• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC France 1940 help
06-12-2010, 09:19 AM,
PzC France 1940 help
Just picked up my first HPS Sims game after many many years of being hesitant and only playing Battlefront or Matrix titles.

France 1940 is just the grognardy title I was looking for but I have some questions and maybe you all can point me the right way.

1) is the getting started section the only tutorial?

2) Is that scenario designed for German fail? It is a tough one and in 8 turns I cannot reach the 2nd objectives it is very hard to break that french line

See my attached screenshot.

Is the game primarily about attrition? It seems hard to destroy enemy units?

This is my first encounter with the game system as I am used to Eastern Front etc etc it has a different combat look with the morale and fatigue and such.

Thanks for all help!

Attached Files
.jpg   snapshot.jpg (Size: 418.09 KB / Downloads: 23)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2010, 09:45 AM,
RE: PzC France 1940 help
(06-12-2010, 09:19 AM)Jasonf Wrote: Just picked up my first HPS Sims game after many many years of being hesitant and only playing Battlefront or Matrix titles.

France 1940 is just the grognardy title I was looking for but I have some questions and maybe you all can point me the right way.

1) is the getting started section the only tutorial?

2) Is that scenario designed for German fail? It is a tough one and in 8 turns I cannot reach the 2nd objectives it is very hard to break that french line

See my attached screenshot.

Is the game primarily about attrition? It seems hard to destroy enemy units?

This is my first encounter with the game system as I am used to Eastern Front etc etc it has a different combat look with the morale and fatigue and such.

Thanks for all help!

Welcome.

1) Yes, but there are plenty of other smaller scenarios to warm up. However, the getting started scenario is the only on with a written walkthrough.

2) No, you just can't be afraid to push forward.

Very rarely did units get decimated to the point of no return. This isn't a simple game, it's a simulation. Just like in real warfare, your goal is not to completely destroy the enemy, but to break the enemy and cause them to retreat from the objective. It's more "pushing" each the enemy out of the way than actually destroying. However, I've seen plenty of times where units are completely wiped out. My point is- you don't need to completely eliminate the enemy to win.
06-12-2010, 01:55 PM,
It took me some time to figure things out; like that you need to disorder a unit before you assault it. I think that knowledge is the single most important element in PzC. If you use the general principles for military movements that you learned in the other games you've played, and never assault until the enemy is disordered you should do all right. That tutorial scenario, 7th Pz advance as I recall, IS a tough slog, as those Dutch-Belgique Jaegers are elite troops, (something I learned from playing this title) and you don't have a whole lot of time to break through. Jonny cheers
06-12-2010, 03:11 PM,
As in the actual campaign, the Germans have a need for speed. Try some unorthodox approaches that you would not have done in BF or Matrix like moving and assaulting along the road with your panzers in a column. After all these roads in the Ardennes gave the German High Command the willeys. Just thinking of all those vehicles in the panzer divisions lined up on narrow roads with Allied planes strafing and bombing them.....well now you see why you can not wait around with your panzer divisions to mop up in the forest. That is the job for the following infantry divisions.

This will work against the AI. Against a human opponent you will have to be a bit more clever or cautious. But that is another thread...

In the mean time, check the bibliography in the designer notes file that came with your game. If you have not read The Blitzkrieg Legend, then do so. It will enhance your value in the F40 game.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM,
Make sure you are using all your Artillery & Air Power before attacking/assaulting with your ground forces. Always leave some recon/armor in reserve to exploit any opportunities. The Germans are the masters of combined arms. Use your assets appropriately.
06-12-2010, 07:29 PM,
When you read the manual there are hints to how you should play the system to maximise the effectiveness of your forces by making the game engine work for you.

On a more basic level don't worry about winning or losing the tutorial scenario, just work on playing the Germans better and better each time, as others have said you are looking to use any air strikes, arty and direct fire to disrupt the defenders so you can assault the defenders out of their positions, if you play the AI with FOW off you can see the odds being calculated by the game engine and this will give you a hint of the number crunching going on behind the scenes.

These are great games, but you have to put the legwork in to enjoy them to the max. ;)
06-15-2010, 02:01 AM,
(06-12-2010, 07:29 PM)Foul. Wrote: if you play the AI with FOW off you can see the odds being calculated by the game engine and this will give you a hint of the number crunching going on behind the scenes.
Don't you need to also turn off "On Map Results"?
06-15-2010, 02:30 AM,
(06-15-2010, 02:01 AM)cazart! Wrote:
(06-12-2010, 07:29 PM)Foul. Wrote: if you play the AI with FOW off you can see the odds being calculated by the game engine and this will give you a hint of the number crunching going on behind the scenes.
Don't you need to also turn off "On Map Results"?
Yes of course thank you, under "Settings" make sure "On Map Results" is unchecked.

Good job you guys are keeping an eye on me! Big Grin