• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Flashing Sword of Retribution
10-17-2010, 12:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 08:52 AM by herr_oberst.)
RE: Flashing Sword of Retribution
On the first hours of 5 February the attack at Drovyschevo concluded with success, but the Panzer Divisions returned to their bases as the damage was done and they would not risk a defensive battle.
A day of relative tranquility followed, with the german units taking positions for the ensuing battles with no russians on sight.
To the end of the day the soviet armored spearhead is finally detected in the north, trying to cut off Das Reich north east of Volchansk.
An interesting night battle is going to develop in the open steppe!
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2010, 03:59 AM,
I sense a decisive battle is developing, Das Reich has decided to remain east of Volchansk and north of the main highway. Any attack towards Belgorod or Volchansk cannot proceed while they are sitting there. They have had plenty of opportunity to leave after their victory over two of my rifle divisions, but are unwilling, whether because of stubbornness or because they believe it is the right thing to do (time will tell). Some of my tank battallions have encountered an Hungarian Recon unit, whether this will be followed by more units or is just a bluff I don't know. They were accompanied by vehicles from the GD division. This was east of a tank screen designed to halt the progress of the Das Reich to the west. Unless Das Reich break through this screen they will be looking at fleeing over a river and stream to the north into thick forest, this will be difficult for their heavy armoured vehicles if not impossible in places.

A general point. My initial thoughts about better mobility were incorrect. After some initial success against weak infantry units the Germans have proved to be more mobile with many fully mechanized formations. A lot of my rifle divisions are on foot and progress is often painfully slow. Because of the large map it is difficult to rearrange things when certain groupings find themselves in trouble.

Russian artillery is very effective but slow to set up. I have learned, the hard way, that relatively small groupings of rifle divisions are prone to getting easily cut off and battered if not wiped out. The quality of many of the Russian units is very poor and in combination with a difficult supply situation this compounds their vulnerability. I am beginning to think that any Russian offenisve operation really needs good planning and a relatively large formation. This is not to say there is not a role of smaller groups. On such a large map there must be opportunities for smaller groups to go undetected. The Germans have a rail capacity that the Russians lack, and if I can damage some of this behind the enemy lines it will be to my advantage.

The south has gone quiet, I have no idea what they Germans are planning with the panzer divisions I encountered on my southern flank but I have a feeling I will find out.

All for now.
10-18-2010, 08:52 AM,
With the first lights of the morning of february 6 1943, the focal point of the battle is in the north.
Tank elements of five different Soviet Tank Corps have infiltrated the rearguard of Das Reich, intent of cutting off the whole Division. Meanwhile, a strong infantry and artillery attack is carried against the front and southern flank of that unit. The SS Panzers immediately counterattacked the russian armour while the still powerful infantry holds the human wave. At the same time, well rested elements of Grossdeutschland sealed the west flank of the enemy armored thrust. A big meeting engagement battle is developing.
More meaningful, strong russian forces, released by the pinning down of Das Reich, are running for the big price: Belgorod.
The center and south are quiet for now, but the german mobile reserves all over the operations area must decide now where to set up, and that decision will determine the results of the battles the Red Army is going to carry.
10-23-2010, 09:38 AM,
Another day of fighting ends in the Southern Front.

[Image: 2prcs4o.jpg]

The Soviet armored formations which tried to encircle Das Reich east of Volchansk were in their time trapped between Grossdeutschland infantry and the SS Panzers and destroyed, the germans wielding for the time being the "sword of revenge".
Nevertheless, the infantry assault (especially their Kathyushas) proved to costly for the defenders, and the Division is repositioning to move away from the range of the big guns, with another victory to celebrate, although the pinning down of Das Reich permitted the advance of the northern thrust of the Russian advance towards Belgorod.

Finally, the expected attack on Belgorod began, overrunning the poor Hungarian infantrymen on the city outskirts. Measures had been taken to protect this important point.

