• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Volcano Man updates available for downloading
08-19-2010, 07:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2010, 12:44 PM by Philippe.)
Volcano Man updates available for downloading
Just a heads-up.

Volcano Man has just posted 18 updates to his site.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2010, 05:39 AM,
RE: Volcano Man updates available for downloading
I am sure lots of you have this email, but here it is anyway...

Hello all, Another year, another full PzC_Alt pack update. It is hard to believe that another year already went by since the last one. In any case, head over to vmods.com and you will find the following PzC_Alt packs updated today: Budapest '45, Bulge '44, Compass '40 (E42 expansion),El Alamein '42, France '40, Kharkov '42, Korsun '44, Kursk '43, Market Garden '44, Minsk '44, Moscow '41, Normandy '44, Salerno '43, Sealion '40, Sicily '43, Smolensk '41, Stalingrad '42, Tobruk '41
As for the specific changes, they are as follows: ///////////////////////// IN ALL UPDATES: -Standardized the Mud Condition movement modifier values in the PDT files to be more severe on mechanized units, basically reducing their mobility in Mud so that the penalty for Mud movement is 2x the Soft condition value, rather than the old 1.5x the Soft condition value. NOTE: The intent is to further limit mechanized movement in Mud conditions so that anything other than tracked vehicles are severely limited in such an environment to the point that the user voluntarily limits the movement of tracked units in order to keep up with the rest of his slower moving forces (especially wheeled vehicles). -Greatly edited the PDT movement values, building on the changes made in previous versions. There is now a standardized approach to mechanized movement in urban terrain. The approach is that any mechanized unit must pay a large amount of MPs to move between urban hexes, so that it makes it impractical to enter cities with mechanized units unless you do so by using Travel Mode movement along roads. This means that city fighting will be very time consuming and costly to mechanized units, since they will be bogged down when moving from hex to hex, where as regular infantry (foot units) can move quite quickly in such environments. This goes a long way to discouraging city fighting with mechanized and motorized units which is an improvement over the old way, which practically encouraged such unrealistic behavior. Additional changes to these _Alt scenario packs are as follows: ----------------

Budapest '45: v.VII -Corrected the missing bridge flag on the Russian / Russian-Guards "44 Engineer Bn" units. -Raised the Russian artillery setup probability from 60% to 70% in the 1944 and 1945 titles. -The campaign scenarios have been adjusted from user feedback so that the northern area of the Axis lines (those opposite the attack of the Russian 6th GTC) can put up a more historical level of resistance. This was done by raising the quality of the two German VG divisions there (the 211th and 357th) from D to C quality, and by raising the quality of the panzer regiment and it's Aufk units in the 20th Panzer Division from B to A quality. Also, the two VG divisions are released on the 0600 turn of JAN 6, which prevents them from becoming easy pickings for the 6th GTC. Thanks to "SchDerGrosse" for assistance in this area. ------------

Bulge '44: v.XXII -Thanks to the efforts of "Tanker Mike", more accurate German strengths are now reflected from Dugdale's latest research. -Corrected the M36 Jackson TD defense ratings. -------------

Compass '40 (E42 expansion): v.XI -Instituted McNamara database version 2.2. In this version artillery hard attack ratings have now been adjusted slightly in a more logical manner (and more consistent with McNamara's values). Guns of 150mm (that are not siege and pseudo siege guns) have a hard attack of 5 instead of a mix of 4 and 5. -Improved the amount of guns (turrets) on some naval units. -Corrected PDT file Travel Mode costs on rail hex sides. -Adjusted bridge defense strengths to be a more realistic value (so as to not allow a guaranteed demolition in every case). Keep in mind that the greater the engineer’s assault rating and the larger the engineer unit, the more successful it will be at bridge demolition. Primary bridges are better built than secondary and foot bridges so they will be harder to demolish. -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex (this does not apply to the Beda Fomm scenario, which has its own unique stacking limits). -Adjusted various artillery related PDT values. -Improved the situation around Bardia and Tobruk in the Compass '40 campaign scenario. ----------------

