• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sighting Question
08-13-2010, 03:47 PM,
RE: Sighting Question
Quote:Try talking to a Scot no one understands what the hell they are saying....ducks for cover!

The trick is for either or both of you to have a few beers somehow it all makes sense then, how I have absolutly no idea.
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2010, 04:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2010, 04:27 PM by Gila.)
(08-13-2010, 03:47 PM)Imp Wrote:
Quote:Try talking to a Scot no one understands what the hell they are saying....ducks for cover!

The trick is for either or both of you to have a few beers somehow it all makes sense then, how I have absolutly no idea.

Then it's a comman language when drinking i suppose:) i once taxied a Scot from L.A airport to laguna beach.,70 miles,he talked all the way,i didn't understand even half what he said;)
No tip either.
08-14-2010, 01:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2010, 01:10 AM by Walrus.)
No tip either.

hahahahahahahha...of course not, as a Kiwi Scottish...I approve :whis:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
08-25-2010, 11:58 PM,
I did business for a long time with a Scott. We had never meet, working things out by Phone or Fax (pre-internet days). Anyway, My tax dude found a loophole that let me bring him over for business and put him up in a little style.
At first he didn't want to come, until I explained the Uncle Sam was going to pick up the tab, which we both thought made it worth doing even if there was no other reason.
So I had him picked up at the airport and meet him at the hotel. We got along pretty well, so I invited him to a ball game the next day. He had never seen a baseball game and knew nothing about it, although he was a rabid cricket fan.
So we got to the game and took our seats (company box) behind the dougout along the first base line, got a really terrible beer (tradition, you know. Nothing potable is sold at a baseball game. I suspect their is some sort of rule about that) and I started 'splainin (explaining, in English) the game. I had just got past hitting the ball and running the bases when the first batter hit a sharp grounder thru the left side hole. He took off running and my Scottish bud jumped up and screamed "Run like Hell, mon, run like bloody 'ell". Everybody looked, but that was OK since he was obviously having a good time. It was either that or he LIKED National Bohemian, which is unlikely enough to classify as impossible.
Batter was safe at first so I explained how he now became a runner. Next batter drew a walk and started to trot down to first. My Scottish guest jumped up and screamed "Run like Hell, mon, run like bloody 'ell". Everybody in the stadium looked, so I quickly 'splained that he got to walk because he had 4 balls. So he screamed even louder "Walk with PRIDE Man, walk with pride.
It went downhill from there.
08-26-2010, 12:42 AM,
hahahahaha...that's very good.

Walk with PRIDE Mon!
ha! Big Grin
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
08-26-2010, 06:42 AM,
(08-12-2010, 11:05 AM)low_bidder Wrote: "Once the target unit is spotted rules you guys talk about shouldnt play any role."

In SP "spotted" means you are calling arty on it. It doesn't mean 'seen' or that you can see it, although you do have to see it to be able to spot it. If that isn't clear, then join the club.
Meanwhile, I think the question was why can't you 'see' a target when you have LOS to it? Or at least that is the question I was answering. Having LOS to a hex doesn't mean you see any enemy units in that hex. Sometimes you can see 1 of them and not others.Target size and suppression can produce a nasty surprise sometimes.
One thing you can do is 'z' key the hex you suspect holds the unit firing at you. It's best to do so from a different unit. Sometimes that 'z' key will get enough suppression on the shooter to have it suddenly appear. Then you can service it in a normal manner.

sorry to say that, but you just confuse people with that post. And it is not the question of language I am afraid.

quote :
Meanwhile, I think the question was why can't you 'see' a target when you have LOS to it? Or at least that is the question I was answering.

That means you must have been answering question from some other thread.
Or I am in a wrong thread...
The question was why you cant shoot the target you can see. To put it simple.
Think first, fight afterwards - the soldier's art
08-27-2010, 04:10 AM,
"The question was why you cant shoot the target you can see. To put it simple. "

Out of shots
Out of the right type of ammo
Retreating or routed
Out of range
The AI doesn't like you (joke, J_O_K_E, joke)
That weapon slot is turned off ( there is an asterisk there on the main screen in the shots left data field)

Or some other reason I have forgotten.
Walk the cat back. To shoot at any target you need an LOS, shots left and the right kind of ammo. Just because you can see the target doesn't mean you have LOS from your shooter. The way to tell that is looking at the targets line. If it has 0 instead of a whole number then THAT shooter doesn't have LOS.
Now the shooter might have LOS to the hex and not LOS to the target, I don't recall experiencing that, but the fog of war thingie make anything possible. Ever get a critical hit of +2 with your weapons penetration of 9 for a total of 11 on an armor of 3 and have the shot bounce? Then the target op fires and blows a penetration 4 round thru your front armor of 9? Shit happens. Only it's called fog of war in SP.
I don't particularly like it but I'm used to strange stuff happening in SP. I just hope it happens to the other guy and not me. Although in the end it all balances out. I hope.....
08-27-2010, 09:24 PM,
(08-27-2010, 04:10 AM)low_bidder Wrote: Ever get a critical hit of +2 with your weapons penetration of 9 for a total of 11 on an armor of 3 and have the shot bounce?

Never in fact. God of War is on my side, methinks.
Think first, fight afterwards - the soldier's art
08-28-2010, 08:53 AM,
Massive overpenetrations can sometimes pass straight through, not sure this is modeled but does seem to happen sometimes.
Pretty sure WW2 ammo problems are modeled though like Brit ammo shattering if over penetrates. Appologies if wrong seem to remember it was done based on reports from the dessert where it was noticed.
08-29-2010, 03:01 PM,
I think the game uses RHA. The Germans went to face hardened armor at some point during '41, IIRC. I vaguely remember Lorrin Bird's (Byrd?) book mentioning something about face hardened armor causing the Brits 2 LBr AP shells to shatter. Vaguely. That is why the APBC round was developed. The ballistic cap was softer then the AP round and it kept the AP round from breaking up . So of course the Germans figured it out and stopped doing face hardened armor, since that added another step to building a tank, which slowed things down. When surrounded and outnumbered less time to build tanks is a gooooood thing.
Imp, I finally got MBT to work in Umbutu. I did the DL version. Now I just have to duplicate it with the CD and I'll be ready to get back into action. By the end of September if all goes well. Bunch of real life things to deal with. Politics.