• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MAIN EVENT VII! Ratzki vs Joonny....
09-08-2010, 02:06 PM,
RE: MAIN EVENT VII! Ratzki vs Joonny....
Quote:But for some odd reason the vet Panther picked up the approaching T34, even though it was buttoned and facing the other way, and was able to get his turret around. Consequently the crack T34/85 only gets a ricochet off of the front turret.

The T-34 Commander was dead, the tank buttoned... This was probably the reason for him needing to stick his nose Waaaayyy out there before picking up the Panther, whose living (?) commander was able to pick up the threat...

Tough to win a quick draw with a dead tank commander.
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2010, 04:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2010, 04:54 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
MINUTE 27...
(09-08-2010, 02:06 PM)Mikey_FGM Wrote: whose living (?) commander was able to pick up the threat...

That's what was so unusual - the Panther's commader was dead too. Do Panther's get bonus built-in awareness? Or perhaps in such a close fight the resting Panther heard the approaching engine noise?

Now we are up to minute 27 - first a look at the northern flags by the sea. We can see the Russians have completely overrun the 300 point flag and have reached the 100 point flag, forcing the Panther that won the duel with the T34/85 last minute to hurriedly back away...

[Image: 84a.jpg]

Over in the Southern flag area, Ratzki has recovered in the woods and, by doing a slick end around move with the remnants of his forces, has brought downa lot of firepower on Joonny's guarding SMG platoon. All the squads in this platoon are low on ammo and about all they can do is duck. Behind this platoon is one more SMG platoon guarding the church, but only one of the squads has ammo. Joonny ordered his AFVs out of the area, so this time his troops have no HE support.

[Image: 84b.jpg]

Now for the Panther/IS-2 duel. The Panther turns on the IS-2, but the IS-2 turns on the Panther also. The Panther fires first and misses...

[Image: 84c.jpg]

But the IS-2 doesn't miss - one shot, one kill...

[Image: 84d.jpg]

Suddenly things don't look so bleak for Ratzki. But since this is a 30+ minute battle, he may have only three turns left. If he has time to get into the Southern church and also neutralize the central town flag, he may be able to pull off an upset or at least get a draw.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
09-09-2010, 06:16 AM,
RE: MINUTE 27...
(09-09-2010, 04:52 AM)Der Kuenstler Wrote:
(09-08-2010, 02:06 PM)Mikey_FGM Wrote: whose living (?) commander was able to pick up the threat...

That's what was so unusual - the Panther's commader was dead too. Do Panther's get bonus built-in awareness? Or perhaps in such a close fight the resting Panther heard the approaching engine noise?

Perhaps Johnny ordered the Panther to turn as a precaution because he knew the T34 was there from the previous duel with the Stug ?
09-09-2010, 03:41 PM,
RE: MINUTE 27...
(09-09-2010, 06:16 AM)Bert Blitzkrieg Wrote:
(09-09-2010, 04:52 AM)Der Kuenstler Wrote:

Perhaps Johnny ordered the Panther to turn as a precaution because he knew the T34 was there from the previous duel with the Stug ?

Quote:Or perhaps in such a close fight the resting Panther heard the approaching engine noise?
Perhaps that's it. Stationary vehicles have better spotting then moving vehicles right?

Anyways, interesting match.
Nice Panther Kill last turn.
09-10-2010, 03:39 AM,
Minute 28...
Maybe Joonny will elighten us further about the Panther after the battle. Here is an overhead shot of the battle at the end of minute 28. It has pretty much turned into a Russian infantry vs German armour battle. Joonny's infantry forces are collapsing all across the front, but he still has quite a stable of AFVs. One of Ratzki's Pioneer squads pitched a satchel charge at Joonny's immobilized Stug in town but it missed. Ratzki is keeping all of Joonny's armour buttoned with constant small arms fire.

[Image: 87a.jpg]

Ratzki says:

"I get the feeling that something is changing. I had not given thought to the matter that Jonny's tanks and squads just might be running low on ammo. Why did he not pursue my guys over on my right in the woods, and his tanks and SP guns are reversing away from the flags. If this is the case then I might be able to get a better result then I thought I would a couple turns ago. Being that I never say die, this might turn around. A lot of the time, games are won and lost in the final couple of turns. I still have enough men to make a half decent push for the flags. Do noy misrep this as a flag rush, even though it will definetly look like one. I will plan to arrive at the flags in good order and close assult his troops there for final control. Hmmmm... just might work. I might have a
good line on his troops with my remaining tank and hopefully will be able to do some damage here.
I did miss with that satchel charge, that really pi$$'d me off. Now will have to come up with another plan. Ok, on to the next turn."
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
09-11-2010, 07:44 AM,
MINUTE 29...
As the battle nears its end, Ratzki's IS-2 zeroes in on Joonny's German held church in the center of town. It is full of the last remnants of the German infantry there. With a blast of 188, the IS-2 will have no problem bringing the church down - but with its commander killed it can only fire about once every 30 seconds. Will there be time? Notice up on the seacliffs Joonny's Panther is hunting behind the IS-2 but can't see it yet.

[Image: 90a.jpg]

At the Southern flag, Ratzki's men have successfully liquidated Joonny's SMG platoon in the woods. Next stop - the other platoon guarding the church. Only one of the squads in the church platoon has ammo, but time is getting short....

[Image: 90b.jpg]

Ratzki says:

"Is it my imagination, or has the German shooting eased way off. Even one of his panthers is now shooting AP at my infantry. I am gonna give it a real go here, next turn, maybe the turn after. I think Jonny has run or is running out of ammunition. Gonna do another Russian Wave here soon, wow 2 in one battle, I have never had this opportunity before. Uuurrraaahhh !!!"
09-14-2010, 04:37 AM,
RE: MAIN EVENT VII! Ratzki vs Joonny....
Wow, this is becoming a real nail biter. Can't wait to see if Ratzki can pull it off.
09-14-2010, 08:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
MINUTE 30...
In the final regular minute of the battle Ratzki spoils Joonny's fun by simply pulling his IS-2 to the North of the thick woods. Now the hunting Panther on the cliffs won't be able to get it....but by moving the IS-2 was only able to put one more shell in the building in town.

[Image: 93a.jpg]

Here Joonny has a lone tank hunter team trying to guard a 100 point flag near the Southern church. The team is low on ammo and facing an advance from some of Razki's Russians.

[Image: 93b.jpg]

Despite support fire from some distant MG42s, the Russians heroically cross the road and make it to the house. The unit turns out to be a Russian infantry HQ. THe result is that the flag is neutralized, which, since it happened on the last regular minute, will surely send this match into overtime.

[Image: 93c.jpg]

In the seatown, Joonny continues to fire at the Russian infantry, but he is down to only 5 HE shells between two vehicles. His stugs have only AP - no HE or MG ammo left.

Ratzki says "I don't think that I will have enough time to finish the job. Gonna be close..."
09-16-2010, 12:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2010, 12:10 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
Minute 32...
At the 100 point flag in the center of the map the mini-battle continues to rage. Joonny's AT team managed to kill Ratzki's HQ which had a foothold in the light house. So Ratzki pulls out his big gun and blows the house down. Now the German team is dead too. But the only Russians in the area are two AT teams. The closest team to the house is broken and cannot take the flag.

[Image: 98a.jpg]

At town center, Ratzki is sending what's left of his infantry across the street and into the Germans last holdout where the central 300 point flag is. The Russians are getting pinned and bruised pretty good, but the flag now looks neutral.

[Image: 98b.jpg]

At the Northern corner of the same block, the last surviving Russian soldier of a regular Pioneer squad pitches his last grenade, and, as if written for a dramatic hollywood movie, kills a German stug...

[Image: 98c.jpg]

The soldier's name? Chuck Norrislov...

[Image: chuck20norris.jpg]

To the North, Ratzki is sending every man in fighting shape to get Joonny's struggling Panther there. Ratzki is sending his men out of the house and into the rocks, where they crawl towards the tank. The Panther has managed to kill two remnants of squads but has become immobilized - no more backing away....

[Image: 98d.jpg]
09-21-2010, 07:00 AM,
Minute 34...
Everything remains fairly static as far as the situation goes in overtime. Here in minute 34 Ratzki tries to move his last AFV up to fire at the Germans in the Southern church, but comes into the sights of one of Joonny's stugs up on the seacliffs. The stug gets a penetration....

[Image: 95a.jpg]

But apparently no damage to the IS-2 as it is able to back to safety...

[Image: 95b.jpg]