El Alamein '42 v.IX -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex. -Improved the amount of guns (turrets) on some naval units. -Adjusted various artillery related PDT values. -Corrected various PDT file references (the early scenarios were using the wrong PDT file, they were using the late 2nd Alamein PDT file) -Reduced the hard attack range of the Sherman and Grant (in only the desert titles because they use a Range Modifier of 1) from 2 hexes to 1 hex. As mentioned, this was done because the Range Modifier of 1 makes them too powerful at two hexes, because long range fire is not reduced in effectiveness. Tactically, these Allied tanks must be forced to close ground to inflict losses on enemy tanks, not stand off to achieve this result because this would be the direct opposite of what was historically the case. On the other hand, the Germans preferred, were well equipped and trained to be effective at standoff engagement ranges with their high velocity guns on the Panzer IVf2 and their AT guns, so they are still allowed to fire at greater than two hexes. In other words, since long range fire is not penalized in the desert, then only the truly effective long range guns (ie. the guns that were specifically designed to destroy enemy vehicles at long range) are allowed to fire at a target that is not adjacent. ----------------

France '40 v.X -Instituted McNamara database version 2.2. In this version artillery hard attack ratings have now been adjusted slightly in a more logical manner (and more consistent with McNamara's values). Guns of 150mm (that are not siege and pseudo siege guns) have a hard attack of 5 instead of a mix of 4 and 5. -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex. -Adjusted various artillery related PDT values. -Corrected German motorized artillery units to be type: Motorized instead of type: Soft Halftrack. -Greatly adjusted the #0515_01_Stonne_Alt scenario based on H2H testing feedback and from additional research. -Added a unit component and artwork for German Sturm Pioneer units (for Sturm.Pio.Btl.43 in IR.Grossdeutschland). -Corrected the French Panhard armored car defense ratings. ----------------

Kharkov '42 v.IX -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex. -Adjusted various artillery related PDT values. ----------------

Korsun '44 -added several new unit portrait images -corrected an air recon unit bug in the _Alt scenarios -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex. -Adjusted various artillery related PDT values. *see Korsun44 Alternate Campaign changes Part 2.doc for more changes* ----------------

Market Garden '44 v.IX -Corrected PDT file Travel Mode costs on rail hex sides. -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex. -Adjusted various artillery related PDT values. -The Arnhem area has been heavily edited to produce more historical results (regarding the British 1st Airborne Division and the ability of the 1st Para Bde to reach Arnhem on the first day). Thanks to "Foul" for assistance in this area. -Corrected A30 Challenger tank ratings. ----------------

Minsk '44 v.XV -Raised the Russian artillery setup probability from 60% to 70% in the 1944 and 1945 titles. ----------------

Moscow '41 v.II -Lowered German replacement rates to 1% in the winter campaign because of their poor logistical situation. -In the Typhoon campaign, created a KG organization under the SS Das Reich Division containing the forces that were operating semi-independently to the north of the division. ----------------

Normandy '44 v.XXI -Improved the portrait of the British Queen Elizabeth class BB. -Corrected the M36 Jackson TD defense ratings. ----------------Salerno '43 v.V -Added portraits for the Queen Elizabeth and Nelson class BB. Also, created unique components for both in order to properly represent their firepower instead of having them generically lumped into "Naval Hvy" component which gave them the firepower of a cruiser. -Improved the number of guns (turrets) on all naval units to make them more accurately represented. -Corrected an error with the assault rating of the German 37mm AT gun units in Crete_Alt. ----------

