• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New round of mod updates for Panzer Campaigns
10-17-2010, 03:12 AM,
RE: New round of mod updates for Panzer Campaigns
Thanks for these superb looking mods :bow:

Any plans for Salerno and Sicily? I guess those are the only titles you haven't modded so far.
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2010, 04:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2010, 04:03 AM by Philippe.)
What's not modded at this point is Sicily, Korsun, Salerno, Sealion, and Rzhev.

I have half-completed mods in the works for Sicily and Korsun.

I don't own Rzhev so I can't test it, but it's similar enough to the other East Front games that I may do a stop-gap mod on it. The idea is that I'd upgrade it to full status when Volcano Man does _alt scenarios for it (and my budget recovers).

Salerno and Sealion are too much of a stretch to do blind, so they may have to wait a bit.

In the meantime I took a modding detour to do the Total War in Europe series. That's almost finished, after which I'll get back to Panzer Campaigns.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
10-18-2010, 11:28 AM,
NIce work Phillippe!

one question,

Where do you get the insignias to represent the HQ counters from??
I ve did that job before but i was not complete able to get most of them.

Arturo Carretero
Orberststurmführer
4° Pz Div
75 +

There is no Glory without Tears and Blood....

http://pc-war-gaming.blogspot.com/

http://mysecondworldwar.blogspot.com/

Send this user an email
10-19-2010, 05:12 AM,
Not sure I understand your question.

But I'll take a wild stab at it anyway.

Assuming you mean the HQ insignia that appear in the unit box, if you have installed my mod correctly (HPS + latest patch + latest Volcano Man + Jison's MapMod + latest version of Philippe) most of those insignia are flowing through from Volcano Man. A few of them are mine, and you can tell which ones are which by looking at the transparent color background: almost everything that I've had to change has a dark green background.

If you're asking a semiotics question, the answer can be found by reading the notes of the relevant Osprey book and visiting the AxisHistory, Feldgrau, and Commando Supremo sites. WW2 day-by day used to have a pretty good collection symbols (including the German tactical symbols) and a fantastic collection of photographs but that site got eviscerated, allegedly for copyright reasons.

[I find this last point really puzzling when it comes to photographs -- if you own the only copy in existence of a WW II German photograph of something, what you own is the actual physical print and not the rights to the image. The owner of the copyright on the image is the original photographer (or their employer, in the case of official military photographs). Absent any legitimate document transfering rights on the image (as opposed to the physical photograph) from one of these parties to a subsequent holder, most claims of ownership over these images are hopelessly fraught. And I seriously doubt that the Third Reich is in a position to make a stink that would stand up in court over the use of images that they owned prior to May 1945.]

Getting back to the mod, my agreement with Volcano Man is that I only include the parts of his mods that I feel need changing for one reason or another. When I need to come up with something different than what is already there, the first thing I usually do is to take a look at mods that I've done for other games over the years that address the same issue (I reserve the right to steal from myself). In practise what usually happens is that my older solution won't be an exact fit in the new situation, so I end up doing a lot of reworking. To get a better sense of what I'm talking about, look at the flag symbols that appear on the unit counters in my Total War in Europe mods. They're influenced by the work I did for Battlefront's Strategic Command 2 (primarily the game, though I also did a mod for it that included the flags which I couldn't include in the official release), but at the end of the day I had to resize and repaint almost every single flag in there that gets used (except for the flags that you see in the unit editor -- there I only bothered changing a few of the more egregiously incorrect ones).

Did I answer your question ? If not, take a stab at rephrasing it or we're in danger of my boring everyone to death.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.