• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France 14 question
07-26-2010, 08:16 AM,
France 14 question
Can anyone provide any enlightenment on how to handle the situation of the French 18th Div, orphaned at quite some distance from its parent 9th Corps in the early campaign? Is it advisable to use precious rail capacity to move the 18th toward Sedan, or should they just spend a week on the long road march? Maybe it's better to just put them on the battle line where they're presently located(?) As far as I'm aware, there's no way to attach them to any other Corps or Army, or am I wrong in assuming that? Any suggestions from someone more experienced with this scenario?
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2010, 09:56 AM,
RE: France 14 question
I'm not familiar with the situation of the 18th Division but only Corps can be switched between Armies. You will either have to throw them into the line where they are and have them remain out of command or start humping toward their parent organization.
07-26-2010, 10:49 AM,
Yeah, I expect those are my two not altogether welcome alternatives. Just wondering which one will be the least painful.
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM,
I am always inclined to maintain a tidy organization unless there is a pressing threat that demands throwing the wayward unit into the fray. I would probably rail them to the parent unit unless they are desperately needed where they are or there are many other units needing rail assets that have priority.
07-26-2010, 12:46 PM,
There's no pressing need for that division in their present position. The only problem is that rail capacity is limited and there is a large gap between the Allied left flank and the Pas de Calais. So one of the questions is whether to devote rail capacity to getting the 18th Div to where they belong or whether to devote the rail capacity to putting other units into the gap on the left, or whether there is enough rail capacity to do both. That's why I'm asking if it might be better to road march them or just leave them where they are now.
07-26-2010, 11:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2010, 01:19 AM by Sol Invictus.)
Sorry but I really can't help you with that since I am not familiar with the situation. Sounds like you need to make a judgement call and prioritize.

Looks like the new patch might solve your dilemma so if you just started you might want to begin a new game.
07-27-2010, 12:10 AM,
Against an aggressive German you will need fresh units everywhere so worrying about nice compact formations is usually a luxury for the French! :)
07-27-2010, 10:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM by alaric99x.)
Thank you guys for your input. I was hoping to get some advice from someone with more experience with this scenario to see how they decided to handle this problem. Now that an update of this campaign has been released, the problem is no longer so critical. That is, with many other units deployed in proper historical positions, more advantageous to the allied side, rail capacity to move the 18th Div is no longer so scarce or critical. Besides, I'm not sure that another update might change the position of that formation anyway.