• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Eagle's Strike Graphics and Sound MODs
08-02-2010, 11:14 PM,
Eagle's Strike Graphics and Sound MODs
Gents,

IronX has just released a very nice graphics and sound mod for Eagle's Strike. Really great looking counters, improved graphics and sounds. Head on over to his site or Task Force Echo Four to pick it up.

Good stuff!

A

[Image: 3ac63b0967IronX.JPG]
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2010, 02:11 AM,
RE: Eagle's Strike Graphics and Sound MODs
Wow, they really are impressive graphics.

Surprisingly, my favorite aspect is the objective hexes. They aren't pretty, in fact they sort of clash with the overall scheme, however they stand out very nicely and it is crystal clear who owns them.
08-03-2010, 02:39 AM,
I was lazy and copied this from his site. After this screen-shot he re-worked the town/village hexes to look more in tune with buildings of that era. Very nice, indeed, and you can adapt the terrain/graphics to the other non-Pacific based WWII era games for a more polished look.
08-03-2010, 03:59 AM,
Thanks again !!!, to IronX for all the time and effort spent producing this game transforming mod, hope we all continue to see many many more of these innovations.
08-03-2010, 04:03 AM,
(08-03-2010, 02:39 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Very nice, indeed, and you can adapt the terrain/graphics to the other non-Pacific based WWII era games for a more polished look.

How do you use the terrain/graphics with other games? I have Red Victory. Do you just replace specific files, or is it safe to use them all?

If just specific files, what ones please?
08-03-2010, 04:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2010, 04:30 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
(08-03-2010, 04:03 AM)FroBodine Wrote:
(08-03-2010, 02:39 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Very nice, indeed, and you can adapt the terrain/graphics to the other non-Pacific based WWII era games for a more polished look.

How do you use the terrain/graphics with other games? I have Red Victory. Do you just replace specific files, or is it safe to use them all?

Open up the zipped folder for the graphics update manually. Go to the Map folder and copy all the files except for 2DUnits50 and 2DUnits100. Place the files you want into the Map Folder of RV.

You can also play around and replace them individually to see what happens. Make a copy of your Map folder before adding anything. Right-Click copy, then Right-click paste right in the Red Victory folder. This way you can revert back if you don't like what you see.

You can do this for AoTR as well. It looks sharp.

The only enhancement I didn't like were the new 'snow' files. They come across as very, very white, almost blindingly so. I put the previous snow files in there to tone that down a bit.

Great stuff. I like the look
Keep in mind, this is for the terrain and the tabs/explosions graphics, etc, not for the counter graphics.
08-03-2010, 07:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2010, 07:20 AM by Lowlander.)
These are some files I've altered and am using but they might be too glarish for most folks, anyhow I found them on the net and had to resize the blighters, still don't know the origin of the original work.
Sorry forgot to say they work very very very well with IronX's graphics.
I actually ALTERED these for the Panzer/Modern campaign games and thought I'd try resizing them for Squad Battles.

AGAIN TO CLARIFY THIS IS NOT MY ORIGINAL WORK.
Please if you recognize these hexes please tell me where they come from.
And to the moderator if I've broken any rules sorry please remove posts.

Attached Files
.jpg   hexes.JPG (Size: 379.75 KB / Downloads: 28)
.jpg   snow.JPG (Size: 308.01 KB / Downloads: 25)
08-03-2010, 11:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM by FroBodine.)
(08-03-2010, 04:15 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(08-03-2010, 04:03 AM)FroBodine Wrote:

Open up the zipped folder for the graphics update manually. Go to the Map folder and copy all the files except for 2DUnits50 and 2DUnits100. Place the files you want into the Map Folder of RV.

You can do this for AoTR as well. It looks sharp.

The map files look very nice in Red Victory! Only issue I have is that the map is a little darker now, and it's harder to tell the difference between hexes you can see and blocked hexes when viewing LOS.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this how it is?

Finally, what is different about the AoTR mod, if using it with RV? Just a different take on the map graphics?
Also, my objective icon graphics did not change? Is this only if I use the mod for Eagles Strike? I have that on order so I should be getting it soon! Can't wait.

And, the unit cards graphics/backgrounds did not change? Is this also just an Eagles Strike only upgrade?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to figure out how these mods work. Many thanks for all the help!
08-03-2010, 11:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2010, 11:09 PM by TheBigRedOne.)
(08-03-2010, 11:46 AM)FroBodine Wrote: The map files look very nice in Red Victory! Only issue I have is that the map is a little darker now, and it's harder to tell the difference between hexes you can see and blocked hexes when viewing LOS.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this how it is?

Finally, what is different about the AoTR mod, if using it with RV? Just a different take on the map graphics?
Also, my objective icon graphics did not change? Is this only if I use the mod for Eagles Strike? I have that on order so I should be getting it soon! Can't wait.

And, the unit cards graphics/backgrounds did not change? Is this also just an Eagles Strike only upgrade?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to figure out how these mods work. Many thanks for all the help!

No problem. The icon graphics for the counters IronX did are for Eagle's Strike. They'd look a little weird in RV considering that the Russian squads would probably end up with US troops in them. It's why I recommended removing the Units files from the upgrade.

The changes I suggested would be for the terrain and would also place the new trench/mine/barriers...etc things in there.

As for the color, I haven't seen that drastic of a difference, but I haven't look at it all that much. I'll do so at lunch.
(08-03-2010, 07:07 AM)Lowlander Wrote: These are some files I've altered and am using but they might be too glarish for most folks, anyhow I found them on the net and had to resize the blighters, still don't know the origin of the original work.
Sorry forgot to say they work very very very well with IronX's graphics.
I actually ALTERED these for the Panzer/Modern campaign games and thought I'd try resizing them for Squad Battles.

AGAIN TO CLARIFY THIS IS NOT MY ORIGINAL WORK.
Please if you recognize these hexes please tell me where they come from.
And to the moderator if I've broken any rules sorry please remove posts.

No rules broken here. You stated it was an alteration.

Anyone who puts stuff into the public domain has to expect, and may even encourage, others to improve upon their work.

Looks great.
08-03-2010, 11:29 PM,
(08-03-2010, 11:05 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: [quote='FroBodine' pid='327242' dateline='1280800006']

No problem. The icon graphics for the counters IronX did are for Eagle's Strike. They'd look a little weird in RV considering that the Russian squads would probably end up with US troops in them. It's why I recommended removing the Units files from the upgrade.

Right. I did not use the unit files. I was just asking about the objective icons. Are they in the same file as the units? That would explain it.