• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

D-Day 6th June
06-07-2010, 06:05 AM,
D-Day 6th June
Hope you all remember the sacrifices made this day so long ago.

No! I wasn't there, Ed.
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2010, 06:13 AM,
RE: D-Day 6th June
I have been to all the invasion beaches, but standing at the water line at low tide on Omaha looking at a huge expanse of flat sand with the bluffs rising behind you have to wonder how anyone made it off the beach.
06-07-2010, 06:35 AM,
(06-07-2010, 06:05 AM)von Schwarze Wrote: No! I wasn't there, Ed.

Dammit, you take the fun out of everything... ;)

Yeah, I was actually asked today (before I saw this post) "do you know what today is?" and I said, D-Day, June 6th 1944! Well, apparently I was being asked if I remembered some day or date that I was supposed to remember some other such and such and all that, and I had to listen to how I couldn't remember it but how I could remember that it was D-Day 60+ years ago... :eek1:
Send this user an email
06-07-2010, 07:14 AM,
(06-07-2010, 06:35 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Yeah, I was actually asked today (before I saw this post) "do you know what today is?" and I said, D-Day, June 6th 1944! Well, apparently I was being asked if I remembered some day or date that I was supposed to remember some other such and such and all that, and I had to listen to how I couldn't remember it but how I could remember that it was D-Day 60+ years ago... :eek1:

Hell Ed, you didn't forget her birthday did you?? :eek1:

...or was it a wedding anniversary???? ;)

...or the first time you dated???? :chin:
06-07-2010, 07:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2010, 07:22 AM by Volcano Man.)
Nah, nothing that important -- it was the date I said I was going to do something around here. Actually, hmmm, I am still not sure as I wasn't listening too well. LOL j/k

But not to take away from the serious nature of the thread... yes, remember June 6th, maybe play some Omaha beach scenario in N44 today and just try to imagine...
Send this user an email
06-07-2010, 07:46 AM,
Yes of course my post 2 sums up my feelings, but the documentary i watched today showed that even with all the death and injury there were lighthearted moments and often "gallows humour" was used to help people get through these often terrible experiences.

One example was the crew of a DD tank who decided to stand on the tank rather than stay in it just in case it sunk, of course the driver had to stay in the tank and so the others thoughtfully bought him a pair of flippers just in case.......
06-07-2010, 07:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM by Al.)
A lot of brave men died that day in pursuit of an honorable goal.

6/6/44
06-07-2010, 09:07 AM,
My Uncle was with 1st division (Big Red One) on Omaha. He won the Bronze Star that day having run from the seawall back to the beach 3 times retrieving weapons and ammo left behind in a swamped truck. He didnt get so much as a scratch though the next day he came close to being killed by a German sniper as he and a buddy were filling canteens in a pond somewhere off the beach. Neither of them were hit and a 50 calibur on a half track ended the snipers days. I'm very fortuanate that he shares with me, a little at a time his story.

There are so few of those incredibly brave men left those that are still with us are treasures all.

Salute!
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM,
Who said the following:
1) "There it is, I don't like it, but I see no other choice."
2) "Was wollen Ihre Truppen lieber sein, erschoepft, oder tot?"

Bonus points if you can name the actors in the film..."Lace it up," would be too easy.
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM,
(06-07-2010, 11:57 AM)FM WarB Wrote: Who said the following:
1) "There it is, I don't like it, but I see no other choice."
2) "Was wollen Ihre Truppen lieber sein, erschoepft, oder tot?"

Bonus points if you can name the actors in the film..."Lace it up," would be too easy.

Just watched The Longest Day again tonight. Think the first quote was by Eisenhower after he was told there could be a break in the bad weather the next day and he had to make the decision to go ahead with the invasion or not. Think the second was by Rommel when he was inspecting the coastal defences. He wanted more work done but was told that the men were exhausted and he said would they rather be tired or dead? Not sure who the actors were though.