I have a question about this part of manual:

"When Infantry is in the same hex as a non-wreck Vehicle, then it gets an
additional protection value equal to the Infantry Protection parameter data
value."

Would this also apply to empty trucks? That is, would they give some
protection to my infantry?

Thanks,

Gerry

I believe you are correct in your assessment. The soft skinned vehicles don't offer a ton of protection, but more than sitting out in the open.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2010, 12:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2010, 12:41 AM by Rabbit.)
RE: Protection from Vehicles Question
I opened the Parameter Data file in RV and found the Infantry Protection value is set to 4 (which I presume is relatively consistent across titles and scenarios). I interpret that to mean all non-wrecked vehicles provide infantry with a protection value of 4, regardless of the type of vehicle. In other words, an M-1 provides the same protection as a basic convoy truck ... except that you are less likely to find yourself next to a wrecked vehicle. :)
07-10-2010, 01:11 AM,
(07-10-2010, 12:41 AM)Rabbit Wrote: I opened the Parameter Data file in RV and found the Infantry Protection value is set to 4 (which I presume is relatively consistent across titles and scenarios). I interpret that to mean all non-wrecked vehicles provide infantry with a protection value of 4, regardless of the type of vehicle. In other words, an M-1 provides the same protection as a basic convoy truck ... except that you are less likely to find yourself next to a wrecked vehicle. :)

That is correct. Though you already get the IPV, so you are doubling your IPV to 8 if you are in hex with a vehicle. A soft skinned one is likely to be a wreck shortly as pointed out.
07-10-2010, 11:56 AM,
(07-10-2010, 01:11 AM)cazart! Wrote:
(07-10-2010, 12:41 AM)Rabbit Wrote: I opened the Parameter Data file in RV and found the Infantry Protection value is set to 4 (which I presume is relatively consistent across titles and scenarios). I interpret that to mean all non-wrecked vehicles provide infantry with a protection value of 4, regardless of the type of vehicle. In other words, an M-1 provides the same protection as a basic convoy truck ... except that you are less likely to find yourself next to a wrecked vehicle. :)

That is correct. Though you already get the IPV, so you are doubling your IPV to 8 if you are in hex with a vehicle. A soft skinned one is likely to be a wreck shortly as pointed out.

Thanks. Do you think it's gamey to unload units from the trucks and then drive the trucks to hexes that give cover to the infantry?

A disadvantage anyway is that trucks can be easily destroyed and thus cost victory points, right?

Gerry
07-10-2010, 01:03 PM,
I would not want to give away the points of a destroyed vehicle for temporary protection.
07-13-2010, 02:08 AM,
I am sure the Victory Points lost are worth far more than the temporary, minimal protection. Now in a SAW or DBP ambush scenario, the trucks may be all the protection you have...
07-13-2010, 03:36 AM,
(07-10-2010, 11:56 AM)GerryM Wrote:
(07-10-2010, 01:11 AM)cazart! Wrote:

Thanks. Do you think it's gamey to unload units from the trucks and then drive the trucks to hexes that give cover to the infantry?

A disadvantage anyway is that trucks can be easily destroyed and thus cost victory points, right?

Gerry

I'll answer this in Rabbit's post on 'gamey tactics'
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4