• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Trouble accessing Help files (running Windows 7)
12-10-2010, 12:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM by Rabbit.)
Trouble accessing Help files (running Windows 7)
Does anyone else have trouble opening the Help files (General Help, Campaign Notes, User Manual, and Getting Started) from within any of the SB games via the menu pull-down or by using hotkeys (e.g., F1)? I can open them from the Desktop (e.g., by clicking Start > All Programs > HPS Red Victory > Red Victory > Main Program Help File), but nothing happens when I try opening them from within the game itself.

I tend to think it has something to do with the fact that I'm running Windows 7 and that the Help files are in a format that is incompatible with Windows 7. However, I've installed the WinHlp32.exe (suggested by Microsoft's KB917607 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 ) and besides I thought the Help files were in PDF format now. It's not a big deal to me at all; I'm really just raising the issue in case new players experience the same thing.
Nevermind. Known issue. I forgot all about the post on HPS' site about Windows 7... (see http://www.hpssims.com/vistahelp.htm )

Btw, I tried deleting this post, but I didn't have permissions.
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2010, 09:21 AM,
RE: Trouble accessing Help files (running Windows 7)
Are you sure you have the latest patches installed? Using the F keys to call the manuals in the SB games I have all open pdf files not windows help files. I use WIN7 and have set up a library for SB which makes accessing anything I need really easy if I choose that route instead of using the in game functions.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-16-2010, 05:17 AM,
And you need to have downloaded the pdf's from the HPS patches site.
12-16-2010, 06:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 06:57 AM by -72-.)
I know that some of the older titles (in general), didn't always have a pdf file made. I have software that can convert a .hlp files into pretty much any format, including pdf and html among others, like .doc files.

If anyone wants/needs this done - just drop me a line, if I have the game, I'll be happy to do it.
Bydand
Send this user an email
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM,
I think all the SB titles include the alternate word doc format rules manuals. Word docs can be easily converted to pdf files.

The problem might be changing the help menu items to call the pdf files you make if you want this to work from in-game.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp