• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Breakdown Question
09-24-2010, 02:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2010, 02:41 AM by Skryabin.)
c_Question Mark  Breakdown Question
Generals!

There is a Combine/Breakdown button, but how do you find out which unit you can breakdown? Is there a place in unit information area you can learn it?

Dmitriy
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2010, 04:04 AM,
RE: Breakdown Question
If a unit can break down, it will have +++ in the unit box - I don't have the game in front of me to describe exactly where, but it is pretty obvious.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-24-2010, 04:18 AM,
Thank you, Rick!

Dmitriy
09-24-2010, 04:35 AM,
And to clarify one part of it, the +++ only shows for the combined unit, the individual units don't show it, I believe.

Rick
09-24-2010, 04:55 AM,
I see. And if one unit is disrupted and another one is in a good shape, how does it apply to the combined unit when you combine those two?

Dmitriy
09-24-2010, 05:23 AM,
It gets the worst of all ratings that can vary -disrupted/broken status, fatigue, low ammo/fuel.

So it is a generally bad idea to combine these component units when one is good shape and one isn't as the combined unit will be in the worse condition - but certain situations might be best to do so. I have combined units like this when one unit is down to 7 men or something and the other is nearly full strength, to prevent the permanent loss of the one unit, but only a couple of times ever.

Rick
09-24-2010, 05:23 AM,
A combined unit will reflect all the worst characteristics of any and all of the sub-units combined: Highest fatigue, disruption, fewest MPs, low ammo/fuel, etc.

Regards,
Billie
09-24-2010, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2010, 05:35 AM by alaric99x.)
The combined unit will be disrupted. If the individual units have any fatigue then the combined unit will also have the highest fatigue level of any of the individual units. The same situation applies to low ammo and low fuel status, if any of the uncombined units have that then the combined unit will also have it. For this reason it's best to find all uncombined units at the start of a scenario and plan to combine them before they gain a lot of fatigue, low ammo/fuel or become disrupted.

I always try to combine all possible units at the start of any scenario because units that are not combined gain greater fatigue from enemy fire. You also previously asked about bridging and combined units have a better chance of successfully building a bridge. Of course, it's not always possible to combine all your units if you're in a situation where you have a large area of front to cover and some units have to remain uncombined in order not to leave gaps.
---> I was still typing while Ricky and Buffaloes posted, so I ended up repeating some of what they wrote.
09-24-2010, 09:31 AM,
(09-24-2010, 05:31 AM)alaric99x Wrote: ---> I was still typing while Ricky and Buffaloes posted, so I ended up repeating some of what they wrote.
It's ok, thak you! These answers help me a lot!

cheers
Dmitriy
09-24-2010, 10:55 PM,
(09-24-2010, 05:23 AM)Ricky B Wrote: It gets the worst of all ratings that can vary -disrupted/broken status, fatigue, low ammo/fuel.

So it is a generally bad idea to combine these component units when one is good shape and one isn't as the combined unit will be in the worse condition - but certain situations might be best to do so. I have combined units like this when one unit is down to 7 men or something and the other is nearly full strength, to prevent the permanent loss of the one unit, but only a couple of times ever.

Rick

In the case where you combine a unit with just 7 men with a nearly full strength company.... what happens when you break the unit into its components again? Does the game remember that the original unit only had 7 men, or does it try to split the total among the subordinate units?

Larry