• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to PBEM Guide?
09-23-2010, 05:49 AM,
How to PBEM Guide?
I'm trying to help a boot camper through some problems we are having with starting a PBEM game. I've set up the game correctly but am unsure whether he understands the process in opening the file and setting his password. I believe it is his first game and he does speak a different language so I'm looking for anything to help guide him.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't there a "How to PBEM" article here at the Blitz where it showed one (with graphics and such) how to set up a PBEM game? I swear I saw one way back before the website change but I be darned if I can find it.
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2010, 06:55 AM,
RE: How to PBEM Guide?
(09-23-2010, 05:49 AM)enigma6584 Wrote: Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't there a "How to PBEM" article here at the Blitz where it showed one (with graphics and such) how to set up a PBEM game? I swear I saw one way back before the website change but I be darned if I can find it.
Your memory is correct an article did exist at the old site bit i am afraid i missed it out when i brought all the OpS articles to the new site :hissy: so maybe i should create a new one at some point. :chin:

Not really sure what you can do to help your opponent, there is a section in the manual about PBEM but it is not very detailed. :(
09-23-2010, 11:12 AM,
(09-23-2010, 06:55 AM)Foul. Wrote:
(09-23-2010, 05:49 AM)enigma6584 Wrote: Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't there a "How to PBEM" article here at the Blitz where it showed one (with graphics and such) how to set up a PBEM game? I swear I saw one way back before the website change but I be darned if I can find it.
Your memory is correct an article did exist at the old site bit i am afraid i missed it out when i brought all the OpS articles to the new site :hissy: so maybe i should create a new one at some point. :chin:

Not really sure what you can do to help your opponent, there is a section in the manual about PBEM but it is not very detailed. :(

Being just enough old-school to prefer hard copies to electronic images, I happened to print out the lost article in question a couple of years ago and added it to my PzC loose-leaf binder. I just finished dragging it out and scanning it into a .pdf file that seems to be of usable quality.

I'll try to attach it here, but be forewarned, my posting skills are not great. I'll also entertain any advice about how to further circulate the file with its very good step-by-step instructions.

Regards,
Billie

PS: Well, the file was deemed too large to attach, so I'll definitely need some advice about sharing this if anyone is interested.
09-23-2010, 12:40 PM,
Well he seems to be doing the right thing with respect to the file and opening up the PBEM but he keeps getting an error message so it is not his understanding or lack there-of. The file may be corrupted so I guess we'll pursue another direction.

Buffaloes, I think that is a great idea to share that document. It was a great article back then and it would be a great article now for those new to the simulation.
09-23-2010, 01:14 PM,
maybe reason he or you is getting error message you both need to have latest updates from HPS for the game your playing that usually does the trick.
09-23-2010, 03:06 PM,
Yeah, I've already asked him and he said he has latest updates/patch. I was wondering...if we are playing an alternative mission from Volcano Man...we both need to have that mission in our game folders...correct? Or doesn't it matter as long as just one, the one who sets up the game has the mission.
09-23-2010, 04:14 PM,
(09-23-2010, 11:12 AM)Buffaloes Wrote: Being just enough old-school to prefer hard copies to electronic images, I happened to print out the lost article in question a couple of years ago and added it to my PzC loose-leaf binder. I just finished dragging it out and scanning it into a .pdf file that seems to be of usable quality.

I'll try to attach it here, but be forewarned, my posting skills are not great. I'll also entertain any advice about how to further circulate the file with its very good step-by-step instructions.

Regards,
Billie

PS: Well, the file was deemed too large to attach, so I'll definitely need some advice about sharing this if anyone is interested.
Billie,
How big is the .pdf file? I am wondering if you can email it to me and i might be about to place it in the articles section?

My email is on the chain of command page. ;)
09-23-2010, 10:45 PM,
(09-23-2010, 03:06 PM)enigma6584 Wrote: Yeah, I've already asked him and he said he has latest updates/patch. I was wondering...if we are playing an alternative mission from Volcano Man...we both need to have that mission in our game folders...correct? Or doesn't it matter as long as just one, the one who sets up the game has the mission.

Only one, the player who starts it, has to have the scenario itself, but there is an OOB file and PDT that both players must have or there will be an error. So both players really need to install the VM scenario pack as that is the easiest way to get the files needed.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-24-2010, 03:29 AM,
(09-23-2010, 04:14 PM)Foul. Wrote:
(09-23-2010, 11:12 AM)Buffaloes Wrote: Being just enough old-school to prefer hard copies to electronic images, I happened to print out the lost article in question a couple of years ago and added it to my PzC loose-leaf binder. I just finished dragging it out and scanning it into a .pdf file that seems to be of usable quality.

Regards,
Billie

Billie,
How big is the .pdf file? I am wondering if you can email it to me and i might be about to place it in the articles section?

My email is on the chain of command page. ;)

Foul,

I've just finished mailing you the 18.7 MB How to PBEM guide.pdf file. Apparently it's nearly twice the size the site here limits me to. Hope it proves of use to someone(s) somewhere.

Regards,
Billie
09-24-2010, 06:33 AM,
(09-24-2010, 03:29 AM)Buffaloes Wrote: Foul,

I've just finished mailing you the 18.7 MB How to PBEM guide.pdf file. Apparently it's nearly twice the size the site here limits me to. Hope it proves of use to someone(s) somewhere.

Regards,
Billie

Got it, thank you. ;)