• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Green Hell Tourney Round 2
08-07-2010, 05:39 AM,
RE: The Green Hell Tourney Round 2
(08-06-2010, 10:47 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Anyone not make contact with their opponent at this point?

I haven't touched base with Paulinski as yet. At this stage I don't know if my emails haven't got through or he is tied up with rl.
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2010, 08:11 PM,
(08-07-2010, 05:39 AM)Nikb Wrote:
(08-06-2010, 10:47 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Anyone not make contact with their opponent at this point?

I haven't touched base with Paulinski as yet. At this stage I don't know if my emails haven't got through or he is tied up with rl.

In touch and should be sailing pretty soon.
08-12-2010, 10:57 AM,
FastPhil and I are plugging away at each other, and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something as the scenario doesn't seem available on the reporting screen?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
08-12-2010, 10:33 PM,
It's on my 'to do' list. Will push that out by the end of today....
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-13-2010, 06:37 AM,
Done
08-15-2010, 01:52 AM,
Me and Matt (Kulmud) finished our games and they are reported I got a Minor Victory as US Player and got a Draw as German Player pretty good scenario.
08-16-2010, 09:24 PM,
I got my laptop recovered so me and Nik are making steady progress.
08-16-2010, 10:47 PM,
Anyone else not make contact with their opponent?
08-20-2010, 11:59 PM,
Myself and Mike Cox are done.

Riley D Smith: major loss as Axis / draw as Allies

Mike Cox: major win as Allies / draw as Axis

Damn well played Mike. And here is Riley's screw-up for everyone to learn from this week. BTW...this is in NO way to detract from Mikes hard fought game battling to the draw.

But, here is something I always am preaching and I failed to follow myself: "Know the victory conditions and play directly to them". In the draw I took as Allies, I actually had a minor win going in to the last turn. In a very stupid move, on the next/last turn, when all I had to do was pull back out of LOS and post a victory, I moved two squads forward in a "screen". They took casualties and I missed a minor win by 3 points. There was not one reason to move any unit forward at all.

Now...of course, I might have ended up losing anyway, but I believe I could have pulled back and not given him a chance at a shot. The odds would have been in my favor I think. Anyway...my point is that small things in this game can really matter. Especially if playing in a tourney that is (a) against very good players and (b) a really close tourney so far, a minor win vs a draw really becomes larger.

Again...Mike worked this to a draw in fine order, and he was winning until the last 2 moves (I had not taken a vp hex until then). But with one bad move I certainly took myself out of contention for a win.

Be careful out there! :bow:
08-21-2010, 01:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2010, 01:35 AM by cazart!.)
Thanks Riley a good pair of games. I could not not take those shots - really a point here and there is a big deal. I probably would have pushed forward, but not have had the shots to do any damage.

Of course, had I pushed too far, I could have tipped the scale the other way with a stupid assault... Gotta love FOW. I had no idea we were that close going into the final.

Mea Culpa

Alan - I reported the games as Sharp End #2 not Sharp End #12. Can you make the change in the DB or delete the games and I'll resubmit?

Thanks.

Mike