• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

An interesting note about screen resolution
07-12-2010, 06:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2010, 06:41 AM by White Eagle.)
An interesting note about screen resolution
I have been playing Red Victory for close to 2 weeks on a 22 inch wide screen monitor with screen resolution set to 1680x1050 and I could not be happier with the size of the icons, unit cards and overall map area available on screen at any moment. It looks really good! Large monitor, large playable area that is viewable and sharp looking counters!

I had wondered however about changing the screen resolution in the game but I could never find anything in the settings when I loaded up the game so I gave up on trying to change it. I was curious to see how the game may look at other resolutions.

Last night I installed Panzer Campaigns Tobruk '41 with Volcano's mod and Mapmod and while the game looked good, the playing area was much smaller then Red Victory. Same resolution, but Tobruk '41 did not scale up as well to 1680x1050. The counters where much too small, and the overall map area was smaller. The game was playable at that resolution, but not very enjoyable when you have to really look at the map to see units.

The only good thing at that resolution was the unit cards where really sharp and crisp, they looked perfect!

So after tinkering around I discovered how to change the resolution in the game, you need to change it in your PC's display settings. The game itself does not have a setting for the resolution, it only will use what ever resolution you have your monitor set at.

So to sum things up:

-I am guessing since Tobruk'41 is an older game, it was made to played optimally at lesser screen resolution which "was" standard 2001-2002?

-Is this old news about screen resolution? I could not find any info about this before I posted here on how to change it for a game.

-I sincerely hope this information does help someone, in order to enjoy a game I think you have to at least be able to find viewing it comfortable.

- I'd like to hear form other members what they find to be there perfect viewing set-up to be
Quote this message in a reply