hit the post button at the same time as Rick. :)