• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TOD and ES arriving today!
07-20-2010, 01:22 AM,
TOD and ES arriving today!
First off, I am glad that I found this site and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of TOD and ES today, confirmed by USPS tracking (fingers crossed). I have been a wargamer for many years, mainly Close Combat, the original and ABTF. I lost interest after ABTF as it seemed like the engine was changed and I just couldn't get into it. I also played Combat Mission for a while. I have a few ASL games at home but never could find enough people interested in playing them. Recently, I went on a search for an ASL comparable computer game and I stumbled upon HPS Simulations. In my research I found this site and read a lot of reviews about the games. Needless to say, my interest got peaked and my need for wargaming has been pegged for the last few of weeks. As a result, I ordered TOD and ES from NWS Online and felt like a kid in a candy store. Still not sure how I left the store with only two games! Anyway, tonight will be filled with great gaming that I cannot wait for. I plan on working on the game mechanics and learning the system for a week or two and then try my hand at PBEM.
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2010, 03:54 AM,
RE: TOD and ES arriving today!
Welcome and enjoy!
07-20-2010, 04:43 AM,
(07-20-2010, 01:22 AM)Talon91 Wrote: First off, I am glad that I found this site and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of TOD and ES today, confirmed by USPS tracking (fingers crossed). I have been a wargamer for many years, mainly Close Combat, the original and ABTF. I lost interest after ABTF as it seemed like the engine was changed and I just couldn't get into it. I also played Combat Mission for a while. I have a few ASL games at home but never could find enough people interested in playing them. Recently, I went on a search for an ASL comparable computer game and I stumbled upon HPS Simulations. In my research I found this site and read a lot of reviews about the games. Needless to say, my interest got peaked and my need for wargaming has been pegged for the last few of weeks. As a result, I ordered TOD and ES from NWS Online and felt like a kid in a candy store. Still not sure how I left the store with only two games! Anyway, tonight will be filled with great gaming that I cannot wait for. I plan on working on the game mechanics and learning the system for a week or two and then try my hand at PBEM.

Welcome aboard!

Make sure you go to the HPS website for the latest updates for both games, then head over to Task Force Echo Four for a variety of post-release scenario/sound and graphics mods for both games.

Post any and all questions for the players here, and if you've got any other questios, Mad_Dog or I will do our best to answer them.

The learning curve is a little steep, but once you get the hang of the game, you'll be as addicted as the rest of us!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2010, 04:30 PM by jomni.)
I have TOD and is a relative newbie. You can send me an email if you want to start a game.

BTW, I am currently liking the Martix Close Combat games. But still nostalgic about ABTF. The new campaign system cam be problematic at times.
Send this user an email
07-22-2010, 01:18 AM,
Thanks for the welcome and the additional info. I have been playing TOD the last couple of evenings and so far so good. I have played a couple of scenarios and have lost one and won one, both minor. I am thinking I can really get into these games, I am liking everything I have seen so far. The articles on Task Force Echo Four have been very helpful also.

Jomni, in the short term I will be sticking with the AI but when I make the move to PBEM I will look you up. I have been looking at Last Stand Arnhem but have not been willing to make the leap back into CC. Although I am interested since it is a remake of ABTF.
07-22-2010, 01:50 AM,
I purchased Last Stand Arnhem. There are some issues with the game which will be fixed soon. However, I fell in love with the squad battles games and have to say that I enjoy them more than CC - having played CC for 6 years or so.
07-22-2010, 01:55 AM,
I took the plunge and bought LSA last night, played an early scenario and had a German vehicle move onto the bridge and just spin directions like it wanted to go somewhere but couldn't move.

The concept is good, killrate is a lot higher then Squad Battles games which I don't like. This game has some issues, with map elevations being different to what the map is showing and some other stuff. A few threads on it at Matrix, overall it's pretty good though
07-27-2010, 12:04 AM,
Welcome aboard and game inbound (from Tour of Duty). As everyone will say...play and ask play and ask play and ask. That's best way to get used to and proficient with this game engine. I have started playing more against the computer with fow off and watching results, weap vs weap, just learning the ins and outs of the game engine. It's pretty versatile (you can manually switch to HE in your single tank units, engage a soft/infantry target, then switch back to AT for upcoming opfire phase). So much more.

Everyone here has something to offer. Many threads concerning various play methods etc. I writing an AAR for a game I am in right now (the mirror that Mad_dog and I are playing....writing the AAR after each turn...including screenies). There are some posted already. Also tactics articles. Remember this format is all about the tactical first...strategic aims are at times even superficial here.

Enjoy.
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM,
Got the game. Stay tuned for my reply. Thanks for playing.
Send this user an email