• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Flashing Sword of Retribution
11-07-2010, 08:39 AM,
RE: Flashing Sword of Retribution
Good stuff guys! Looking forward to future installments.
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2010, 11:23 PM,
I have downloaded fsr a couple times over the years, even the most current version and for the life of me I cant seem to get those xtra small sized counters fixed over on the W edge of the map-I think they are GD units. Should I not load this with VM's art? The counters are small and they dont display when I select them
11-12-2010, 05:42 PM,
Thanks for the encouragement fellas. Things have slowed down slightly we both have some real life issues but I'm sure normal progress will resume at some stage. Raizer, I don't know if this helps but we had a lot of counters that didn't show. One of Her Oberst's friends updated the graphic files, not sure if they have been added to the main zip or if you have to install them separately. I'm sure someone will tell us. It's definitely an exciting scenario and very gripping.
11-19-2010, 11:11 AM,
After a small impasse due to personal stuff, we carry on this great battle.
The Russian assault of Belgorod is for the time stopped thanks to the reinforced lines with the LSSAH coming from the east.
In Volchansk the Soviets are redoubling their efforts by a frontal massive attack with apparently fresh troops on the Das Reich sector (the open steppe north of the city) ant the eastern tip of the fortified positions of GD.
The damage inflicted on the advancing infantry is great, but also the casualties and fatigue suffered by the defenders are serious. The decision I must make is whether to try holding Volchansk or retreat to the west of the river.
On one hand, the Russians seem on the verge of exhaustion and the fortified city offers better chances of survival than trying to cross a river pursued by the Red Army (which I had suffered at the start of the campaign).
On the other hand, I cannot allow my scarce but mobile troops being held on a battle of attrition favorable to the enemy with their superior numbers and artillery.
The rest of the front is quiet, with the pressure on the south contained by tactical counterattacks by the panzer units.
With the visibility still minimum it is hard to guess the Russian intentions, but the high mobility of the German units and the good railway net grants security against a mayor breakthrough.
11-23-2010, 03:59 AM,
will we have pictures? ;)
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"
11-30-2010, 08:50 AM,
Will we have ANYTHING, my friends?
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM,
After a time in wich we had real life issues, I am very glad Ivan and I resumed this chalenging battle.
It seems a renewed agressive spirit is guiding the Russian troops.
The enemy is attempting a new assault on the lines just three Kilometers of Belgorod, but for the time no move westwards is detected.
In Volchansk a very heavy assault is taking place, with Das Reich performing a fighting withdrawal in north of the city, which is defended by Grossdeutschland and the remnants of two German Infantry Divisions. Although the Soviet artillery is strong and their infantry very numerous, I hope the excellent quality of the defenders will stem the tide.
In the extreme south, the three Panzer Divisions, supported by Corps artillery are raging a fierce battle to reduce and hopefully eliminate the Russian penetration to the south and the east.
But between this battles, there is a long line of more than 100 Kms where nothing is happening. Are the Russians concentrating all their forces to take Belgorod and Volchansk? Or will they try to infiltrate the line and cut off the defenders at a given point?
To the date, German patrols are returning without reports...
01-12-2011, 08:12 AM,
Yes, the battle has resumed with a vengeance. As my friend has stated there are lots of empty spaces on the map. My own recon units are travelling long distances without encountering anything. The main battle remains in the North with a large sideshow in the south east.
01-18-2011, 10:24 AM,
February 10 1943.
A decisive phase of the battle has arrived.
The sky opened up, showing the full extent of the Russian Army.
Furious combat rages in three areas, with the mysterious vastness of the steppe in the middle.

Belgorod: As the Soviets stopped their advance east, the city garrison got aggressive and chased some Russians backwards. When this morning visibility improved and air reconnaissance showed up, the massive Soviet forces where revealed and the attacking elements of LSSAH and 27º Panzer quickly returned to their fortifications.

Volchansk: A real disaster. As the city was being evacuated, the Russians managed to destroy the bridge west of the positions and isolate almost ten thousands of the defenders of GD and the remnants of the initial Infantry Divisions.
Das Reich and half Grossdeutschland could get across the river, but the decision to evacuate the city was made too late, and that sealed the fate of the defenders. Now it is the tomb of two Infantry Divisions, and GD is maimed forever.

Yama: At least in the extreme south things go well for the Wehrmacht. The dangerous Russian penetration southwards was stopped cold by 3° and 17° Panzer Divisions, and with the reinforcement of 7° Panzer Division routed the enemy, and are now destroying the last points of resistance, avenging their comrades fallen in the north.
01-19-2011, 04:46 AM,
Great situation report Herr_Oberst. Unfortunately the news concerning the GD Division is not good. I suspect their loss will be difficult to offset. But knowing you if there is a way to lessen the impact of that defeat you will find it.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill