• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ELO - 2010 CS Ladder
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2010, 12:24 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: ELO - 2010 CS Ladder
(08-04-2010, 11:57 PM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: There is a rule on this site that you can't post in a foreign language? :eek1:

Really? :conf:

Thanx!

Hawk

Nein, das stimmt nicht! :smoke:

I believe the "preference" is to post in English... but there are exceptions... especially when English IS the obstruction to understanding... as with the exchange between Remko and Peter.

Es ist alles gut! :cool2: Translation ---> "It's all good!"
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2010, 12:49 AM,
Nein.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
08-05-2010, 02:59 AM,
I think this topic has gone from ELO-ladders to "off topic" language preferences.
so here is my contribution to get back on topic :)

ELO within the Blitz doesn't mean much.
Because ELO needs a statistical/random basis to correctly represent "skill level"

but the way opponents are picked is far from random. the most of us play against a very limited number of opponents over and over again ( because we make friends)
scenarios (with a variaty of optional rules) are never 100% balanced etc...

and as there is not an annually championship to play for
we all play for fun and not "good" statistics Big Grin

regards
Remko
08-05-2010, 03:43 AM,
(08-05-2010, 02:59 AM)Remko van den Berg Wrote: ELO within the Blitz doesn't mean much.
Because ELO needs a statistical/random basis to correctly represent "skill level"

but the way opponents are picked is far from random. the most of us play against a very limited number of opponents over and over again ( because we make friends)
scenarios (with a variaty of optional rules) are never 100% balanced etc...

regards
Remko

Interesting post Remko! :)

So... what you are stating is that ELO (is at best) an "approximate" player rating... limited from being a true statistical representation because folks tend to play only their friends and a limited number of opponents? :chin:

But, what about the players who play a large number of different folks.... all who have different game skill levels? Would not the ELO be more accurate? :chin:

(08-05-2010, 02:59 AM)Remko van den Berg Wrote: we all play for fun and not "good" statistics Big Grin

I wish that was true? IMO, many Blitzers do play for "fun" ... but even a cursory inspection of player stats... will reveal those folks with high win% playing much lower win% players on a regular basis? Obviously, that "practice" artifically boosts both win% and ELO for players? :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-05-2010, 04:34 AM,
(08-05-2010, 02:59 AM)Remko van den Berg Wrote: ELO within the Blitz doesn't mean much.

This was one reason I campaigned against the addition of ELO to the club stats :chin: Whip

(08-05-2010, 02:59 AM)Remko van den Berg Wrote: the way opponents are picked is far from random. the most of us play against a very limited number of opponents over and over again ( because we make friends)

LOL! I've had 110 opponents all of variable skill levels. Most were not random but, I rarely refuse to play anyone when, and if, I have the time. :smoke:

(08-05-2010, 02:59 AM)Remko van den Berg Wrote: there is not an annually championship to play for
we all play for fun and not "good" statistics

I have met quite a few who play for stats. Most of them were not as fun to play ... and ... I do play to have fun. :whis:

The one year ladder was set up to reflect a year of play similar to a championship versus the overall stats of players calculated from when they reported their first game?
BTW, I was against that too! ;)

cheers

HSL
08-05-2010, 05:28 AM,
(08-05-2010, 04:34 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: BTW, I was against that too! ;)

cheers

HSL

But I'm for love and I'm for happiness.......you might be a redneck if you recognize that :-)

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
08-05-2010, 07:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2010, 07:42 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
@ Mr. KK
Someone should explain to Panzerjager that he did not break a rule. His post seems to suggest he thinks he did.

Oh and I do have the basics of German. Big Grin

@ Remko
Your observations are spot on.

@Everyone else.
I play for fun stats! :whis:

Thanx!

Hawk

Oh yeah @ Mr RR. :cheeky:
08-05-2010, 07:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2010, 07:53 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
(08-05-2010, 07:41 AM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: @ Mr. KK
Someone should explain to Panzerjager that he did not break a rule. His post seems to suggest he thinks he did.

From club rule #1:
"We have members on every continent, except Antarctica; however, most of our members generally reside in the United States, Europe, or Australia. English is the most common language of club communication, but it is not a necessity. We have many bilingual players that are more than willing to help anyone that does not speak or understand English very well."

Clearly demonstrated in this thread? :chin:

cheers

HSL
08-06-2010, 12:27 AM,
[Spot on Ed !

quote='Herr Straßen Läufer' pid='327398' dateline='1281001937']
(08-05-2010, 07:41 AM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: @ Mr. KK

From club rule #1:
"We have members on every continent, except Antarctica; however, most of our members generally reside in the United States, Europe, or Australia. English is the most common language of club communication, but it is not a necessity. We have many bilingual players that are more than willing to help anyone that does not speak or understand English very well."

Clearly demonstrated in this thread? :chin:

cheers

HSL
[/quote]
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
08-06-2010, 05:52 AM,
Hello Gamers,

thanks for the explanations.
I think I understood most of it
Google has translated correctly.
I will try to write English in the future and
times when no one understands me, then just German.

Sorry, but this translation is of "G"

Regards Peter
Send this user an email