• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Clearing RUBBLE
06-08-2010, 07:49 PM,
Clearing RUBBLE
Using a 480 man engineer btn of B or C morale, is this a worthwhile activity?
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 01:54 AM,
RE: Clearing RUBBLE
Depends where the RUBBLE is. On a major thoroughfare for your coming reinforcements - absolutely. In the middle of a city/woods, etc? Yes. On a wide open plain, or on the defense? Not so much.

Then again, maybe those engineers could be bridging/damaging bridges/digging in, etc.

Also check the pdt for the game. Sometimes it is easy, sometimes it may take forever. I have had an engineer company clearing rubble north of Nijmegen for what must be 20 turns now. He was joined 5 or so ago by a battalion. No luck whatsoever....
06-09-2010, 06:00 AM,
When I first started playing I tried to clear RUBBLE in B44 but it went on for days so I finally just gave up. I don't think I've tried since in any game. I should check the pdt file but it doesn't seem worth the time to me... when I need every man at the front!
06-09-2010, 06:27 AM,
(06-09-2010, 06:00 AM)Rev Rico Wrote: When I first started playing I tried to clear RUBBLE in B44 but it went on for days so I finally just gave up. I don't think I've tried since in any game. I should check the pdt file but it doesn't seem worth the time to me... when I need every man at the front!

Use the search function for the forum, i remember a big ol discussion on clearing rubble maybe about 1 year ago.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
06-09-2010, 06:43 AM,
If it's not critical to clear the hex for movement then leave it. It's just not worth the trouble.
06-09-2010, 07:25 AM,
(06-09-2010, 06:43 AM)Nitram Draw Wrote: If it's not critical to clear the hex for movement then leave it. It's just not worth the trouble.

This depends on the game. If you are playing something huge like Minsk, where the Soviets are expected to advance a long way, your supply level will drop by 20 or 30 points just from the increased distance from the edge of the board. In this game it makes sense to clear rubble of a few major roads to keep supply situation as buoyant as possible
06-09-2010, 09:57 AM,
This is in F'40 in the big 140 turn campaign and we are on #26 currently. I've managed to secure several bridges across the Meuse intact, but of course each one of these is of huge value in bringing troops and supplies across. One of them has rubbled villages on both sides of the river, and I'm working on getting them cleared. It may take days, I have no idea, but it could still be worth the effort.

I suppose my opponent will read this, but it's not like it's a secret he knows very well what is going on. :whis:
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
06-09-2010, 10:27 PM,
If there is clear hex's next to the bridge (with rubble at each end) it would be quicker to build a bridge there and just use this with a minor detour, a bridge will be up in 2-5 turns the rubble might be there forever. ;)
06-09-2010, 11:46 PM,
What's the default chance of the RUBBLE beeing removed?
06-10-2010, 12:17 AM,
It varies by title, but suffice it to say the chances appear to be low. I had a single engineer in Bulge trying to remove rubble, as German, from early on in the scenario, and worked at it for at least 7 days, the unit went into max fatigue, and it never removed the rubble, so I stopped.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]