• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

errors in PBEM files
07-17-2010, 02:54 AM,
RE: errors in PBEM files
(07-17-2010, 01:43 AM)bwv Wrote: don't get the rationale for using zip files, the PBEM files are not big enough to be worth compressing and anti-virus software does not like them.

Think of it like Opening a Big Paper map outside in the wind. It might get ripped.

Whereas if you fold it the way a map is suppose to be folded you an move around looking at only the piece you need.

The analogy may not be perfect - but the point is that you are sending a ascii TEXT file but it is not being read by NOTEPAD, so if an extra character or line gets inserted somewhere - the file will open notpad but might not open in the game.

Also - zipping and unzipping allows you to see the exact timestamp of the file and frankly for me it is easier to move to the correct folder.

You can download a program like SEVEN ZIP for free and it works very well.

Another point - you said you didn't want to redo the turn as it is a BIG turn - and I can understadn that - so what I would have done is just before you end you game,

SAVE AS a Backup file
Then SAVE AS the gamefile name you and you oppenent agreed upon
Then end the turn.

This way if something does go badly you can alway open your backup file, SAVE AS the game file, End turn, ZIP and your back on track.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2010, 04:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2010, 04:18 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
I use a similar check to Rick, as i go to attach the zip file to my message i hover my cursor over the game file and check the date/time, i then hover my cursor over the zip file to check it is the same (or maybe a minute later), in this way i have gone a couple of years since i sent a zip file with the old turn! Big Grin

A quick and simple check.................
We also had someone on the forum saying they didn't want to zip as it involved using a separate programme, they were using XP and didn't realise that it had a zip function included as part of the OS, i assume Vista/Win7 is the same.
07-19-2010, 04:58 PM,
There is no need to zip the file. The protocol for attachements is lossless. As for people who end up seeing the attachement embedded in the message, there will be a setting you can change to stop that.

For example, in Thunderbird, (a free email client) under View/Display Attachments Inline will toggle it.

Outlook and all the other email programs out there will have something similar
07-20-2010, 03:05 AM,
(07-19-2010, 04:58 PM)Liquid_Sky Wrote: There is no need to zip the file.

Except maybe - I can't think of a single reason to NOT ZIP. As Ricky said, makes file naviagation easier if nothing else.
Send this user an email
07-20-2010, 09:56 AM,
Everyone has made some sort of mistake with pbem file transfer, I'll wager. I always answer the question, "Did you ZIP it?" in the affirmative, and then find the source of my error. Zipping cuts down the errors for me, as pointed out by others.