• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bad replays.
07-30-2010, 04:42 PM,
Bad replays.
My current Red Victory PBEM game has been getting sevaral cases of "bad combat replays". After watching the replay, it will show the confirmation window two times. Once this happens, the turn will not be saved properly when you click "end".

To avoid this, I skip the replay and continue with my turn. Is anyone experiencing this as well? Is it only for Red Victory. My other PBEM games are fine so far.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2010, 12:39 AM,
RE: Bad replays.
Deleting your pbem.xxx and pbem.yyy may fix that pretty easily. It happens in HPS PBEM games over time....
07-31-2010, 09:51 AM,
I asked Rich Hamilton (rahamy on these boards) the same questions and he said:

"The temp files become corrupted, and they in turn corrupt the replay element of the PBEM file. Deleting the xxx & yyy files from both players and skipping a round of replays usually resolves the corruption though. "

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

07-31-2010, 12:54 PM,
(07-31-2010, 09:51 AM)Mad_Dog Wrote: I asked Rich Hamilton (rahamy on these boards) the same questions and he said:

"The temp files become corrupted, and they in turn corrupt the replay element of the PBEM file. Deleting the xxx & yyy files from both players and skipping a round of replays usually resolves the corruption though. "

I always wondered what the xxx and yyy files are for, since I have my PBEM games named as something other than PBEM and they end in bte.

So it's safe to periodicaly delete those 2 files in question, pbem.xxx and pbem.yyy?
08-02-2010, 05:19 AM,
Probably it's safe. I usually clean out my folders completely every once in a while, when they get cluttered with too many old games, and I haven't had any problems that way yet.

08-02-2010, 01:17 PM,
Someone once wrote a small program that regularly scanned for and deleted those files. A bit overkill, but it is safe.
08-02-2010, 11:59 PM,
(08-02-2010, 05:19 AM)Mad_Dog Wrote: Probably it's safe. I usually clean out my folders completely every once in a while, when they get cluttered with too many old games, and I haven't had any problems that way yet.

What folders do you clean out, exactly? I would also like to clean out the clutter periodically.
08-03-2010, 05:39 AM,
I use Vista, and I have my SB games installed in C:\Program Files, which means Vista puts any file created by the program in a Temp folder... At least that is how I understand it. I delete everything in that temp folder periodically. If this isn't the case for you, then just cleaning out .bte files and the .xxx and .yyy files should work. Be careful though, don't break anything with my advice. ;)