• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France 1914 Problem
08-18-2010, 03:22 AM,
RE: France 1914 Problem
It only handles units that can move - deployed MGs and arty can't move and so they are skipped - is that what you mean? It does make handling unfired units a bit tougher but there are other ways to find them - highlight units that have expended movement points and only those close to front line that haven't expended anything can be looked at.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2010, 04:20 AM,
I found HPS support email address, sent them the file so I may have an explanation soon.
08-18-2010, 04:24 AM,
I imagine Ed will also post here to give his POV. Big Grin
08-18-2010, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2010, 07:23 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well, to be honest I never use the next unit feature. Maybe I am in the minority on that, but I use the highlight expended movement points feature to show me where the units are that I have not expended MPs (fired) yet, and then I go from there.

If I am not mistaken though, the "next unit" feature is intended to be used to take you to the next unit that is able to move, which still has MPs remaining to do so (or hasn't moved yet - I cannot remember). As Rick says, it skips the MG and field gun units because when they are deployed, they are essentially artillery units and it is showing you the units that are able to move. Some might want it to take them to these deployed non-movable units, but then that would also result in the "next unit" feature taking them to all the deployed artillery units as well and I don't think that is what the feature was intended for. In short, I don't see a change being made here. Billk1, try using the highlight units that haven't expended their MPs feature (the top menu bar icon of a wheel) after you have moved all your mobile units and that will probably accomplish what you are after?
Send this user an email
08-18-2010, 08:25 AM,
I agree, using both toolbar buttons would cover the job! Big Grin

I believe the reason i have not had an issue with F14 while using the "next unit" feature is that i tend to fire most of my ranged field gun/MG units at the start of the turn to either disrupt my opponents units or if they are already disrupted wear them down, so i have not found this an issue. ;)

The bottom line is that thanks to the generous toolbar features you can work round this issue.
08-18-2010, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2010, 08:45 AM by Volcano Man.)
Right, but also I am not so sure it is much of an "issue" per se, it is more of a technicality that all MG and Field gun units are classified as artillery because they are "Towed Guns". If someone can convince me that it is not behaving in a similar way in PzC and MC then I will pass the issue up.

It would be tough to separate the two, but it is no different really than all the AT Guns and artillery in PzC that also do not show up with "next unit" feature (unless I am mistaken). But then again, as you eluded to, that is also why we have a plethora of buttons on the toolbar. Big Grin
Send this user an email
08-18-2010, 09:05 AM,
(08-18-2010, 08:44 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Right, but also I am not so sure it is much of an "issue" per se,

Agreed, wrong turn of phrase :rolleyes:, the feature does indeed work just the same as it does in PzC titles.
08-18-2010, 09:10 PM,
Well. what Volcano Man says as well of a couple of others all makes sense too me. Problem is I have already sent the file to HPS support and they in turn have sent it to John Tiller, I didn't man to cause HPS this added work as I know they are more than likely aleady busy.

Next time I suspect a problem I will wait until everyone has chimmed in here before going further up the ladder.
08-21-2010, 06:02 AM,
For your info guys here is the response I received from Rich at HPS.

"It's skipping units that have to be in Travel Mode or Rail Mode before they move. Actually always has, but just now reported. So I've changed it to only skip Fixed units and units with no movement allowance."

This will be included with the next update, though not sure when that will be at this point.

A quick response from them is normal, you can't beat that for support.
08-21-2010, 06:33 AM,
Yup, can't beat it......:bow: