• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sighting Question
08-10-2010, 12:32 PM,
RE: Sighting Question
Yes, I agree that the 'invisible' dust thing does happen.
I mostly see it when using MGs at the edge of LOS.
You get one shot away and then suddenly, though the target is still 'visible' on the map, I cannot get it into my MGs LOS.

I wonder if that is what was happening to Chipmunk.

Good responses there chaps Big Grin
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2010, 04:56 AM,
Thanks a lot for all the answers guys, I've definitely learned a lot about the game. About the dust thing, I'm not sure as I don't remember firing at the unit at all. Unfortunately I didn't save the game at that point so I can't be sure. If it happens again will save it and post to this thread.
08-11-2010, 08:24 AM,
Hello Chipmunk,

another thing to remember in ww2/mbt.. once a unit is spotted it stays on the map whether you have LOS to it or not..

example: you are shooting at a tank, and the target shoots off the smoke dispenser to break your attack.. next turn, if your opponent does not move from the hex, that tank will still be visible behind the smoke screen and you can't direct fire at it. If you can't see it, then your opponent has moved someplace else w/o being spotted - and you just ahve to hunt them down again..

Greybeard
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM,
...which is why it is always worth moving one hex with a unit you think has been spotted...even moving one hex and then back to the original hex...at least they have to 'find' you again eh!

Good luck!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
08-12-2010, 06:49 AM,
(08-11-2010, 08:24 AM)Greybeard Wrote: Hello Chipmunk,

another thing to remember in ww2/mbt.. once a unit is spotted it stays on the map whether you have LOS to it or not..

example: you are shooting at a tank, and the target shoots off the smoke dispenser to break your attack.. next turn, if your opponent does not move from the hex, that tank will still be visible behind the smoke screen and you can't direct fire at it. If you can't see it, then your opponent has moved someplace else w/o being spotted - and you just ahve to hunt them down again..

Greybeard

Didn't know how that worked so thanks for the explanation!! Thought it was some random factor that affected if units kept being spotted or disappeared again.. Big Grin In my last game Jason taught me how to set rally hexes. Seems like I missed half the basics..
08-12-2010, 11:05 AM,
"Once the target unit is spotted rules you guys talk about shouldnt play any role."

In SP "spotted" means you are calling arty on it. It doesn't mean 'seen' or that you can see it, although you do have to see it to be able to spot it. If that isn't clear, then join the club.
Meanwhile, I think the question was why can't you 'see' a target when you have LOS to it? Or at least that is the question I was answering. Having LOS to a hex doesn't mean you see any enemy units in that hex. Sometimes you can see 1 of them and not others.Target size and suppression can produce a nasty surprise sometimes.
One thing you can do is 'z' key the hex you suspect holds the unit firing at you. It's best to do so from a different unit. Sometimes that 'z' key will get enough suppression on the shooter to have it suddenly appear. Then you can service it in a normal manner.
08-12-2010, 11:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2010, 12:06 AM by Imp.)
Quote:"Once the target unit is spotted rules you guys talk about shouldnt play any role."

Lets not argue semantics its an English speaking site:stir:

Spotted verb some results.
to detect or recognize; locate or identify by seeing
to determine (a location) precisely on either the ground or a map.
to observe (the results of gunfire at or near a target) for the purpose of correcting aim.

We will assume people are capable of realising from the context which it was refering to & that it was not a reference to the fact the tank was covered in spots.

Quote:I think the question was why can't you 'see' a target when you have LOS to it? Or at least that is the question I was answering.
The question was why the unit could fire at him when that unit could not see the hex let alone the unit.

To stop confusion in your first post your comments about experience are wrong as far as I know.
Experince plays absolutly no part in the hexes you can see, it does effect the units capability however to find undetected units in said hexes.
So everybody with the same vision rating sees the same but more experienced units can recognise & hence locate hidden units easier & indeed can hide better than them in the first place to.

To clarify the part about global visibility.
The higher it is the more bright the light is the easy way to think of it so solid objects still block but hinderances become less so the higher the visibility.
This is why LOS changes at diffrent global visibility ratings.
You can see through more woods or over more hinderance hexes like orchards fields high grass or smoke at higher levels than at lower ones
It has nothing to do with experience or suppresion.
08-13-2010, 02:07 AM,
A good portion of us speak Globish, not English. I have sometimes hard time understanding you English speaking people. Keep it simple if you want to be understood by everyone.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM,
"Experince plays absolutly no part in the hexes you can see, it does effect the units capability however to find undetected units in said hexes."

I thought that was what I said. My bad.
I like that Globish. I speak American which is NOT the same as English. Just ask any Englishman. I do find it amusing that more English is spoken in China then England.
English was invented so that Norman men-at-arms could pick up Anglo-Saxon bar maids. It has gone down hill from there. Being a very adaptable language, I suspect the Chinese will end up making English a dialect over the next century or so. Globish would be a good name for that version.
Back on topic, I got into a fuss with the SP guys about a decade ago over the spotting thingie. They use the verb in a completely non-standard way. As I was told, it's their football and if I don't like the rules, I don't have to play.
The thread is here somewhere. Unless it got lost in an interface change.
08-13-2010, 01:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2010, 02:20 PM by Gila.)
I should have said in my earlier post,it was purely theory,not based on fact or test.
Just a hunch,take it as nothing more,friends.

I speak "American english" not proper queens English there is a huge difference among anglo languages also,,
Try talking to a Scot no one understands what the hell they are saying....ducks for cover!
:whis: