• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Has anyone had success with RV's 2nd training scenario?
07-23-2010, 01:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2010, 01:50 AM by FroBodine.)
RE: Has anyone had success with RV's 2nd training scenario?
(07-23-2010, 01:09 AM)Ozgur Budak Wrote: Reading all of the posts make me very happy since I see my aim for this scenario was achieved; that is guiding players to think tactically rather than relying on numbers or die rolls.

My artillery seems to always land too long or way too short, like 3-4 hexes behind the target. I occasionally take out some barbed wire, but very rarely will one land on the bunker. And you only get two shots of each barrage, and one of those is used for smoke. So, for me artillery has not helped much.

-=Jeff
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2010, 03:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2010, 03:02 AM by Rabbit.)
RE: Has anyone had success with RV's 2nd training scenario?
If your radio spotter doesn't have a line of sight to the target hex, it will increase the variance of where the shells land. So you might try moving your radio spotter to where he has a line of sight to the target hex and then compare your results. Personally, I liked using hex [7,13]. However as John astutely noted earlier, putting your spotter in the LOS of the bunkers is a sizable risk in this particular scenario where the Germans are laying down some pretty fierce fire.

I don't remember what penetration factor the shells had in this scenario, but generally remote support has high lethality but low penetration. As such, units in well protected terrain are unlikely to be affected much by the shelling. It helps if the support disrupts the German units, but it is unlikely to do so. On the flip side, it also isn't likely to affect your units in the woods much either, so you can target the support pretty close to your units without worrying too much about errant shells.

In this scenario, I found the biggest benefit of the remote support was in wiping out some of the barbed wire. As such, I targeted those hexes rather than the German bunkers. Also, if your initial salvos of support fail to wipe out any barbed wire, you might forsake that final round of smoke for an additional round of shells to get another shot at wiping out the barbed wire.

Probably the best piece of advice I can give is to test different things and see what results you get. Because remote support usually lands somewhat randomly, it helps to try different things to get a "feel" for where it is best to target it.

Cheers,
Bill
(07-23-2010, 12:04 AM)FroBodine Wrote: And that brings up another of my questions? How come newly rallied units cannot move at all even though they have plenty of movement points remaining?

Hi Jeff, the simple answer to your question about newly rallied units is that the movement cost of a Disrupted unit is twice that of the normal movement cost for a unit.

Taking that a step further to expand on the math of it:
Infantry units start with 24 movement points available. A unit uses 8 movement points upon getting rallied, which leaves it with 16 movement points. Pinned units are automatically put into Ground Mode, so your newly rallied unit would still be in Ground Mode, and movement costs would be doubled again unless you left Ground Mode. Leaving Ground Mode costs 3 movement points, so you now have 13 movement points remaining. Since movement costs are doubled due to being Disrupted, you could only move to another hex that costs 6 points (half of 13), which is usually only clear terrain of the same elevation or lower.

Hth,
Bill
Quote this message in a reply