A most notable encounter occurred in the south. There is a big bend of the Dnepr pointing to the east (in orange in the map) where 11º Panzer Division was to be established, well protected by the river, to attack the Soviet rearguard and supply line whenever they attack Kharkov.
It seems that this place was selected too by a Russian Guards Motorized Division for infiltration -supposedly to kill Hitler when he arrives-
11º Panzer quickly surrounded and destroyed five Infantry Battalions of -I think- the Russian elite.
10-24-2010, 11:41 PM,
As 1200 hs of Februray 7 with an important visibility drop, the attack on Belgorod continues at a slow pace. The Hungarians are now aided by a German infantry division and the newly arrived 27º Panzer (thanks to the railway).
Das Reich is not pursued anymore and is resting and regaining strength.
In the road to Kharkov no Russians are detected, which is very strange.
11º Pz. finally destroyed the Soviet elite brigade in the Donetz Bend.
In the extreme south, as 17º Panzer Division arrived from the Caucasus and was relieving 3º Pz.Div. in their positions at Yama, a big Russian advance started. The lack of infantry demands both armored formations to act as defensive units to hold the line -a task unsuited for them-, but their artillery and nebelwerfers are taking a great toll on the advancing soviets.
The low visibility and the vast terrain to cover is making me nervous about Russian infiltration. The raid at the Donetz Bend showed the Russian capability to pass undetected, and the quietness of the central front suggest something nasty brewing in the Red Army...
10-25-2010, 04:21 AM,
I cant add much more at this stage, I'm still smarting at losing so many tank units east of Volchansk.

As Herr Oberst mentioned. The remnants of a Guards Division were sent to infiltrate west with the goal of killing Hitler (forlorn I know) and causing disruption behind enemy lines. Unfortunately, they walked straight into the middle of a panzer division and were wiped out. Not a good period for the Soviets. Soviet losses are much higher than the German losses at this stage but I have been lucky to receive some reinforcements, many of whom are fighting in the south to break past a German defensive line that is proving very costly, as mentioned. It is the 7th of February and visibility is appalling. The rivers have still not frozen and progress is slow on all fronts. Many of my tank formations have been ordered to rest and refit while the infantry plod on through the sweeping snow storms. The only time you see the enemy is when you smack into them face to face.

A fierce, but small, battle is waging North of Belgorod. The Hungarians have been bolstered by German troops and armour which has slowed progress considerably. I suspect Das Reich will be heading some where in this direction too as they have broken away from the battle east of Volchansk. It will be interesting to see how determined the Germans are to hold onto this major city.
10-26-2010, 03:54 AM,
Gentlemen, your AAR continues to be very interesting reading.

It appears the Germans mobility and quality has made quite a difference so far. Herr Oberst has been able to counter Soviet thrusts by getting his panzers into fights, winning them and then quickly extracting them.

It still feels like the Soviets have something up their sleaves.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill
10-26-2010, 09:28 AM,
February 7 2000 hs.
The battle of Belgorod is raging. The russians cleverly attacked the city from the north, where it has not the protection of the river. The Hungarian infantry retreated to the city, held by 168º Infanterie Division (reinforced). The flank to the east is covered by 27º Panzer Division, now retreating under great pressure.
Leibstandarte (now fully rested and reinforced) travelled by rail and arrived to the city, crossed the Dniepr to the east and is attacking the base of the Soviet assault. Finally a big battle has developed.

[Image: 2agm1cy.jpg]

The other big battle continues in the extreme south, with 3º and 17º Panzer Divisions are holding the line against a massive attack, causing great losses on the attackers.

The rest of the front in somewhat quiet, but russian probes are detected in various places, causing concern on the German High Command.
In the outskirts of Volchansk and Slaviansk the Enemy is testing the defenses, but some formations could have passed undetected trough the vast front under the cover of the awful weather. Heavy reconnaissance is conducted at all the length of the Dniepr, and the scarce reserves are put on alert.
In this Campaign I discovered the extreme importance of always having available strategical and tactical mobile reserves. Without them I should have already lost the entire front.
11-03-2010, 10:42 AM,
February 8 1800 hs.
A day of hard defensive fighting ends on the Belgorod, Volchansk and the south Fronts.
The Enemy is determined to capture the northern cities, keeping a great pressure on the defenders, but we managed to inflict heavy casualties on the advancing Russians.
The flanking attack of LSSAH had to be called off because there was too big a danger of being cut off, with only one bridge connecting them to the German lines. Nevertheless, I think it diverted some Soviet units relieving the pressure on the 27º Panzer and also caused some Russian artillery to embark their trucks and flight, which is good given their poor setup speed. Now LSSAH crossed the river, blew up the bridge, and is engrossing the Belgorod garrison.

The attack on Slaviansk ceased, but the southern penetration was getting dangerous, so an attack was conducted by 3º and 17º Panzer Divisions, advancing only a couple of miles but inflicting considerable losses on the Russians, who were apparently heading south.

The poor visibility conditions that lasted all day denied the use of the useful Luftwaffe and restrained the view of my patrolling units.

At dusk, the Soviets are pausing their attack, but the Germans are not giving up terrain anymore and the positions are very close, with very little no-man´s land, so when the first lights of 9 february arrive all the hell will break loose!
11-04-2010, 06:34 AM,
Exciting stuff gentlemen. Very much enjoying the read.