Sicily '43 v.VI -Adjusted bridge defense strengths to be a more realistic value (so as to not allow a guaranteed demolition in every case). Keep in mind that the greater the engineer’s assault rating and the larger the engineer unit, the more successful it will be at bridge demolition. Primary bridges are better built than secondary and foot bridges so they will be harder to demolish. -Corrected PDT file Travel Mode costs on rail hex sides. -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex. -Adjusted naval units to have more realistic amount of guns (turrets). -Adjusted various artillery related PDT values. -Adjusted the digging in % to be consistent with Salerno / Anzio campaigns (20% instead of 30%). ----------------

Smolensk '41 v.V -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex. -Improved the Russian NKVD unit portrait flag. -Added missing Russian 22nd Army HQ to the S41_Alt campaign scenario. -Corrected various artillery setup and counter battery PDT values to be more consistent to other PzC_Alts for both Axis and Allies. -Corrected the quality of the (then) newly formed 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th Panzer Divisions to be B quality, instead of A quality. ----------------

Tobruk '41 v.X -Standardized the stacking limits in the PDT files to be 350(road)/1400(non-road). Previously the non-road stacking limit was 1300, which was an odd number which restricted some infantry battalions from stacking in one hex. -Adjusted various artillery related PDT values. -Altered the OOB structure so that supply units (only) can be highlighted with the Highlight Organization feature. ----------------

That is all. Are you still reading this? Go out there and download the update and get down to business of playing! ENJOY!!!
08-21-2010, 02:45 AM,
I keep getting compressed file invalid or corrupted. I downloaded all of them to a file where I keep each title with it's own scenarios and updates, then extract from there to the actual title. When I went to extract to each title, I got that message. I then went to open instead of extract to possibly copy or cut and paste and got that message. I then went back to his site and tried to open the file there and got same message. Any ideas?
08-21-2010, 03:51 AM,
(08-21-2010, 02:45 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I keep getting compressed file invalid or corrupted. I downloaded all of them to a file where I keep each title with it's own scenarios and updates, then extract from there to the actual title. When I went to extract to each title, I got that message. I then went to open instead of extract to possibly copy or cut and paste and got that message. I then went back to his site and tried to open the file there and got same message. Any ideas?
Mark,
Have you tried to download the update by clicking on the portrait rather than the "download" button? Seems strange but this does work for some...;)
[Image: 507d02caafVmods.JPG]
08-21-2010, 10:25 AM,
(08-21-2010, 03:51 AM)Foul. Wrote:
(08-21-2010, 02:45 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I keep getting compressed file invalid or corrupted. I downloaded all of them to a file where I keep each title with it's own scenarios and updates, then extract from there to the actual title. When I went to extract to each title, I got that message. I then went to open instead of extract to possibly copy or cut and paste and got that message. I then went back to his site and tried to open the file there and got same message. Any ideas?
Mark,
Have you tried to download the update by clicking on the portrait rather than the "download" button? Seems strange but this does work for some...;)
[Image: 507d02caafVmods.JPG]

That does help. Also, for some reason WinRAR seems to extract the files better than just plain WinZip.
08-21-2010, 11:35 AM,
Clicking on the portrait worked. Big Grin Never even crossed my mind to try that. <slaps forehead>
08-21-2010, 11:40 AM,
Yeah, clicking the portrait bypassing the file manager on the site. If it works without clicking the portrait then I ask that people keep downloading it with the link (because it provides me nice statistical info on what is popular and what is not), but if it doesn't work then clicking the portrait provides a nice backdoor, so to speak.
Send this user an email
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM,
Just wanted to say "Thanks" again Ed for all the hard work & effort that you continue to put into the PzC/MC series.:)
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
08-21-2010, 06:59 PM,
(08-21-2010, 12:14 PM)Gasbag Wrote: Just wanted to say "Thanks" again Ed for all the hard work & effort that you continue to put into the PzC/MC series.:)
I thanked Ed at VMods forum, but i wanted to add my thanks here also, a great ongoing project.....:)
08-23-2010, 04:46 AM,
Many thanks from Chuck C., also.

Any plans to update Rzhev '42? Just wondering.